autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up *Review!* Meguiar's New Soft Buff 2.0 Pads!!!

Hey everyone,

***This review will be broken into 2 parts as I have gone way over the max word count allowed per post!

Part 1

Over the years, one Meguiar’s item that has been a constant in my detailing has been their Soft Buff Pads: W-7000/7006, W-8000/8006, and W-9000/9006. When I first started detailing with a rotary some 20 plus years ago, I used Meguiar’s pads that had a built in backing plate that attached to the rotary. Then when I began using the Velcro versions after they came on to the market, I thought to myself: “It does not get any better than this…one plate and multiple pads!”

When Meguiar’s told me about some new pads they were bringing out, I was really curious about just how different could they be over the current ones. As you will see, they are very different and in a very good way!

The New Soft Buff 2.0 Pads come in 3 different aggressive levels that correspond similarly with their counterparts:
    **New** W-7207 Cutting Pad, **New** W-8207 Cutting Pad, and **New** W-9207 Cutting Pad. They feature a new 7” size that works perfectly with both Dual Action Polishers like the G110 and rotaries. They contain a recessed back just like the Solo pads so using the Solo backing plate tucks right into the recess perfectly. And two of the best new features in my opinion are the attaching method which uses a laminate to prevent wicking through of product to the Velcro which is a feature I consider very important; and, the fact that they are now machine washable! Awesome!

Here is a picture of the new pads. The New Soft Buff 2.0 are down the centre with the current models on the left and the Solo models on the right.

Here is a picture of the backing plate/Velcro system. Meguiar's photo:

Here is the new 2.0 pad using the standard W-67DA backing plate. Notice how the Velcro has an edge making it very easy to center the pad:

When I first received the New Soft Buff 2.0 pads for testing, I began by thoroughly looking the pads over. The new W-9207 Finishing Pad feels really soft and smooth, similar to the foam material used for the Solo Finishing Pad, which to me already makes this pad a winner as I love the Solo Finishing Pad! The new foam is indeed different than the W-9000/9006 Finishing Pads as the new foam feels both softer and perhaps a little denser. The slight increase in pad size is noticeable and as you will see very beneficial.

The second pad I reviewed was the New W-8207 Polishing Pad. This pad uses the same foam as the current W-8000/8006 Polishing Pads. The polishing pads are probably the pad that will get the most use by most people. I have spent many years using the W-8000/8006 foam and just love it. Again, the size difference and recessed backing plate attachment points are notably different between the W-8006 and the new W-8207 and are quite noticeable.

Finally, the pad that many including myself are very curious about: the New W-7207 Cutting Pad. Having the same size and attachment features as the above, the first thing that stood out to me was the density of the foam. Opening a new W-7006 pad from the package gives you a pretty stiff pad that does with use soften up considerable. But when looking at the new cutting pad you can visually see and feel the new foam’s cell structure and how it differs from that of the W-7006’s foam. It is perhaps the new foam technology and other features which allow the new W-7207 pad to be used with a Dual Action Polisher! ***Please note that Meguiar's still does not recommend using their foam cutting pad with the DA Polisher. However, I have used them many many times and have had no issues at all. Just beware that you may get haze, requiring another buffing step; nothing out of the ordinary.***

Here is a picture of the current W-7006 Cutting Pad (Left) versus the New W-7207 Pad (Right)

Another picture with the W-7006 pad on top of the new W-7207. Take note of the difference in the foam cell structure.

But all is theory until it is put into practice and actually tested in the real world! I had a vehicle lined-up to detail and was planning on using the new pads. But as luck or bad luck would have it, things changed. I just finished detailing my truck which is one many are by now quite familiar with and one which was rotary buffed out leaving the paint looking awesome. About 3 weeks later during one of the regular washings, I noticed a real drag on my wash mitt as it did not glide over the paint like it always does. The culprit was bad over-spray! At work, one of the maintenance guys was spray painting/sealing a building with a long wand. The paint cloud was enormous and as a result, my truck was coated with over-spray! Suddenly, my easy detail was changed to a full on, aggressive claying, rotary buff out on my truck that was just detailed! Oh well…

