autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overheating

Post Thanks / Like

overheating

Good morning to everybody online this morning.

I tried out my Groits 3" mini that I purchased during the Memorial Day sale for the first time yesterday and in less than 10 minutes it got so hot I could barely hold it and it stopped working. I was using the same 25' 12ga. extension cord that I use for the PC 7424. I checked it this morning and it's working now that it has cooled off. I'm going to try and polish with it again later to day to see if it happens again but has anyone with one of these experience this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: overheating

I havent tried mine yet. I am planning to use it tonight or tomorrow on my boat. Regardless, it should not have stopped working. I would arrange for a replacement.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I havent tried mine yet. I am planning to use it tonight or tomorrow on my boat. Regardless, it should not have stopped working. I would arrange for a replacement.
    I'm going to contact AG in the morning and see what they suggest. It may have some kind of thermal overload protection built in to it which is good but I agree, it should not have overheated in the first place. Let me know if you experience the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnym View Post
    I'm going to contact AG in the morning and see what they suggest. It may have some kind of thermal overload protection built in to it which is good but I agree, it should not have overheated in the first place. Let me know if you experience the same thing.
    I did not get to it tonight. My son's little league championship was today. We had a 2.5 hr delay from rain. Had to squeegie and rake a lot of water. They ended up winning and we had some of the team over to swim as celebration. We just dropped the last one off. Too tired to start on the boat now. Will try it tomorrow evening. Let me know what AG has to say tomorrow.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the win...!!! I'll be sure to let you know how it works out

Post Thanks / Like

DonnyM,

What is going on with this?

I used mine briefly tonight. It also got very hot in short order. The first buffing cycle smelled hot. By the third cycle, I could barely hold the polisher by the "neck". Mine did not shut off, but, I quit using it after 4 cycles.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may have a defective unit. Box it up and send it to me for further testing

Post Thanks / Like

You know what guys, this sounds very similar to what happened to me with my 6" GGROP. I was using it today, no problems until about 3 hours later it started loosing power. I switched it off, checked the cords, turned it back on and it it puttered then quit working. I came inside, made a few posts, went to go pick up my wife, came back undid the black grip thing and looked and wiggled a few things and it seems to have worked. Must have been that overheated safety thing you were talking about. I did catch a wiff of something electrical a few times. Going to call Dwayne in the morning to see what he recommends. Maybe GG is having issues with something internal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayhkr View Post
    You know what guys, this sounds very similar to what happened to me with my 6" GGROP. I was using it today, no problems until about 3 hours later it started loosing power. I switched it off, checked the cords, turned it back on and it it puttered then quit working. I came inside, made a few posts, went to go pick up my wife, came back undid the black grip thing and looked and wiggled a few things and it seems to have worked. Must have been that overheated safety thing you were talking about. I did catch a wiff of something electrical a few times. Going to call Dwayne in the morning to see what he recommends. Maybe GG is having issues with something internal?
    That almost sound like you may need to replace the brushes. It "should" have came with another set.

Post Thanks / Like

It came with 2 of them, but I have no idea on where they are, or how to replace them. Either way, I shouldn't have to be replacing them after only 2 weeks and it being used 2 times. At least it's working, as of now at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast