autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Playing with the new McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer

Thanks for a great review, Haris. I do have a question if you could answer. I already have the older version of this, which I really like (shoulder strap would have made it perfect) but I have to admit I secretly drool over the Master Blaster w/ 8HP output. I am not sure which MB'er you have but I was hoping you could go more in depth in comparing that against the McKee's? You already mentioned it was a pain to move. Could you elaborate? Anything else you can mention would be great and if you prefer to message me with that information, that would be fine too. Thanks again for the review.
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by kecko View Post
    Thanks for a great review, Haris. I do have a question if you could answer. I already have the older version of this, which I really like (shoulder strap would have made it perfect) but I have to admit I secretly drool over the Master Blaster w/ 8HP output. I am not sure which MB'er you have but I was hoping you could go more in depth in comparing that against the McKee's? You already mentioned it was a pain to move. Could you elaborate? Anything else you can mention would be great and if you prefer to message me with that information, that would be fine too. Thanks again for the review.
    I have the 8hp Master Blaster with the wheels. The wheels do not swivel and the machine is quite heavy so rolling it around a car can be a little annoying. The power output is higher than the McKee's dryer but not to the point where I feel it really makes a difference. The noise alone is enough to make me reach for the McKee's instead. The Master Blaster does put out hot air though which can assist in drying neglected hydrophilic paint finishes that don't bead or sheet water well. You should check out Marc's review of the machine. He goes into more depth comparing both dryers.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn these reviews. I finally order one on Monday and they are on back order. Ha Ha, oh well at least I'll have one to go along with my sidekick.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Harris for the great review. I'm using a wall mounted 8HP blaster with 30 foot hose, but interested in this dryer for portability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Hello detailers! I recently got my hands on the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer and have been busy using it on many different vehicles. This is basically an improved model of the older Detailer's Pro dryer which I had the chance of trying out last year. The improvements include a shoulder strap for more comfortable use and a locking hose that won't accidentally separate from the machine and smack your paint. If you haven't already read Marc's thorough review of the tool and you're looking for a new way to dry your car, you should definitely check this out.

Thanks for reading and happy detailing
    Did you really have to post this review in conjunction with the Labor Day Sale? Well I'm an easy mark. Been thinking of trying one of these so... order up, lol. BTW what a great job you did in opting your review. Mike Philips lookout!
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

The pivoted nozzle is very useful for those eye-level panels. You know what I'm talking about; where you'd be tip-toeing with a drying towel, but not high enough to break out a step latter, and so you're stuck in a bit of an awkward, uncomfortable position.

That said, it's hard to go with corded devices and you're spoiled with cordless tools. Maybe we'll see a battery powered AG/McKee's unit in a not so distant future.

Post Thanks / Like

I seriously doubt a battery powered unit would have enough power. As it is I believe it will be less than the leaf blower I currently use but a comparison is in the winds.

I didn't mention it but my reason for going with this unit is the amperage draw versus the Master Blaster. A normal size generator will run it and at home most my outlets are 15 amps. Getting one or two rewired for a blower just seems silly to me.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the 8hp does draw a lot of power. My brother tripped the circuit when he was showing off the new purchase to me. lol

There are some relatively powerful cordless blowers out there (I have an 18v & 36v Makita blowers, tiny one for blowing off brake dust), but there is something to be said of both MB and McKee's - when you want to maintain that certain appearance, especially around high-end clientele. Pulling out some yard machine might not serve your image well.... heh

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update to this thread. I'm not posting pictures as there are plenty at the beginning of this thread.

Well I did bite the bullet and picked up the McKee's Turbo Car Dryer. There's both Pros and Cons to this dryer. For me the bottom line was not requiring a 20A breaker that the Master Blaster or similar variant requires. Can't always rely on having one and tripping breakers is a pain. So the real question is would it out preform my leaf blower? We'll get to that in a minute. First I'll suggest some potential changes be made to the unit.

Changes I'd like:
    Having a base or stand molded into the bottom would be nice when putting it on the ground
    Using a more pliable hose or perhaps a smaller diameter making hose management easier
    Using a 6" longer nose cone enabling one to completely dry the roof of a car from one side to the other
    Molding in some arms into the handle so the electrical cord can be wrapped up for storage
    For drying engine compartments and wheels this unit excels
    Develop a different attachment method for the accessory hose tips.
    Lastly as Tim the Tool Man always said, "More Power"

Ultimately I am glad to have purchased this blower. Yes it works fine, but could be more efficient with the above changes. It is quieter than my electric leaf blower but the electric leaf blower moves more air and is more efficient. With a leaf blower I don't have to manage a hose and this is perhaps my biggest gripe.

The large diameter hose can be managed but it requires some attention. The hose is the same on my larger ShopVac unit. I may try attaching a smaller diameter hose like what comes on a ShopVac and see if it is easier to manage and potentially an increase in air velocity. As is the unit is fine and does the job. Most of you know drying a car with wax on the paint is easier as is doing it in the shade and on a cool surface. Those are conditions hard to control when being mobile. I never expect to completely dry a car with a blower, although it can be done. I follow up the drying process with a spray wax or a detail spray can be used.

There are two primary hose tips supplied. I've only used the cone. Attaching these to the hose seems to be an after thought. Basically a removable and adjustable screw type zip tie is used. Bottom line is it works. BTW the attachment cord may not even be required but I'd hate to see it blow off onto a car because that would happen absolutely at the wrong time according to Murphy's Laws.

The noise level is lower than a leaf blower which is nice. The unit is professionally built and the tool is designed for the job. The carrying strap work well. At first I wasn't thrilled about the extra long (35')electrical cord but having used it for a couple months I've warmed up to it. I'm 6 feet tall and can't effectively use this to completely dry a roof top. With a longer nose cone this could be accomplished. Is it a deal breaker? No because again I always expect to do some type of follow up to a car after drying it. IMO the hose length is too long especially with this larger diameter that is used. I've never extended the hose length completely. Perhaps if the unit had a stand and you placed it on a roller cart the extra hose length would be needed. As is it just wants to coil or twist up and this is what requires management. When working from a raise platform or ladder the hose management is more problematic. Like I said the hose is my biggest gripe. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being perfect I'd rate the hose a 6 and the overall unit a 7 or 8.

While subjective if the unit had 20-25% more power it would be perfect in this department. I bet 20-25% would be difficult to obtain but more is better than less in this department.

In the end I'm happy with the purchase and that takes into consideration the discount coupon and free shipping. Like many I consider myself a value shopper. As I said I subjectively rate the dryer a 7 to 8 out of 10 and am happy with it as is. With a little McGivering I expect it could be an 8 or 9. Lastly, as BrutalNoodle said maintaining a professional appearance around clients is important and the Turbo Dryer does that.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

@rmagnus. Holy smokes that was a great review! Bravo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12