I used the new pads with both the rotary and the Meguiar’s G110 Dual Action Polisher and what I discovered was pleasantly surprising. After using the Solo light cut wool pad on the rotary for some deeper marring, it was off to use the new foam pads! First off was the W-7207 Cutting Pad, I used it with the rotary spinning at 1500 RPM to remove some light marring due to the aggressive claying. The combo was smooth with no chattering or bounce which can be caused by a fresh cutting pad. This combo did give me a very slight haze to my dark paint, but to me, the haze seemed slightly less that the W-7006/rotary combo I normally use would usually produce on dark paint. I followed this step with the W-7207 on the G110 set to speed 5. Previously, with the W-7006 Cutting, it was not recommended using the W-7006 pad with the G110 as that combo could haze the paint leaving a person relatively new to machine polishing in big trouble. But with the new W-9207 Cutting Pad/G110 combo, there was no to extremely minimal paint hazing and believe me, I looked from every angle and with multiple lights just to make sure. Now I am not saying that on softer paints that the G110/W-7207 combo will not haze paint as it just may but in my case it did not. I will update the thread as I use this combo on other paints and see at what point the combo if/when it leaves hazing in some paints.

Picture of the truck after compounding work was completed:

Next step was polishing. I am a perfectionist, and I like the paint I detail to end up being flawless. This desire requires multiple steps and refinement of steps/products along the way; so next up was the New W-8207 Polishing Pad. Again, I used it with both the rotary and the G110. The paint was already looking really good and probably did not need to be polished with the rotary, but I wanted to see how this new pad would perform. As expected, since it uses the same foam as the W-8000/8006 its performance was on par with that of its counterpart. What I did like was the way the recessed backing plate area fit perfectly to my Solo backing plate which lives on my rotaries! This recessed area automatically centers the pad which is very important when rotary polishing! On the G110, the pad also responded the same as expected. However there was one new benefit to these new pads that I discovered.

The larger pad size created one other benefit that I never realized until I actually used it with the G110 and the W67 DA backing plate: it allowed the pad to flex at its edges thereby allowing the pad to better conform to the curvatures of the body panels and body lines! At first I was not sure if I like that or not, but after buffing for a few hours, I realized that I like that ‘feature’ more and more all the time!

Here is a picture with the pad flexing in a curve on the truck's body panel:

Con't to next post for Part 2
    Last edited by 2hotford; 05-17-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: *Review!* Meguiar's New Soft Buff 2.0 Pads!!!

***Part 2!

Finally, the new W-9207 Finishing Pad. Because I wanted to try it with both the rotary and the G110, and having only one pre-production pad of each type, I could not cross contaminate the pad by using different products with it. So I chose to use Meguiar’s M21 2.0 Synthetic Sealant which can be used by both rotary and dual action polishers. The new foam of the W-9207 is a pure pleasure to use! It just floats across the surface easily and effortlessly. Sometimes when using a finishing pad, it can get grabby, especially with the rotary, but not so with this new pad’s foam material. With the rotary set to 1000 RPM, I did not get any holograms, but that does not mean that it will not create them. It just means that I may be using this combo more in the future! In my case, it created this beautiful liquid look to the paint! I followed for my second coat of M21 2.0 with the W-9207 with the G110 set to speed 3. Again, the pad’s new foam allowed me to spread a second of M21 2.0 very easily.

Now for the clean-up!

One of the new features that I like about the new 2.0 pads is that they are able to be washed in a washing machine! From my days as the Super Moderator on Meguiar’s Online, when discussing the older series of pads, I used to post probably 25 times a week that Meguiar’s does not recommend the washing of their pads. I always gave that caveat, albeit, I myself used to wash them in a bucket of water and Dawn Soap. If the person decided to wash the pads, as I did, then you were on your own if a pad failed. Now, I had tried washing the older pads in the washing machine and that was not a good idea as I did have the Velcro loosen badly.

Luckily, Meguiar’s kept improving their Velcro system on their pads until it got to the point where I could wash the pads in a bucket and Dawn Soap and not have any problems. That does not help all of the pads I had fall apart on me, but I knew the risks. When the new 2.0 versions were being introduced, I was able to test the pre-production models. My testing consisted of their intended use, the polishing of paint etc, and also washing them as these were designed to be thrown into the washing machine when you were finished buffing!

So before I went ahead and washed the pads, I decided to ask my wife first just in case. She eagerly agreed! LOLOLOLOL

Here they are getting ready for the big wash:

I decided to try liquid Tide as that is all that I used for my microfiber towels, so I thought, why not!

No turning back now!

So how did they turn out? Fantastic! They came out almost like brand new!

At this point I normally allow my pads to air dry, but I figured, let’s push my luck a little, so I placed them in the dryer at low heat to dry and it worked!

But this last point I think I should comment on. After washing and drying this way, I have found that the pads, particularly the cutting pads, do have the plastic laminate lifting from the edge of pad. The newest versions do not seemed to be affected as badly by the problem my pre-production pads have, but just beware. That is why I will continue to wash them in the washer, but will air dry them from now on.

In the end, I enjoyed using these new pads very much. After I do a few more vehicles with them, I will be able to comment on their durability and how well the new backing plate/laminate system holds up. So far I have not experienced any wicking through of product to the backing plate, which is a major plus in my eyes. Also some like me may really enjoy the slightly larger size of the new pads and the extra flex they provide when used on the G110, but others may prefer the stiffer sides of the current model of pads. In the end, it comes down to personal preference, and for me, these new pads are going to get used…a lot.

The completed truck!

I hope this review helps!

Tim
    Last edited by 2hotford; 05-17-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome write up this is good info
    I am a underachieving at overachieving and feel good about it

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's what i call a awesome write up !!!
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, very nice write up, but I'm having a difficult time accepting that a 7" pad will work with a G10. Granted I don't own a G10, but it can't be much more powerful than a pc. And a pc has a tough time correcting with a 6" pad much less a 7" pad. Your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Yes, very nice write up, but I'm having a difficult time accepting that a 7" pad will work with a G10. Granted I don't own a G10, but it can't be much more powerful than a pc. And a pc has a tough time correcting with a 6" pad much less a 7" pad. Your thoughts.
    Very valid question!

One of the biggest issues with the DA as far as I am concerned is that too many people are trying to use the DA for more than it is capable of doing. For 80-90% of any detail work I do, I use the rotary polisher. However with the new SMAT abrasives being used in products like Meguiar's M105 and M205, the DA can do amazing correctional work that one could not even be imagined a couple of years ago!!

So can the PC or G-110 do paint correction? Sure, to a certain extent it can, but there are several factors that must be considered. For example, we need to consider:

1. The hardness or softness of the paint.
    2. The types of Pads used
    3. Types of compounds and abrasives used in the compounds
    4. Speed of the DA
    5. The orbit size of the DA
    6. Technique and size of area being worked on at one time etc

In terms of paint hardness, if the paint has fairly soft to moderate paint, both the PC and the G-110 can do a large amount of paint correction. The G-110 is quite a bit more powerful than the PC. However, it too has its limits.

If the paint is quite hard, you may not make a dent with a DA in terms of improving the marring in the paint. A couple of years back, I came across a Volvo that had some of the hardest paint I have seen, which required hours of heavy compounding with a rotary and very aggressive products to remove the marring/swirls. The DA did not touch the swirls!!!

One of the biggest trends we have seen over the last couple of years is people trying to get more out of DA than it was designed for. In that sense, people are using smaller and smaller pads to increase the aggressiveness of the DA or are trying to use products that are specifically intended for the rotary only as they need the friction that only a rotary can provide in order to break down their diminishing abrasives. However, once products like M105 came along, that has all changed. The DA is still limited, but the magnitude for which it can now correct paint, has increased substantially.

So, the question is, does using a slightly larger Soft Buff Pad 2.0 decrease the amount of aggressiveness of the DA if all of the other factors such as the increased power of the G110, the new SMAT abrasives or the paint's hardness are factored out of the equation? Then yes, I would say that it does decrease its effectiveness albeit slightly.

But with the new abrasives, and increased power in the G110, the DA can now do a lot more correction than it could before. HOWEVER, IMHO, it is still limited in what it can do.

Does that help at all?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, thank you for posting extension of this classic from your MOL contributions!

I hope AGO will, as Meguiar's distributor, welcome you with wide open arms and that we will see more of your contribution here because your help with Meguiar's products has been legendary on MOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2hotford View Post
    Very valid question!

One of the biggest issues with the DA as far as I am concerned is that too many people are trying to use the DA for more than it is capable of doing. For 80-90% of any detail work I do, I use the rotary polisher. However with the new SMAT abrasives being used in products like Meguiar's M105 and M205, the DA can do amazing correctional work that one could not even be imagined a couple of years ago!!

So can the PC or G-110 do paint correction? Sure, to a certain extent it can, but there are several factors that must be considered. For example, we need to consider:

1. The hardness or softness of the paint.
    2. The types of Pads used
    3. Types of compounds and abrasives used in the compounds
    4. Speed of the DA
    5. The orbit size of the DA
    6. Technique and size of area being worked on at one time etc

In terms of paint hardness, if the paint has fairly soft to moderate paint, both the PC and the G-110 can do a large amount of paint correction. The G-110 is quite a bit more powerful than the PC. However, it too has its limits.

If the paint is quite hard, you may not make a dent with a DA in terms of improving the marring in the paint. A couple of years back, I came across a Volvo that had some of the hardest paint I have seen, which required hours of heavy compounding with a rotary and very aggressive products to remove the marring/swirls. The DA did not touch the swirls!!!

One of the biggest trends we have seen over the last couple of years is people trying to get more out of DA than it was designed for. In that sense, people are using smaller and smaller pads to increase the aggressiveness of the DA or are trying to use products that are specifically intended for the rotary only as they need the friction that only a rotary can provide in order to break down their diminishing abrasives. However, once products like M105 came along, that has all changed. The DA is still limited, but the magnitude for which it can now correct paint, has increased substantially.

So, the question is, does using a slightly larger Soft Buff Pad 2.0 decrease the amount of aggressiveness of the DA if all of the other factors such as the increased power of the G110, the new SMAT abrasives or the paint's hardness are factored out of the equation? Then yes, I would say that it does decrease its effectiveness albeit slightly.

But with the new abrasives, and increased power in the G110, the DA can now do a lot more correction than it could before. HOWEVER, IMHO, it is still limited in what it can do.

Does that help at all?

Tim
    Thank you for your reply, Tim. So using a 7" W-9207 cutting pad/G110 vrs. using a LC/ccs 4" orange pad will have the same or better correction ability, considering using it on the same paint and using the same polish?

Post Thanks / Like

I found M205 worked a lot better (at least how Mike P. showed us at DF) with the Meg's pads). If you use LC CSS, especially smaller ones, you will need to refine the process since it breaks the polish down much faster.

I plan to get more Meg's pads since they made using 105/205 very predictable.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Thank you for your reply, Tim. So using a 7" W-9207 cutting pad/G110 vrs. using a LC/ccs 4" orange pad will have the same or better correction ability, considering using it on the same paint and using the same polish?
    That is not what I am saying.

Ok, let's use an analogy. Let's say you have a 4x4 and you place big mud tires on it. As soon as you do, you lose power compared to the much smaller stock/OEM tires. So what do you do? You re-gear the differentials to a much lower ratio (higher number) to try and regain that power. So while that re-gearing will help a lot, you will still have lost power due to other factors like drag/friction, rolling mass etc. So you increase the engine's power to again compensate for the larger tires. But how much more power will bring it back to the stock performance you had before installing the larger tires? And, what about the difference in drag from large mud tires versus the same size tire in a less aggressive all terrain?

Now in terms of the PC versus G-110, their orbits are the same, IIRC. So does the extra power from the G-110 offset the size of the larger pad compared to a much smaller 4" pad with the same foam density on a PC when all of the inputted factors are the same...probably not. It will definitely help, but I do not believe, IMHO that it will equate.

What about the foam density or cutting ability of the pads. Since these pads, the W-7207 and the LC pad are two different pads with different cut levels, that too needs to be factored into the equation. If the W-7207 has more cut that the LC, then the W-7207 will not need to work as hard in correcting the paint compared with the same size LC pad. But with the smaller size of the LC pad, that is an added variable.

BUT, there is one more factor that we need to put into all of this, the downward pressure being applied to the DA. Most would agree that you need to apply around 15 lbs of force to the DA in order to keep the pad rotating and yet get moderate corrective ability. Because the DA (PC or G-110) are not that powerful relative to say a rotary, you can stall their rotation simply by adding more downward force to the DA. But when the DA stops rotating you are effectively decreasing its correcting ability substantially. But with the increased power of the G110, you should be able to apply more downward force while keeping the pad rotating compared to the PC. But how close would it be to the lower powered PC and a much smaller pad, I do not know.

So again, while the increased power of the G110 will definitely help, I do not think that it will equate to the PC with a smaller pad, IMHO. But if one of the pads has a cut significantly more than the other with the G-110 having the more aggressive but larger pad, then that difference may become very small!!!

I hope that helps!

Tim
    Last edited by 2hotford; 05-18-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast