autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A few Surf City Product Reviews

Last year I decided to try the Road Trip Grime Destroyer product by Surf City. Like many of you, I'd become pretty jaded by a number of products but it got some good reviews so I gave it a go. Long story short, it's magic in a bottle. Really. If it's not in your aresenal, you are REALLY missing something great.

Based on that experience, I decided to add a few more products to my arsenal for this year, and decided to dip into the Surf City well once again.

This time I added their Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner, and the Clearly Better Glass Cleaner. As per usual, I tried these out on my daily driver before using them on any customer cars.

It's pollen season here in North Florida, so my DD is seeing pretty regular rinseless washings. And I had done a full 2BM wash a few weeks back. But I intentionally left the wheels with the stubborn stuff on them anticipating this purchase.

Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner -

Reason: I bought this cleaner to be my new goto product for dealing with tough dirt on sensitive wheels. I have other cleaners I can use on non-sensitive wheels, and I have gentle cleaners for sensitive wheels, but I wanted something safe but powerful.

Smell: Like the Grime Destroyer, it has an odor, but it's not overpowering, and not too bad. About as strong as APC+ at 10:1.

Usage: I decided to use the product uncut since that is how I use competing products. The product is not "thick" like a gel, it's really quite like an APC. Immediately upon spraying, I could see the brake dust starting to run. The gunk that was still in the lugnut holes started to run down the face of the wheel.

Result: I was quite pleased with the results of this product. Its a very effective cleaner, about the effectiveness of a good APC at 5:1 or 8:1, but without the harshness. It should save me a TON of time doing more sensitive wheels. I used mild agitation on my wheels (daily driver with over 100k) and my wheels came as clean as they do with my usual Eagle 1 A2Z wheel cleaner.

Would I recommend it?: Absolutely. It's effective, and like the rest of my SCG products, it does exactly what it says on the label. A bit more pricey than some of it's competitors to be fair, but it works as advertised.

Clearly Better Glass Cleaner -

Reason: Normally, I use Stoners Invisible Glass. And I am very pleased with that product. In fact, I'll continue to use the spray can inside the car because it clings better than other products I've tried.

Smell: There is no ammonia in this product, and the smell is quite pleasant. Certainly no issue working with it in an enclosed car.

Usage: I used this on external glass surfaces, and on the inside windshield. The product is much like any basic glass cleaner. It's tinted blue. One thing I did notice is that the product "glides". Many glass cleaners seem to either have abrasives or chemicals in them that make a MF Towel grabby for lack of a better word. This glass cleaner did not do that. As advertised, there was zero streaking.

Result: fabulous. It's as good as Invisible Glass. Some people have streaking issues with IG, but I generally do not. In any event, this product didn't streak either and was very easy and pleasant to use. One caveat. My windshield is heavily sloped. And working inside is a bit tricky. I prefer the aerosol from IG for that work as it gives me plenty of working time before the product runs down to the bottom. Based on cost, the Surf City may be more pricey than Stoners.

Would I recommend it?: If Stoners isn't working well for you, I absolutely recommend the Surf City. If you are happy with Stoners keep using it. I didn't NEED a new glass cleaner, but I wanted to get my Surf City order over $50 for the free shipping, and this was a nice way to do it. I'd happily order it again, though in the more economical size.

I would like to say that I am sad that AutoGeek has discontinued their relationship with Surf City. Whatever the reasons may be, they produce a line of absolutely wonderful products that I certainly have enjoyed using and will continue to use. I will also say that the packing methodology from Surf City was a welcome surprise. They use all recycled packing materials, and each item was sealed in plastic. I think I remember there being some issue with their bottles breaking during shipping and perhaps AG was having an issue with breakage and returns. If so, I can understand the issue. But I will continue to support SCG as long as they continue to produce pro level product like this that meet the claims on the bottles.

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A few Surf City Product Reviews

Not sure if you have used their Speed Demon Wax Detailer, but this is my favorite quick wax. I'm still experimenting with their products. Thanks for the review though.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you order your products from? You can PM me if you would rather not post it here.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Where did you order your products from? You can PM me if you would rather not post it here.
    I ordered directly from the company.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Not sure if you have used their Speed Demon Wax Detailer, but this is my favorite quick wax. I'm still experimenting with their products. Thanks for the review though.
    I have not. I may try it at some point, but I tend to stick with Poorboys stuff for things like that because I do many of my details outside in Florida. Their products, along with Optimum products have proven themselves to me. The SCG stuff is truly awesome for cleaning though so that's how I am using it.

I intend to try the Dash Away product later this summer. I want to try their leather conditioner as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Their products are available OTC at Pepboys. They have a few star products. The glass cleaner, Dash away, Grime destryoer(1:1), Beyond Black Tire pro, speed demon and hot rod detailer are all top notch. Try the grime destroyer cut 1:1 as a wheel cleaner. It does wonders and is very gentle.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Their products are available OTC at Pepboys. They have a few star products. The glass cleaner, Dash away, Grime destryoer(1:1), Beyond Black Tire pro, speed demon and hot rod detailer are all top notch. Try the grime destroyer cut 1:1 as a wheel cleaner. It does wonders and is very gentle.
    Yes, I was at Pep Boys tonight. I nearly picked up some Dash Away, but decided to hold off for another few weeks. Pep Boys doesn't carry the larger sizes and frankly the SCG products are just too expensive in the RTU sizes. Buying them in bulk is the only thing that makes sense.

I have used the Grime Destroyer 3:1 on wheels in the past and was very pleased. But I go through that stuff so quickly as it is since I used it as a pre-wash, engine cleaner, etc. I bought a 2-liter of it with this order I just got, so hopefully that will last a bit longer. I'd buy it by the gallon if they sold it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Is their stuff limited to certain Pep Boys stores? I don't think I've ever seen their products in my local Pep Boys. Just curious.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know it's national, but maybe not all Pep Boy's carry them. I know the parent company owns O-Reily's and some other stores, so check there as well. But honestly, ordering from the company directly is simple and easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Advance Auto carries their line also. I picked up a bottle of Barrier Reef Carnauba Wax some time last year. I also picked up their Shine On sealer & glaze system. I haven't used either one yet. A case of too many products and too few cars.

IIRC, AG dropped Surf City at around the same time Advance Auto and PepBoys picked them up. Can't blame AG for dropping them. Why order and pay extra for shipping when you can just pick it up OTC at the nearest Advance Auto, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast