autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro

I was at advance auto today and was in a pinch for some new tire treatment. I've been using Megs Hyper Dressing which I LOVE for exterior Trim, but I don't like it for tires and wheel wells. Even after diluting it seems to come out of the bottle like mayonnaise and is hard to spread over tire treads. It could be the Megs Bottle/sprayer though because I just picked up some APC+ with a megs bottle sprayer and its a little finicky about how it comes out. And that stuff is pure liquid. I was going to go with the old Megs Hot Shine / Black Magic / Etc (hate them all) But then I saw this stuff and remember another forum member saying good things. I was very hesitant because it was 16 DOLLARS! For that I could have tried the Optimum Tire Spray.

So I did buy this for a detail I'm doing today. In the parking lot I decided to give it a try on my 31" BF Goodrich AT Jeep Tire. Granted my tires are filthy and this is not the way to properly test a tire dressing but it came out of the bottle like a dream, thin and even. The liquid pooled in the treads and had a bluish tint to it kind of like Hyper-dressing but gave a beautifully even spray unlike every other dressing Ive used, silicone or not. I had an old terry cloth wash cloth in the back of the jeep that I used to buff the tire.

Now the review.

The "Beyond Black" part is accurate. My tire was incredibly black. After buffing it had a nice matte ZERO gloss sheen to it. The tire looked new. Even though I knew all I did was spray over the dirt. I went and touched it and I cant stress how NOT greasy the tire was. I rubbed my finger HARD trying to get some kind of residue on my finger but NOTHING was on there. It was amazing. Even water based hyper dressing has SOME sort of residue to it. I read the entire bottle trying to see what the base was and it didn't say. I'm assuming its water.

This will definitely help dirt NOT stick to the tire. When I got home the matte was a bit flatter in sheen but I'm sure the dirt and brake dust that was on the tire absorbed some of the dressing causing the flat sheen. I will come back after I'm done doing this Tacoma and Ill take a few pics.

See you guys in 5 hours.

Kris
    Last edited by Kris R; 02-05-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Pro

I was in Advance Auto yesterday and noticed Surf City filled up a large part of their shelves. Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I'm done with the truck and I had to experiment a little with the BBTP. Even though the tires were really clean the final result was still a hair above FLAT. I sprayed as directed, let dry (soak in) for about 5 minutes and then came back and buffed off the excess with a towel. Still MUCH darker than before but almost NO sheen. So I came back after doing other things like windows and such and I sprayed another coat on, only this time instead of buffing off with a towel I got one of those super soft foam applicators and went around and around the tire with it till the product evened out. By doing this I think it does 2 things; 1- picked up some of the excess with the foam and 2- helped the tire absorb a little more of the product. End result was a true MATTE finish that I was happy with. I'm used to a little more gloss on the tires, but I have Megs Hyper Dressing for that.

With water based dressing I have learned that if you have a surface such as a tire or plastic trim that has been dried out, the dressing will look good for a short time until it "drinks" it all up and goes back to looking dried out again. I did an experiment with my monthly maintenence on my wifes CRV that has black trim on the bottom. I apply a good coat every wash to the trim and it stays hydrated for a good month. Even through rain and such. One good pass a month with Hyper dressing keeps it nice and black. On vehicles that have been neglected that application doesnt last very long.

So Im thinking SSG:BBTP is the same. The first few coats will soak in and after that it should hold up better as I was able to see after a few applications to the tire. And also depending on your application method will change the sheen a bit.

So all in all a good product. A little pricey but I was able to spray the wheel wells with great results and wipe some exterior plastic trim with it and it was NOT greasy at ALL when it was dry and buffed. And it was nice and black too. This stuff has UV protection in it so Im sure that helps.

Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

No Problem KeepitClean!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

How does it compare to opti bond if you've tried that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    How does it compare to opti bond if you've tried that?
    never tried it. i want to though!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

This has been my tire dressing of choice for about a year now. Still will be on customer cars. For the price per application + how long it lasts + the look it gives, I don't think you can beat it. I do understand however that some people really like the Optimum. I just don't have a real need to try it...

I have to say though, I tried the Poorboys Trim Restorer on mine a few weeks ago, and it has lasted through a snow storm and a couple of rains and still looks great. Wish I had bought it on BOGO when it was on there.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post
    This has been my tire dressing of choice for about a year now. Still will be on customer cars. For the price per application + how long it lasts + the look it gives, I don't think you can beat it. I do understand however that some people really like the Optimum. I just don't have a real need to try it...

I have to say though, I tried the Poorboys Trim Restorer on mine a few weeks ago, and it has lasted through a snow storm and a couple of rains and still looks great. Wish I had bought it on BOGO when it was on there.

DLB
    Trim restorer on your tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS R View Post
    I was at advance auto today and was in a pinch for some new tire treatment. I've been using Megs Hyper Dressing which I LOVE for exterior Trim, but I don't like it for tires and wheel wells. Even after diluting it seems to come out of the bottle like mayonnaise and is hard to spread over tire treads......
    Kris
    Are you sure you are using Meguiars Hyperdressing? Megs HD(Detailer Line) is not even considered thick to begin with and when diluted its just like water. I think your confusing this product with another. AG used to carry the SCG line and dropped it a few years ago. Their products are pretty good and I used to use the beyond black till I found out about DG 253. Gives it a better like new look and actually lasts through the rain unlike SCG BB.

Post Thanks / Like

use to carry the line at Autogeek and this product had a nice following. Its a blue colored dressing and looks cool till dried and cured completely. Its heavy matte bold black coloring.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast