autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Leatherique

I purchased this product back around Christmas but was waiting for things to heat up a bit and to have some time on my hands. Over the past couple days I tested it on some regularly abused leather over 10 years old. See "Method of Application and noted Observations" for details

Product(s) used previously:
    1Z Einszett Leather Care
    Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner (Seperate products)

Initial Product Observations:
    Manufacturer Claims: True as far as I can tell
    Packaging: Clear Plastic bottles with regular screw on lids (no spray or snap spout lid provided)
    Labels: Oooh...Shiny..... my precious....

A.-Rejuvinator Oil
    Consistency: Liquid Thin / Oily
    Color: Bronze / Brown
    Scent: Kind of a peanut oil/leather/chemical scent (Can't quite place it) It's not a nice smell (during application anyway)
    Size: 16oz
    Regular Price: 29.99
    Price Per oz: $1.87
    Additional sizes available: 32 oz.

Posted on label of bottle:
    Contains no harmful silicone, wax, or petroleum products

B.-Prestine Clean
    Consistency: Liquid Thin / Milky
    Color: Off-White
    Scent: A very faint scent almost like a vanilla mixed with a hint of alcohol (hard to describe)
    Size: 16oz
    Regular Price: 19.99
    Price Per oz: $1.25
    Additional sizes available: 32 oz.

Additional products used for prep or during application:
    1.- Vinyl and Leather scrub brush - $3.99 -
    http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html

2.- Cotton Terry cloth
    3.- Vinyl gloves (disposable)
    4.- Bottle with snap cap dispersal lid
    5.- Bottle with spray cap dispersal lid
    6.- Saran Wrap

Method of Prep:
    1.- Recomend to Vacuum Seats (I washed them with Lexol instead since I didn't want to Leatherique the entire seats at this time)
    2.- Shake bottle and pour some rejuvenator oil into a bottle with snap cap dispersal lid
    3.- Shake bottle and pour some prestine clean into a bottle with a spray head
    4.- Shake "application" bottles well during any applications

Method of Application and noted Observations:
    Caring for leather (particularly finished leather) has been one thing that for me has been more confusing then probably anything else. A lot of people say due to the coating on the finished leather there is no need to condition it. That in fact you need to care for the coating as you are unable to access the leather itself. The argument is that the oils, proteins, conditioners, or whatever else may be in the product of your choice can not reach the leather and is useless. It is just being rubbed on the "impenetrable" coating that makes it finished leather. This seems logical for the most part and I leaned slightly that way for a time. I have thought about it some more and to make a statement like that I would think you would need to know the makeup of each one of those products as well as the actual sizes of the different types of particles that are in those products in order to say none of them can penetrate this finish. You would also need to know the density of the coating which you are trying to penetrate. Obviously I'm not educated enough on the subject so hopefully one of our chemical engineer friends on the site can break it down for us. What I can tell you is that one way or the other Leatherique did make this finished leather softer. Let me back up for one moment. Most important thing to note when caring for leather (something which everybody agrees upon) is to keep it clean. Wipe it down with a damp cloth once a week for starters.

In the photos you will see an area on one side that was cleaned with Lexol and the other is the test area where Leatherique was applied twice. In the interest of full disclosure the side cleaned with Leatherique was cleaned more then once with my leather scrub brush and cotton cloth. With enough applications and scrubbing the Lexol will probably make the leather look just as clean as the Leatherique. My main purpose in this review was to find whether or not Leatherique actually makes leather softer which should equate to a longer life with no cracking.

I applied the rejuv. oil over the test area and massaged it in. Then placed saran wrap over it to heat the area up even further. In retrospect the wrap was probably a waste of time unless I was going to hit it with a hair dryer. I let the rejuv. sit for 30 hours with the windows up. Note: It is important to get the area as warm as possible during application of both the rejuv. and the prestine clean. This allows them to penetrate the leather better. I then sprayed the prestine clean on and let it sit about 1 minute before scrubbing and then washing it off. I was disappointed to feel no difference in the leather but as Leatherique says for cardboard hard leather several applications will be necessary. I applied the rejuv. oil a second time and waited a few hours before removing it with the Prestine clean the same as before. This time I was able to notice a difference in the softness of the leather. I will be doing a third treatment as I am pretty sure that will make it even softer. Can't wait to use it on the Sky.

Preparation and Products I

Preparation and Products II

Preparation and Products III (Sorry I didn't get one of the Prestine clean)

Rear passenger seat (1st application of Rejuv. oil)

50/50 after 2nd cleaning with Prestine clean I

50/50 after 2nd cleaning with Prestine clean II

50/50 after 2nd cleaning with Prestine clean III

50/50 after 2nd cleaning with Prestine clean IV

Pros:
    1.- Really deep cleans and softens

2.- Gently cleans by lifting the dirt out over the period of the dwell time
    3.- Cleans stitching nicely without leaving any residue
    4.- A good cleaner for something that seems to be engineered to protect
    5.- Soft but not too slippery when finished
    6.- Smell of vehicle after seats have been cleaned

Cons:
    1.- Dwell Time

2.- Price
    3.- Smell during application (not an issue for me but some might care)

Here is a little of the manufacturer info:

Leatherique Pristine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil work with a capillary action. The proteins, cleaners, and conditioners find their way deep into the natural pores of the leather and force out the dirt, perspiration, air pollution, and other toxins that dry out and destroy the fibers of the leather, depleting the fibers strength and flexibility, and causing them to deteriorate...

and some more...

The enriching formula, once bonded with the spongy leather fibers, continues to nourish the hides for several months. On cardboard hard leather, several applications may be required. Then for maintenance, use one application 2-4 times per year.

Prestine clean is a natural, gentle ph correct cleaner that is formulated to be a perfect stand alone cleaner for maintenance dusting and detailing of all the leather, vinyl, pvc plastic, and is also wonderful to soften black rubber trim on seals, as well as keeping your tires clean and plump without the glazed donut look.

Although it was named Rejuvenator Oil by founding fathers, Ty Peck and George Pavlisko, Sr., this product actually contains no fillers such as mineral oil or petroleum products as Lexol and other products do. The formula is based on a natural Old Swedish secret and is a complex blend of proteins and collagens that actually restore the tensile strength to the leather.
    Our Rejuvenator does not just sit on top of the leather making it slick and greasy, nor will it be absorbed into the stitching to rot it as commercial products do.
    Tests have been performed on our products by outside sources. They have determined that Rejuvenator Oil in unique in it’s concept, and contains more beneficial ingredients than any competing formula, or any other leather treatment product on the market!

And the link: http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Leatherique

As ALWAYS Corey absolutely superb review, very in depth and comprehensive. So very thorough, you are the king of the reviews; Review Dog! Thank you for taking the time to share such a qaulity review with us. (Just a little tip for those who have seat warmers: When I condition my leather seats I turn the seat warmers on prior to conditioning, as Corey stated, heating the seats helps allow the conditioner to penatrate better).
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    As ALWAYS Corey absolutely superb review, very in depth and comprehensive. So very thorough, you are the king of the reviews; Review Dog! Thank you for taking the time to share such a qaulity review with us. (Just a little tip for those who have seat warmers: When I condition my leather seats I turn the seat warmers on prior to conditioning, as Corey stated, heating the seats helps allow the conditioner to penatrate better).
    Thanks Tad! Great idea on the seat warmers

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review Cory, definately a great way to break down a product review! I am now on my second bottle of Rejuvenator Oil and love the stuff; I too am a bit weary of all the conflicting information on leather care from one manufacturer to another, and have decided that because Leatherique works very well, I will stick with it.

I never noticed much of a smell, I will have to try that seat heater trick though!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, thanks for the posting. I have used Leatherique on my 07 Range Rover with great success. The Rejuvenator Oil was amazing (and using the seat heaters is great with the current cooler weather here in the north - Alberta Canada), my seats were 3 yrs old and I am sure had never been treated. After two solid treatments of Rejuvenator Oil, the leather was truly soaked, the leather is noticeably softer and more supple, some of the leather creases disappeared. Pristine Clean was used and I was surprised at the amount of dirt that was expelled. I actually thought my seats were quite clean only needing hydration. Agree with "christian900se" when on a good thing why change.

Post Thanks / Like

great review indeed .... and I concur it is likely the messiest product application/removal process but works and is noticable even on coated leather. I suggest it annually, and a good leather protectant monthly.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    Fantastic review Cory, definately a great way to break down a product review! I am now on my second bottle of Rejuvenator Oil and love the stuff; I too am a bit weary of all the conflicting information on leather care from one manufacturer to another, and have decided that because Leatherique works very well, I will stick with it.

I never noticed much of a smell, I will have to try that seat heater trick though!
    Thank you! btw: I saw on other posts that you were at DF? I didn't get to meet you did I?

Quote Originally Posted by olbear1962 View Post
    Great review, thanks for the posting. I have used Leatherique on my 07 Range Rover with great success. The Rejuvenator Oil was amazing (and using the seat heaters is great with the current cooler weather here in the north - Alberta Canada), my seats were 3 yrs old and I am sure had never been treated. After two solid treatments of Rejuvenator Oil, the leather was truly soaked, the leather is noticeably softer and more supple, some of the leather creases disappeared. Pristine Clean was used and I was surprised at the amount of dirt that was expelled. I actually thought my seats were quite clean only needing hydration. Agree with "christian900se" when on a good thing why change.
    Thank you, I am hoping to see the same as far as removing the leather creases when I use it on Sky. I will take before and afters and add them to the review.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    great review indeed .... and I concur it is likely the messiest product application/removal process but works and is noticable even on coated leather. I suggest it annually, and a good leather protectant monthly.
    Thanks Scott, I am planning to do as you mention annually on my Sky. I may go bi-annual at the most. I do use the Lexol Cleaner and 1z leather conditioner about every other month and wipedown with damp mf every week or 2.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Like usual, excellent review!!!

In the 50/50 shots, there's a very noticeable difference between the cleaning power of Lexol and Pristine clean. I wonder if you cleaned twice with Lexol, if it would have been on par with pristine clean?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Like usual, excellent review!!!

In the 50/50 shots, there's a very noticeable difference between the cleaning power of Lexol and Pristine clean. I wonder if you cleaned twice with Lexol, if it would have been on par with pristine clean?
    Thank you!

I think cleaning twice with lexol probably not but maybe 3 times. I will take the scrub brush and the Lexol to it some more and see what I can do and get back to you on that.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Thank you! btw: I saw on other posts that you were at DF? I didn't get to meet you did I?
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to come after all; I was in Daytona Beach for a couple days and was planning on making it up to AG but I was not able to in the end which I am very unhappy about because I really enjoy getting to know other forum members in real life. Oh well, I will shoot for next year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast