autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Nick's Rinseless Wash Beta

I received my sample from Nick this past monday. It was -20F outside so I decided to wait until today when it was close to 40F. When the product arrived, it was frozen solid. Not a surprise considering a squirt of water from a bottle will freeze in midair at those temps. After letting it thaw, there was no separation or anything to indicate there would be a problem using it.

For starters, I love the fragrance. I couldn't place it; my wife thinks it's blue raspberry jello. But I do like to use rinseless washes for light interior duty, so having a pleasant frangrance is a must. the second thing of note is the dilution ratio, and specifically for waterless wash: 1:128, that's insane. That's ~7.5ml in my 32 oz bottle. This dilutes down further than most anything in my arsenal of rinseless options.

So I lined up a few different rinseless washes. Uber was not among them as I currently only have a rinseless dilution left. Each were diluted as a waterless and rinseless wash, then the hybrid rinseless wash was used (prespray with waterless, then perform rinseless). The prodcuts were diluted as follows:

For Rinseless: D114 1:128, ONR 1:256, Ech2o 1:200, UWW+ 1:384; Beta 1:256
    For waterless: D114 1:32, ONR 1:64, Ech2o 1:25, UWW+ 1:44, Beta 1:128

Here's the line up

I then agitated each bucket just a bit to see if we get any suds

D114

UWW+

ONR

Ech2o

Beta

Next I surveyed the condition of the vehicle. Quite a bit of salt spray, road film and grime. The vehicle is wearing a non-AG coating and has a silica spray sealant on it and possibly some ech2o left as well.

Each product was used on either a door or rear quarter to test. As previously noted, panels were initially presprayed with waterless wash (until slight runoff occured, then a rinseless wash was done using 530 gsm towels.

The only product that had any grabbiness was ONR. The rest were able to glide over the paint, some better than others. All were able to suitably clean the vehicle with no discernible wash induced marring. Beta did provide some unique features. The lays flat on thee panel rather than beading like ONR, UWW & Ech20. This is important feature to me as it ensures the entire panel is wetted. D114 is the only other product that does this. It also wipes off very easily and clean. The only place I found any discernable residue was on a small section of the roof. ONR left some residue. UWW and ech20 did as well, but they have some intended protection that is expected to require a little additional buffing. D114 left no residue.

Some after picks of the car

The car look pretty good, but the wheels are still filthy, so I set out to use the waterless wash only to clean them.

Initial condition

After spraying, the pic is bad, but you can see than Beta started to shift the dirt and brake dust immediately

This took a bit more effort to clean, but still not grabby at all. I'm not expecting a perfect wheel with a quick wipe down, but it did an admirable job.

Finally, I can't leave the glass and trim in a state of filth. Beta work just fine on the trim, nothing of note to report. The waterless dilution also worked great on the glass leaving it streak free. Being able to use a single product at 2 dilutions to do the entire exterior is an advantage to these products.

Being able to use it for rinseless, waterless, clay lube and paint prep is very appealing. I also use the paint prep and waterless dilutions for light interior duty and will need to play around with that more as well, but at the waterless dilution, it did great on my dash and seats.

I'd consider a couple minor tweaks to bring this product over the top. The color at dilution is almost non-existent. When I'm working, I like to be able to identify a product by color quickly so when I walk over to the shelf or cart, I know which bottle to grab 3 steps before i get there. There are other ways I can do this, like a different bottle or sprayer, but I plan to have this in a garden sprayer and I only like 1 style of those. I wouldn't mind if the fragrance was a bit stronger. I like something that smells good if I do interiors with it, but likewise, I don't want anything too strong that makes it obvious a detailer has been there, my goal is always to have an interior appear new, not detailed. Having this in a similar proportioning bottle to uber rinseless would be perfect; the amount of product used is so small that I would be saving an old UWW bottle if I don't get one from Beta.

I have a few more things to play with (like clay lube), but initial indications are that this is a winner.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Nick's Rinseless Wash Beta

Very nice product review...
    Thanks for the easy to follow text
    and its accompanying pictorial.

Here's a couple of things that
    also caught my attention:
    Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    the second thing of note is the dilution ratio,
    and specifically for waterless wash:
    1:128, that's insane.

The prodcuts were diluted as follows:

For Rinseless: D114 1:128, ONR 1:256, Ech2o 1:200, UWW+ 1:384; Beta 1:256
    For waterless: D114 1:32; ONR 1:64, Ech2o 1:25, UWW+ 1:44, Beta 1:128
    •IMO:
    -1:128 is not such an out-of-bounds
    WW dilution ratio. That's the same
    ratio that I dilute D114 for use as a
    WW...not the 1:32 ratio you have
    listed above.

•For me:
    -D114 @1:32 is reserved for
    use as a "panel-wipe".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the fragrance strength as it is. I can actually do a whole wash with this stuff in an enclosed garage without getting sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Very nice product review...
    Thanks for the easy to follow text
    and its accompanying pictorial.

Here's a couple of things that
    also caught my attention:

•IMO:
    -1:128 is not such an out-of-bounds
    WW dilution ratio. That's the same
    ratio that I dilute D114 for use as a
    WW...not the 1:32 ratio you have
    listed above.

•For me:
    -D114 @1:32 is reserved for
    use as a "panel-wipe".

Bob
    I will respectfully disagree, but only to a point. The container specifies 1:128 dilution as a rinseless.

I do realize Mr. Stoops has provided alternative dilutions, but I do not think it would be reasonable or fair when testing a number of products to deviate from the official dilution. With that in mind, it would also be highly questionable for me to say both the rinseless and waterless dilutions are 1:128.

As far as the 1:32 for waterless; I believe that was one of the numbers thrown out right when it was released, though I can't recall where I got it.

I have been using as a panel wipe at 1:10. Again, I think this was stated right when it was released.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless...

-Meguiar's/Mr. Stoops' official dilution ratios
    for Meguiar's D114 were published plenty
    of times...on many different MOL threads.

- 1:32 was never, ever listed as the official
    dilution ration for D114 as a WW.
    - 1:32? That's for "panel-wipe" duties.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I also need to provide some additional info.

I previously state that Beta lays flat on the paint. This was the case for a filthy car. When using it again today on the same car (relatively clean), it did bead.

This seems to indicate that ONR, UWW and ech2o have constituents that actively promote beading. d114 has constituents that actively promote wetting. Beta seems to have neither. And I would like to see something that actively promotes a wetted surface.