autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Review : Ultima Paint Protectant

Let me start this quick review by stating in advance that I am a hard critic on these newer WOWA (Wipe On Walk Away) sealants and to date have found none that have replaced a traditional sealant in durability. I do find the technology "could" be rather cool (ie. no buffing) but expect the product to act better in the hands of all users. The technology though appears in its infancy for car care products.

This product seems to offer the same benefits that products like Optimum Optiseal and Zaino CS offer. What they remind me of personally is the old acrylic floor sealants like Mop and Glow and in truth they seem to act like them. To date I have found Zaino CS to be the easiest to use, Optiseal to offer the most gloss, and both to streak unless used extremely sparingly and still on darker colors note some streaking.

The Ultima product did not offer much difference. Immediately noted was the over application when using a foam applicator. Moved to a MF applicator and still saw some streaking using one spray per panel max. I allowed thirty minutes outside of direct heat and humidity to dry and streaking was still present. I then tried to remove with a lightly damp MF towel as done with the previous two and it would not budge. I needed to use a detail spray with some light cleaning ability to remove what I presume was excess application. It did not seem to effect the durability in this application.

The Paint Protectant seemed to offer decent beading and durability for the first two weeks. Their soap and Detail Spray seemed to work well in unison with the sealant. I was unfortunate enough to have been attacked by a group of birds that must have ate some bad Mexican and the hood was etched beyond belief after wiping off the same afternoon. (never experienced this etching prior with any sealant, however dont pretend to note what was in the doo-doo either). It took Menzerna PowerFINISH to repair the hood and premature removal of the Paint Protectant. In all fairness this was only one coat and not applied after using their Paint Prep product.

In closing, no I did not reapply the sealant and go for another test. Currently two many products and again I personally am not to keen on these WOWA sealants quite yet. I have used on uncoated aluminum wheels for Corvette and not seen any issues and seems to be protecting as well as Optiseal.

I would love to hear thoughts / experiences from those using this sealant and your advice and outcome. Especially those doing a true side by side comparison on all three WOWA sealants. Durability, Streaking (ease of use), and protection would be judging points.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Review : Ultima Paint Protectant

Killr, appreciate your unbias opinion on UPGP. However, like most Auto Geeks we just can't stand to see our paint with streaks. I don't remember if the bottle or the pamphlet stated that you should not try to remove the streaks. Let cure for 12 hrs. and then wash or QD. Streaks will diminish. The main advantage of UPGP/Opti Seal, is that it takes 10 min. to fully seal your paint. Granted it does have a hard candy shine, but some like that, as some like shinney tires.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with UPGP:
    1) It takes practice to use the right amount because it's hard to believe so little can cover so much. It streaks if you use too much, but that will calm down when you learn to trust the product.
    2) You need at least two coats to ensure full coverage because its really hard to see what/where you've already applied.
    3) 3 coats will give you the optimum protection and gloss. It seems to last for a few months.
    4) Use a MF applicator as per instructions

The biggest drawback for me = 3 coats for a great looking/protecting job, but you have to wait at least 12 hours preferably 24 hours between coats. If it's your own car, not much of a problem. Another story if it's a client's car.
    It's easy to maintain after the initial 3 coats. After a wash, if you feel like it, spend 4 more minutes and apply a refresher coat.
    Heatgain (Gary)
    The Irate Magistrate
    Neutral & Detached

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using UPGP on my wife's cars, first the Taurus and now more recently the CR-V. I have not experienced streaking. I use one spray on the microfiber applicator per panel, as instructed, but I find it difficult to judge whether a large panel requires a second spray (see below).

The Autopia Car Care website addresses the problem of streaking:

When I apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus it looks like it has streaks. Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. Allow the product to dry completely. Whatever you do, do not get anxious and wipe the surface with a towel. Allow Ultima Paint Guard Plus to dry completely so it can form its protective barrier.

How long does Ultima Paint Guard Plus take to dry or cure?

Ultima Paint Guard Plus can be dry to the touch, but not cured. Depending on the temperature and humidity, Ultima Paint Guard Plus can dry in as little as 15 minutes, but it can take as long as a few hours. Curing, which means the polymers have fully cross linked, requires a full 6+ hours. We recommend allowing your car to sit overnight before wiping.

Do Not Buff Off or Wipe!: After application, you can sit back and watch as Ultima Paint Guard Plus does its job. When properly applied, your vehicle's paint finish will be very glossy and streak-free in less time than it takes to buff off a traditional car wax product (about 30 minutes). Although you may be tempted to touch and wipe your paint finish... DON'T! If you simply can't keep you hands off the amazing Ultima shine, we recommend that you wait at least a full hour or more before wiping. The longer you wait (up to 12 hours) the better. After 1 hour, you can drive your vehicle. Driving (air friction) will accelerate the cure time.
    My biggest problem with UPGP is that I cannot see it on the painted surface, though I can see it on the black trim. Sealing a car is a real act of faith. I found I personally need to do a second coat the next day just to assure myself that the car has been completely waxed!

I cannot comment much about durability. I know that I got at least eight weeks on the Taurus, but in preparation for selling it I added a fresh coat of UQW two weeks ago. I have applied three coats of UPGP to the CR-V during the past two weeks. It looks very good.

The ease of use is a huge plus for me. I love applying the stuff and just walking away. I also love that I can apply it to the black trim and cladding.

I do not know if either the Taurus or CR-V would look "better" in another sealant. Before the UPGP, I used Collinite 845 on the Taurus. UPGP certainly looks as good. Since I am not as personally invested in the CR-V as I am in my own car, I am not tempted to switch to another sealant. I like how easy UPGP is to apply, and I like not needing to worry about buffing it off. If my wife wants something "better," she'll just have to do it herself.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by akimel; 06-29-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Never used UPGP and I don't think I ever will as I am quite satisfied with Zaino Z-CS. I don't find this type of product to be truly WOWA as I always have to go back and spray the vehicle down with a QD and buff out the streaks once it is dry. Application is a bit tricky so I intentionally apply too much so I can see where I applied. It's still faster to apply and buff off than a traditional paste or liquid but it's not for newbies.

All this being said, these WOWA products offer excellent diversity. Z-CS bonds very well to paint, chrome, glass, plastic, and even trim. When teamed up with a durable base-coat sealant, WOWA products can offer excellent long-lasting protection. As a stand-alone product, I say NO WAY, but the potential is definitely there. We will just have to see how the technology progresses over time.
    08 Subaru WRX