autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Paint Coating Mini-Review

For those who may have seen part of this on the Detailing 101 Facebook page, I'll apologize in advance for the double-tap.

Background:

This weekend, I was able to get my hands on the car my daughter drives. Between classes and work she isn't able to provide me much access to the vehicle, so when I get it I must make the time count. Also, since it sits out 24/7 and doesn't get washed as often as it probably should, I figured a coating was in order. I need maximum durability.

Last year I attempted to apply the Blackfire Crystal Coating and it was an absolute disaster, and frankly I was really apprehensive trying another coating. In the end, I had nothing to worry about, this was a totally different experience.

After test spots revealed the Mazda paint was a little harder than I remembered, Meguiars Ultimate Compound on a white Lake Country Flat Pad turned out to be the perfect combo for the level of correction I needed. Once that was done, I prepped the surface with Blackfire Crystal Coat Paint Prep.

Review:

Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating

My first thought was, "This product is stupid easy to use!". I'm not sure what I was expecting after my last experience, but this coating far exceeded expectations. The coating spreads very easily with the Lake Country Coating Applicator, and in an enclosed garage with high-ish humidity and 70*F temps, flashed fairly slowly. High spots were rare, and the few I did have simply took a very light pass with a MF towel to knock them out.

I really like the spray bottle method of product delivery. A couple of quick spritzes per section allowed me to spread the product quickly and easily. I have a feeling I was holding the bottle too close to the surface and most likely over applied. I'm sure I'll perfect the technique as I use this coating more. I didn't run a stop watch, but the process seemed to be far faster and more simple than applying a wax.

Lighting for me was an issue. Even with a set of work lights on a stand, my lighting situation isn't ideal. Correction of defects isn't difficult, but when applying products like this coating which goes on really thin on a highly metallic paint it was often hard to see the whole process well. Before attempting to do this again, I think a head-mounted LED light will be in order.

Once applied and the curing started, the coated areas were very slick, and had a nice shine to them.

Here are a few quick pictures of the results. Skies were heavily overcast and due to time constraints, I was using my cell phone vs breaking out the SLR. Hopefully these images will represent the work well.

Summary:

- This product is VERY easy to apply and a perfect beginner's coating. My last attempt with the Blackfire coating left me on the edge of abandoning coatings for good, but this product is the polar opposite when it comes to ease of use.

- Application time may be faster than waxing/sealing, and I found it to be less labor intensive.

- Produces a very slick surface.

- Due to lighting conditions, I can't make a good judgement on the shine. My initial thought is the Blackfire coating produced a deeper shine and slight darkening of the paint. One could easily tell the difference between areas which were coated and those without. This product didn't do that, the gloss was only a slight improvement over the corrected paint surface.

I give this coating a big "thumbs up" and declare myself a fan. Even if I only get 12~18 months of protection I'll still be happy. For daily drivers the protection and appearance are a good match and the cost makes it a no-brainer if you want to dip your toe in the pool of paint coatings.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Paint Coating Mini-Review

Great review

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

It's my go-to LSP for 3 of the 4 packages I offer. The first is simply a very strong cleaning, decontam/clay and a coating of 476. The rest are McKee's coatings. I'm at the end of my second bottle and will be ordering more. Have a nice GS350 I'm likely going to be doing this weekend and that will use up the last of what I have.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, sounds good!!!

I have the Blackfire product and I'm almost afraid to try it.

pdqgp, how may vehicles are you able to coat with a bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

It is as easy as anything to apply. Other than making sure the paint is properly prepped, the application of this coating could not be any easier. Shine is good, durability of 2 years is acceptable, and the price is low. Its a winner winner chicken dinner. Perfect for the application you chose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Thanks for the review, sounds good!!!

I have the Blackfire product and I'm almost afraid to try it.

pdqgp, how may vehicles are you able to coat with a bottle?
    8-10 IIRC. I lost track as I started using the new bottle when it arrived then I consolodated the last bit of the first one into the new one. Honestly you can get quite a bit out of the bottle.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

M37 Coating is definitely the best way to show someone how to use a coating if they've never done it before but I always see impressive results from it so it's not like it doesn't do the job either.

Post Thanks / Like

I used three (glass, paint, and wheel) of the M37 coatings on a 2010 f150 xlt today.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done!

I agree, this is one of the easiest if not the easiest coating to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    For those who may have seen part of this on the Detailing 101 Facebook page, I'll apologize in advance for the double-tap.
    Thanks for taking the time to share here on the forum. While I do see posts on the FB page I much prefer to see things posted here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast