autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACK WOW vs. BLACK AGAIN

Background: My daily driver is a 2001 Ford Taurus with 125,080 miles. I've owned her since Aug 2008 and she spends 24/7 outside. I believe the previous owner kept her outside too, due to the condition of the car when I bought her. Anyway, she is my test vehicle that I practice different techniques and try new products on. This is my first official review of any product on AGO.

My lower windshield cowl or trim is plastic and I assume it was black when the car was new. I've used some Armoral when I first got the car (before I ever knew about AG), but it did little to blacken the trim.

I decided to purchase some BLACK AGAIN which retails for $9.99 for 8 oz. That works out to about $1.25 an oz. The directions state to apply with a cloth or applicator pad. You need to rub the product in w/ a back and forth motion until a deep luster is achieved. The product is then UV activated.

I also bought some BLACK WOW which retails for $24.99 for 4 oz. That works out to about $6.25 an oz. The directions state to use a pea sized amount and rub it into the trim w/ a foam applicator. Wipe away excess with a wet paper towel.

Here are two pictures of the test area on the passenger side, below the windshield, after being washed and prior to any dressing. Color is faded gray.

My test subject minutes after applying the products. I left a small area of trim between the products untouched in order to get a good comparison.

10 minutes after product application. Car is still in the garage so the BLACK AGAIN hasn't been activated by the UV light yet.

Car was then moved back out into the driveway and the below picture was taken two hours after application. It appears that the BLACK WOW is soaking into the trim.

Today, 36 hours after application, the BLACK WOW has really soaked in and the gray trim is starting to show again. The BLACK AGAIN is still looking good. The center stripe that I left untouched is almost gone. It looks like the two products have bled into the center. Not a real problem, but I didn't expect the bleeding.

So, it looks like the much cheaper BLACK AGAIN is holding up a lot better than the expensive BLACK WOW. I'll leave the trim untouched until this weekend when I'll take a couple more pictures and update this thread.

The trim was faded pretty bad so I didn't expect a product could make it look brand new , but I'm happy with the BLACK AGAIN so far. Stay tuned for an update.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACK WOW vs. BLACK AGAIN

nice reviews .... have you added any water to see if either streaks or runs on painted surface ???

I use to use Poorboys Trim Restorer for these areas but recently moved to Ultima. I also find Griots Weatherproof dressing works well but seems to have a dye in it and must be removed immediately on areas not meant to be coated.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

No Sir, I haven't added any water. It will most likely rain before Friday and I'll check the trim after the rain or next wash if the rain misses us.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow, black again did a much better job! Nice review.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    nice reviews .... have you added any water to see if either streaks or runs on painted surface ???

I use to use Poorboys Trim Restorer for these areas but recently moved to Ultima. I also find Griots Weatherproof dressing works well but seems to have a dye in it and must be removed immediately on areas not meant to be coated.
    I'm with Scott on Ultima as the best trim dressing I've used so far. As far as BW it needs to be worked in with water. It is super black and durable when worked this way, but it takes some effort. Ultima is so much easier. BTW nice review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    As far as BW it needs to be worked in with water. It is super black and durable when worked this way, but it takes some effort. Ultima is so much easier. BTW nice review.

just wondering if the directions say to work it in using water? i have never used it so that is why i am asking. cause from this review BW got whacked by a little Guido. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with them ^^ Ultima is the best looking and performing trim guard I've used. It literally feels like my trim is as slick as my paint when waxed, and beads too!
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailgod View Post
    just wondering if the directions say to work it in using water? i have never used it so that is why i am asking. cause from this review BW got whacked by a little Guido. lol
    No it doesn't say to spray water and buff, but I tried it on someone's recommendation and it does work well. BW has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust cause it was streakly, sticky and ran soon after a rain. Now that I know how to use it, it's back in my arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Rsurfer is right. The directions didn't say anything about working it in with some water. They did state that you wipe the excess away with a wet towl, which I did, but I didn't work the product in with that wet towel. I just wiped off the little excess I had.

I'll try your suggestion and apply some more BLACK WOW this weekend and work it in with water to see how that comes out.

Looks like I'll have to get my hands on some of this Ultima stuff too. I'm always looking for a great trim product that won't streak in the rain and will last longer than 5 days. Many of todays cars and trucks have plastic trim in several places. IMO, trim that isn't detailed well, sticks out like a sore thumb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast