autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim/Plastic Restorers - 4 different products

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    There are many different plastics/textures, but IMO none of these products can/do "soak in" to exterior cladding materials as the OP applied to.

It's a little unclear to me from your initial post, and I don't have time to scrutinize the thread, I have used both the Black Wow and Poorboy's TR (although not extensively) and I believe the instructions for both are to buff dry. If you don't they will run or spot, as they are both silicone oils. The Ultima is different in the way the Meg's Ultimate Trim product is different from the oil-based products, and IME (with the Meg's) will last longer than the oils, but not that much longer (weeks to months).

I have some and will use soon, but IMO the "ultimate" product for this will be Opti-Coat 2.0...which I probably won't use on trim for a while because of that pesky bottle of C4 I bought...
    The Black Wow directions didn't mention anything about buffing it off. It just said to rub it into the material.

I did buff off the poorboys, but it still ran.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    The Black Wow directions didn't mention anything about buffing it off. It just said to rub it into the material.

I did buff off the poorboys, but it still ran.
    From the AG Black Wow product page: " Buff off excess with a lint-free microfiber cloth. (Use a separate towel than the ones you use on the paint.) "

But whatever...when I said I hadn't used these products extensively...it's because I tried them both and got the same mediocre results you did. There is an Autoglym trim product which is similar but seemed to be a little better...but IMO if you've got $50 for a bottle of C4 or $60 for a syringe of Opti-Coat...that's better than effectively wasting your money on these short-lived products. I'm sure Black Wow is a lot more impressive in dryer climates than we have here on the east coast.

Post Thanks / Like

From the AG Black Wow product page: " Buff off excess with a lint-free microfiber cloth. (Use a separate towel than the ones you use on the paint.) "

But whatever...when I said I hadn't used these products extensively...it's because I tried them both and got the same mediocre results you did. There is an Autoglym trim product which is similar but seemed to be a little better...but IMO if you've got $50 for a bottle of C4 or $60 for a syringe of Opti-Coat...that's better than effectively wasting your money on these short-lived products. I'm sure Black Wow is a lot more impressive in dryer climates than we have here on the east coast.
    Obviously I missed that...I'll have to look at my bottle again. Which could explain the oily spots maybe?

Either way you may be right. I still have faith in the Ultima. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Obviously I missed that...I'll have to look at my bottle again. Which could explain the oily spots maybe?

Either way you may be right. I still have faith in the Ultima. We'll see.
    Yes, I'd say that explains the oily spots. I like that Meg's Ultimate trim stuff, it does seem to last a couple of months, and the Ultima may be even better, but I mostly use these kinds of products on windshield cowlings that have ridges and slots and hard to reach areas, so the appeal of having a permanent or at least 2 year (C4) solution is pretty strong...

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the results coming. I find different products react differently with different plastics.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Jason! Looking forward to future updates as well.

I agree Al.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many different plastics/textures, but IMO none of these products can/do "soak in" to exterior cladding materials as the OP applied to.

It's a little unclear to me from your initial post, and I don't have time to scrutinize the thread, I have used both the Black Wow and Poorboy's TR (although not extensively) and I believe the instructions for both are to buff dry. If you don't they will run or spot, as they are both silicone oils. The Ultima is different in the way the Meg's Ultimate Trim product is different from the oil-based products, and IME (with the Meg's) will last longer than the oils, but not that much longer (weeks to months).

I have some and will use soon, but IMO the "ultimate" product for this will be Opti-Coat 2.0...which I probably won't use on trim for a while because of that pesky bottle of C4 I bought...
    The C4 darkens trim. I wouldnt rule it out too soon!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I seemed to have bad luck with PB Trim Restorer back in the day, I could never get to not run even after buffing when it rained, and it would fade off quickly but only on trucks, other vehicles seemed fine. But I remember others on here saying the same thing with Ford trucks, something in the trim just rejects a lot of products.

Always wanted to try out Black Wow.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be trying uttg and black wow on ford soon . I'll try to give an update. all I ever have used before is back to "faded"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    I seemed to have bad luck with PB Trim Restorer back in the day, I could never get to not run even after buffing when it rained, and it would fade off quickly but only on trucks, other vehicles seemed fine. But I remember others on here saying the same thing with Ford trucks, something in the trim just rejects a lot of products.

Always wanted to try out Black Wow.
    On my Dakota mirrors, I did a side by side with BW and PB's. The PB's looked slightly better but they both ran slightly.

I tried the UTTG and it looked about as good but it does not seem to run. It was also more difficult to apply...massaging it in to get it to work.

The Dakota mirrors are made from a harder more rigid plastic than other plastics and less responsive to products.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast