autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Fantastic review.

I have the DP dryer(same power as McKees) and metro master blaster. Ended up selling the DP dryer. Yes, the convenience, or lack thereof, of the metro master blaster is a PITA. However, it is way more efficient/powerful than the McKee's dryer. I'll deal with the inconvenience.
    Thanks Mark!

I found the power difference between the McKee's and Master Blaster to be minimal. And I like the McKee's didn't require a 20A outlet. The MB has that as a hidden cost as I mentioned in my review. So the performance you get per unit price you pay is better on the McKee's IMO.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer - Comparison With Master Blaster And Sidekick

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    How much HP is your Stihl leaf blower? How much CFM? The McKee's 37 has 6.5HP. I couldn't find the CFM numbers. Comparing your leaf blower specifications should give you an idea which is more powerful.

As Mike already mentioned, the air is filtered.

Another difference between the leaf blower and these car dryers is the convenience of using it. The McKee's 37, the Master Blaster and the Sidekick all utilize a hose with a funneling attachment at the end of it. This makes directing air a lot easier compared to the leaf blower. The leaf blower is just awkward to point at different parts of the car such as the middle portion of the car.
    The Stihl (be61) is a 1.1 kW motor (1.5 hp), so the McKee is roughly 4 times as powerful at motor. I agree with the convenience factor for sure, just wanting to ensure I don't drop coin on something that doesn't push anymore air then what I have. Great review BTW, I'll grab one on the next sale.

Cheers,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pryor82 View Post
    The Stihl (be61) is a 1.1 kW motor (1.5 hp), so the McKee is roughly 4 times as powerful at motor. I agree with the convenience factor for sure, just wanting to ensure I don't drop coin on something that doesn't push anymore air then what I have. Great review BTW, I'll grab one on the next sale.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Thanks Tom! I appreciate the compliment. Wish I could be more assisting.

Yeah, the McKee's 37 Turbo dryer looks like it will be a lot more powerful. Your leaf blower has a similar power output to the Metro Sidekick.

Maybe your best bet is just to watch the videos I posted and see how it performs. But I can tell you it works amazingly well. Water just flies off.

Waiting for a sale will be the smart move.

Post Thanks / Like

My master blaster works fine with a 15A outlet. At least I think it's 15A.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

So does mine. I just do t throw both switches on at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    You guys are lucky!!!

I don't throw both switches at the same time either... But after about 5 minutes of using it with 2 motors on, the circuit breaker will trip.

If I turn both motors on simultaneously, the breaker will trip immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You guys are lucky!!!

I don't throw both switches at the same time either... But after about 5 minutes of using it with 2 motors on, the circuit breaker will trip.

If I turn both motors on simultaneously, the breaker will trip immediately.
    You guys must live in older homes. 15amps on an outdoor plug or a garage is not very usable.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pryor I wanted to reply to your message specifically because I was using my TASK FORCE electric leaf blower as my goto dryer before giving in and buying the original McKee's Turbo dryer this spring, right before they came out with the updated model. My Task Force leaf blower is 12 amps, 380CFM and puts out 230MPH burst of air. Honestly it worked great. However as its been mentioned the air is not filtered, which is a big deal. The end of a leaf blower is not made for blowing water off body panels so that makes it harder to get the water out of areas like the mirrors, door jams, grills and wheels. The dedicated funnel end on the McKee's Turbo Dryer makes easy work of those areas. Also, holding the leaf blower is cumbersome and the hard plastic end is a scratch just waiting to happen. The soft material of the McKee's Turbo dryer takes away the anxiety of getting close to body panels because there is little chance of doing any major damage. Lastly the leaf blower is sooo damn loud and right in your ear. For me that's a major reason why I had to get rid of the leaf blower. I wear ear plugs at work for 12 hrs so wearing them at home was not something I wanted to do.

The first time I used the McKee's turbo dryer it was awkward because I was used to using the leaf blower. It took me about 3-4 uses before I really got the hang of holding it with one hand and using the hose in the other. That's obviously been corrected with the shoulder strap and it's a major plus. I haven't had any issues with my original version with the attachments flying off (knock on wood) but the fact they fixed that issue is also a win for the consumer. Now that I am used to the machine and have my method down it takes about 8 minutes to do the car and an extra couple to hit all 4 wheels. It's really worth it's place in the garage and the $$$. Place that leaf blower back on the shelf and let it live out it's days doing what it was meant to do - blow leaves!! Trust me it's definitely worth getting your hands on the Turbo Dryer.
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, Marc, thanks for this video review. Excellent job. Between your review and the review Haris did I think I've made up my mind and will stick with the McKee's Turbo Dryer and spend the $$$$ I would have spent on a Master Blaster, on something else. Maybe a pad washer!!
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the power difference between the McKee's and Master Blaster to be minimal. And I like the McKee's didn't require a 20A outlet. The MB has that as a hidden cost as I mentioned in my review. So the performance you get per unit price you pay is better on the McKee's IMO.
    agreed marc and great write-up.. i sold my MB when i got the dp/mckee's turbo car dryer and really don't miss it. you can hold hold it and reach over tall areas of the vehicle without fear of tipping it over and also not having to drag it around like like you would with the MB. some have too high expectations for *any* blower to completely dry a vehicle in which IME you will still need to wipe/pat areas where there will be some remaining droplets (most will wipe down with a QD/spray wax afterwards anyway) in some areas.. if you have a good coat of wax/sealant/coating the water will fly off (less friction/tension for the water to stick) a lot easier and reduce the time drying... overall, a great product and it serves it's purpose well, just grab it and go!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast