autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Quick review: Optimum Opti-Clean vs. Ultima Waterless Wash

OK, this is a quick review comparing Optimum Opti-Clean versus Ultima Waterless Wash. I used our white 2000 Honda Odyssey as my test subject - mainly because it was moderately dirty, it was in the garage (where it was fairly warm), and the only other car in the garage was only slightly dusty. My car is the only dark car of the bunch, and from the looks of things, it might be a while before it sees a wash of any sort. Hopefully that isn't the case, but one never knows in winter. Anyway, here goes.

Here's a few befores trying to capture the amount of dirt present on the paint. I think what's on there is about a week and a half or so old, and is from driving from Knoxville to Franklin, TN (~400 miles round trip), with some of that driving in the rain. There is a coat of UPP on there I applied some time ago, but since the van is garaged all the time and doesn't get driven much, that coat of sealant has not deteriorated much at all.

finish is in pretty good shape - just some RIDS and light swirls here and there

Quick video:

Pardon the quality - I used the video option on my point and shoot. No microphone on my camera (who knows why), and I find it rather difficult to shoot video while demonstrating at the same time. Anyway, in conclusion, I found that both cut through the light dirt (mainly the stuff above the black trim piece in the middle of the door) about the same, with the Ultima perhaps being a mite easier. On the heavier stuff (below the trim piece), the winner without a doubt was Ultima. The towel kinda dragged with Opti-Clean, whereas it glided with ease using Ultima. The Ultima in a way seemed to encapsulate the dirt better as well, meaning it picked it up easier. It was also a touch slicker, IMO. Looks wise, both were pretty much the same. I did finish cleaning the van with Opti-Clean, just because I have more of it (I bought the concentrate). So, in conclusion, if you can't decide which one to go with, go with the Ultima. You won't be disappointed.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick review: Optimum Opti-Clean vs. Ultima Waterless Wash

Thanks for the review Shane I feel your pain with the camera. I use my camera to roll tape as well. Taping while I work is an issue but my dog Bella doesn't seem to hold the camera straight. I may have to enlist my wife as a camera woman next time I video.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Shane,

Thanks for the helpful review. I just tried UWW+ and didn't get a chance to try OOC yet. UWW+ is very slick but I'm not sure about OOC yet. I'd guess similar to ONR which would be fine.

Do you feel that UWW+ and OOC are as safe as ONR as an alternative to a bucket and hose wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Shane,

Thanks for the helpful review. I just tried UWW+ and didn't get a chance to try OOC yet. UWW+ is very slick but I'm not sure about OOC yet. I'd guess similar to ONR which would be fine.

Do you feel that UWW+ and OOC are as safe as ONR as an alternative to a bucket and hose wash?
    I feel that waterless washes are pretty safe, yes. I still can't seem to get into the whole rinseless wash thing, but I use waterless washes fairly frequently now and haven't noticed any problems (marring and such) from doing so.
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

bump
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your thought.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm local store has this on sale this week for 9.99 for 32oz concentrate...I am wondering if I should get some..I probably wouldnt use it as a wash..more like a instant detailer and cleaning interior stuff and wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, Shane. Do you mix your products with distilled or RO water or just tap?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail View Post
    Just curious, Shane. Do you mix your products with distilled or RO water or just tap?
    Usually just tap, except for Meguiar's Detailer glass cleaner - that I use filtered water or bottled water for.
    Shane

Post Thanks / Like

I would be curious to see if it would help with the lack of slickness you noticed to use RO water like Optimum ships the ready to use with. I received a sample of Ultima and Freedom Waterless Washes and compared them to Opticlean recently as well. I honestly couldn't see a difference in performance or feel of any of them after the first use. By the third use however, the Optimum was beading like it had been waxed. Because I only got samples, I'm not sure if the Freedom and Ultima packaging claims to leave protection like Optimum or just to clean. With no real performance differences to speak of, I will say that the Optimum seems more viscous and the Ultima smells awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast