autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Dodo Juice Basics of Bling (Wax Safe Wash)

Review: Dodo Juice Basics of Bling (Wax Safe Wash)

Introduction:
    Last week my neighbors daughter was in town and I was asked if I could take a look at one of her headlights and give her an estimate to heal it. One had been replaced and the other was completely fogged over. Her plan was that when she was back in town next time I could correct it and coat it for her. Well, after seeing the vehicle I had a whole lot of other things I recommended as well.

I was planning to spend that day using this product on our vehicles for this review but with this opportunity I decided I would give the PT a thorough wash. Of course I would have the chance to play with some of my other products as well: Optimum Car Wax for the paint, Ultima Trim and Tire Guard for the trim, and DP Tire Gel for the tires and wheel wells. Next time she is back in town we will see about claying & polishing the vehicle, wet sanding the headlight and doing the interior. The PT hasn’t been polished, waxed, or properly washed in years (since she has owned it) if not since it was built.

Thanks to Shane for sending this sample to me!

Product Description (from AG website):
    Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Wax-Safe Shampoo is a pure and simple car wash made to clean well and leave wax in place. It's a simple formula, void of unnecessary ingredients. But Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Wax-Safe Shampoo is still pH-neutral and full of biodegradable surfactants to get your vehicle truly clean.

Details:
    01.- Packaging: N/A

02.- Directions: 400:1 dilution (1 oz. to 3 gallons)
    03.- Consistency: Medium-Medium Thick

04.- Color: Blue
    05.- Scent: Not much of a scent at all. Very, very mild (My wife says Hibiscus) lol
    06.- Size: 16oz. (500ml)
    07.- Price at time of Review: $12.99
    08.- 3 Gallons of Mixed Solution: $0.81
    .- Manufacturer: Dodo Juice
    10.- Made in: United Kingdom

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1.- (1) bucket with Grit Guard
    2.- MF Chenille Wash Mitt (Cobra)

3.- Pinnacle Bug and Tar Sponge
    4.- Various Brushes
    5.- Metro Master Blaster

Additional products used “unrelated” to the review:
    1.- Optimum Car Wax
    2.- Optimum Opti-Bond

3.- Optimum Opti-Coat
    4.- Ultima Trim & Tire Guard
    5.- Flex 3401 (Quick pass over headlight)
    6.- M105 (Quick pass over headlight)
    7.- Rolled Edge MF Towels (Used for OCW application)
    8.-EcoTouch All Purpose Cleaner
    9.-Amazing Roll Off

A couple pictures before I got started - more to come in the before and after section.

Conditions:
    Ambient Temperature: 92 Degrees (Approx)
    Humidity: 60%

Preparation:
    I started by washing the wheels and tires with Amazing Roll off and various brushes. . I also pulled out my EcoTouch All Purpose Cleaner and used it on one of the wheels. During the washing of the wheels the brushes were kept in a 3-gallon bucket with about 1 gallon of water to 0.75 oz. of DJBob mixed. The faces of the wheels were washed with an Armorall mf wash mitt soaked in DJBob with ARO as a motivator. The wells were scrubbed with an old Mothers brush and ARO.

06A-Before

06B-Swissvax Wheel Brush

06D-Armorall MF Chenille Wash Mitt

06E-Wheel bucket

06F-Nylon Tire Brush

07-After

08-Before

09-After

10-Before

11-After

Product:

1 Ounce of Product:

After washing the wheels and thoroughly rinsing the vehicle I mixed about 1 oz. of DJBoB into about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Then I mixed the solution together with my arm and dropped the Grit Guard in. Finally, I circulated it a little more with a quick jet of water to reach just over 3 gallons of water total.

12-Video: Mixing Solution

Application:

First the roof and windows were washed and rinsed. Next the hood and then the verticals were completed. After washing the front bumper with first the mitt and then the bug sponge I moved on. I saved the rear lid and rear vertical for last because it was in the sun.

As usual I cleaned my mitt with the hose after each section. I used to also dip it in the rinse bucket and scrub it on the guard there but I’ve come to believe that may be a waste of my time since I spray the media out so well with the hose. Therefore more often than not I no longer use the second bucket. After thoroughly spraying out the mitt after each section I wring the water from the mitt so as not to dilute my wash bucket. Then I dip the wash media back in the wash solution and repeat.

On this vehicle the paint was in pretty bad shape. It’s going to get polished in a couple months but until then swirling up the car probably wouldn’t matter. Still, good habits are just that so I didn’t change my method but I did work in larger (more reasonably sized) sections. Time was a factor as the owner hadn’t planned on me doing anything to it that day.

13-Video: Washing a Section with Dodo Juice Basics of Bling

The media I used for washing the PT was the mf wash mitt shown in the video above.

Beyond that the bug and tar sponge was used for the bugs on the front of the vehicle as well as any tar spots discovered on the sides of the vehicle.

14.-Pinnacle Bug & Tar Sponge

Next it was time for the best part of any wash… Drying it with my Master Blaster! http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/36412-review-metro-master-blaster.html

My wife had called me for lunch just as I was finishing the wash, which would normally pose a problem being that it would take awhile to dry the vehicle. Instead I told her I’d be there in 5 minutes. I didn’t miss that mark by more than a minute or two. The rear, which was not protected by canopy, was dried first and after completing the remainder of the vehicle I was inside enjoying a quick meal.

15A- BEFORE

15B- AFTER

16A- BEFORE

16B- AFTER

17A- BEFORE

17B- AFTER

18A- BEFORE

18B- AFTER

19A- BEFORE

19B- AFTER
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Dodo Juice Basics of Bling (Wax Safe Wash)

Headlights:
    After my meal I completed a couple quick passes using my Flex 3401 and a 4” pad with M105. This was a great time as I had another opportunity to use my (one of a kind) 3.875” backing plate. Thank you Tad!! So the headlight was in terrible shape and needed a lot more work but that will come when the car is back in town. For now it was just about removing the safety concern to get by for a few months. It only takes a couple drops so I coated the headlight with Opti-Coat.

20A- BEFORE

20B- AFTER

Trim:

Of course the rear view mirrors, cowl, window trim, etc wanted UTTG to pay a visit, which it did. Unfortunately I forgot to take after shots of the wheel wells, which were dressed with DP Tire Gel along with the tires.

21- BEFORE

22- AFTER

Additional After Shots:

I can hear the paint crying out

To get a second feel for Dodo Juice Basics of Bling I used it a week later on our Blue SL. A few before & after are included below.

80- BEFORE

81- BEFORE

82- AFTER

83- AFTER

84- BEFORE

85- AFTER

86- AFTER

87- AFTER

Pros:
    1.- Good Lubricity
    2.- Good Cleaning Ability
    3.- Rinses easily

???
    1 - Most good car washes are wax safe unless otherwise specified aren’t they?
    2.- Does not have gloss enhancers (Pro or Con – That’s up to you)

Cons:
    1.-Price -With dilution factored in you could pick up others cheaper (Including Ultima or BTBM)

Final Observations and Summary:
    Basics of Bling is above average but I don’t think it’s on the same level as Ultima, Duragloss, or Majestic Ultra Gloss. Lubricity I would rank above the middle of the pack of car shampoos I’ve worked with. This is certainly a good quality wash and I enjoyed using it. However if you were looking to try a Dodo Juice wash I would recommend (of the 3 I have used) that you reach for either Sour Power or Born to be Mild. If you want to add a little gloss it’s Sour Power. If you do not want added gloss I prefer BTBM to BoB. They seem to be fairly similar but BTBM is better and cheaper.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Headlights:

After my meal I completed a couple quick passes using my Flex 3401 and a 4” pad with M105. This was a great time as I had another opportunity to use my (one of a kind) 3.875” backing plate. Thank you Tad!! So the headlight was in terrible shape and needed a lot more work but that will come when the car is back in town. For now it was just about removing the safety concern to get by for a few months. It only takes a couple drops so I coated the headlight with Opti-Coat.

20A- BEFORE

20B- AFTER

Trim:

Of course the rear view mirrors, cowl, window trim, etc wanted UTTG to pay a visit, which it did. Unfortunately I forgot to take after shots of the wheel wells, which were dressed with DP Tire Gel along with the tires.

21- BEFORE

22- AFTER

Additional After Shots:

I can hear the paint crying out

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

To get a second feel for Dodo Juice Basics of Bling I used it a week later on our Blue SL. A few before & after are included below.

80- BEFORE

81- BEFORE

82- AFTER

83- AFTER

84- BEFORE

85- AFTER

86- AFTER

87- AFTER

Pros:
    1.- Lubricity
    2.- Cleaning Ability
    3.- Rinses easily
    4.- Gave me no issues in the sun (not that I pushed my luck)

???
    1 - Most good car washes are wax safe unless otherwise specified aren’t they?
    2.- Does not have gloss enhancers (Pro or Con – That’s up to you)

Cons:
    1.-Price -With dilution factored in you could pick up others cheaper (Including Ultima or BTBM)

Final Observations and Summary:
    Basics of Bling is above average but I don’t think it’s on the same level as Ultima, Duragloss, or Majestic Ultra Gloss. Lubricity I would rank above the middle of the pack of car shampoos I’ve worked with. This is certainly a good quality wash and I enjoyed using it. However if you were looking to try a Dodo Juice wash I would recommend (of the 3 I have used) that you reach for either Sour Power or Born to be Mild. If you want to add a little gloss it’s Sour Power. If you do not want added gloss I prefer BTBM to BoB. They seem to be fairly similar but BTBM is better and cheaper.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another great review Corey

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Corey, Great review!! I really like BOB, but I like BTBM better too. I like that both don't add gloss. At 400:1, shouldn't you have diluted BOB(1 ounce) with a tad over 3 gallons of water?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. I think I am more inclined to try BTBM because it can be diluted 800:1 according to the autogeek page. That would mean 1/2oz to just over 3 gallons or roughly 32 washes if you buy the 500ML bottle. Much more cost effective IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Mark, yes slightly more than 3 gallons was used. It's like .15 or something so aim for 3 and your good.

Yes, the dodo BTBM has incredible dilution. As I mentioned diluted it becomes cheaper than BoB. 1/2 is all that's needed for a few gallons. I used that last weekend on a z4 and will be writing the review tonight/tomorrow.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Hey Corey, Great review!! I really like BOB, but I like BTBM better too. I like that both don't add gloss. At 400:1, shouldn't you have diluted BOB(1 ounce) with a tad over 3 gallons of water?
    Yea, yea. We all read your weird thread about not wanting a gloss shampoo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    As mentioned-

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    ......I mixed about 1 oz. of DJBoB into about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Then I mixed the solution together with my arm and dropped the Grit Guard in. Finally, I circulated it a little more with a quick jet of water to reach just over 3 gallons of water total.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    As mentioned-
    Sorry about that!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast