autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover

Review: McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover
    McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover, best bug remover, love bug remover, how to remove bugs and tar

Description: (Taken from AG's website)

McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover is a fast-acting cleaner that annihilates pesky bug guts before they cause damage to your vehicle’s delicate finish. If you live in a region that’s plagued by the infamous love bug, you’ll be able to remove them as well! McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover also works great on tar, road grime and heavy road films. McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover is a concentrated formula that can be diluted 1:1 with water.

Not all bug and tar removers are created equal and McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover is proof! Formulated using advanced, clear-coat safe surfactants, McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover breaks down and dissolves bug guts before they can cause permanent damage. Application is as simple as spraying on and wiping off – no rinsing required! What’s more, McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover is safe on paint, glass chrome and plastic trim.

Surely your best friend’s college roommate, girlfriend’s uncle or co-worker’s wife has shared a remedy for removing bugs that involves some type of engine lubricant or driveway cleaner. Say no! Harsh solvents are best left in the garage for things like removing oil from engine blocks or lubricating squeaky door hinges. These high-octane cleaners cause more damage to your vehicle’s delicate clear coat finish than the bug guts do! McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover annihilates bug guts without damaging paint, glass, chrome or plastic.

As soon as an insect says its last words and splats against your front bumper, it immediately begins to break down. As the insect remains break down, enzymes are released that etch your clear coat, causing unsightly damage that cannot be undone. This is especially true for the infamous love bug, a common bug found in the South Eastern United States and throughout Florida. McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover neutralizes these enzymes before they can harm your vehicle’s clear coat. As soon as you notice bug guts on your vehicle, immediately remove them with McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover.

McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover is safe and effective on paint, glass, chrome and plastic trim. McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover also works great for removing fresh tar or heavy road films. If you’re washing a heavily soiled vehicle, add a couple ounces of McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover to your wash solution to supercharge its cleaning power.

McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover can be diluted 1:1 with water to safely remove bug guts without effecting sensitive wax finishes. This makes McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover an exceptional value.

Price:

$12.99 for 16oz
    $36.99 for 128oz

Introduction:

We all do road trips occasionally - whether it be a vacation with your family or just to drive. After driving countless miles and now you're back home, you are more likely to see some dead bugs splattered all over your front end. Don't you just hate it when that happens? The longer you leave it on your paint, the harder it is to clean them off. In addition, these acidic bug guts could eat up and etch your paint if not cleaned off at a timely fashion.

I was never a believer of bug cleaners. I thought they were just a gimmick... UNTIL NOW! I mean I can clean the bug guts off with my wash mitt and they usually come off...

Review:

This car has done a few road trips and has accumulated lots of dead bug guts in its front end. It hasn't been washed and had them left in there baking in the HOT AZ sun for about 2 months.

Here are some pictures of the initial condition of the front end:

For a case this bad, I would normally bust out my bug sponge to make cleaning a little bit easier. However, I wanted to test out the cleaning ability of this road kill bug remover and see how effective it is in breaking down the bug guts baked into the paint.

So what I did was use Road Kill on half of the car's front end (passenger side) and left the other half (driver's side) untreated. Here's a picture of the product being sprayed on the passenger side front bumper:

Letting the product dwell:

I then used my car wash sponge and washed the entire front end with equal amounts of pressure and agitation.

Passenger side (with Road Kill) being washed. As you can see, most of the bug guts were removed with ease!!

Here's the driver side being washed. As you can see, there were a lot of bug guts left. I'm sure if I scrubbed it real hard, more would come off. But I wanted to keep the pressure and agitation variable constant between the two sides.

After washing both sides, I then rinse off the soap and I'm left with this.

50/50:

Passenger side completely clean and free of bug guts!

Driver side left with some bug guts.

So I applied the Road Kill on the untreated driver side and let the product dwell:

Here are the results!!! A clean, shiny and bug free front end.

Opinions and Observations:

As you can see from my 50/50 test, this bug remover definitely helped remove the bug guts a lot easier. It was effective in breaking down the bug guts and it only takes very little effort to wipe them off. The smell has some sort of citrus smell to it. I couldn't really pinpoint the exact smell. It's not overpowering by any means. The product is clear and sprayed on very easily.

Conclusion:

I never believed in bug remover products but now, I'M A BELIEVER!!! Whenever I get bugs on the front end of my car, I know what product I will reach for to make the removal a whole lot easier. If you want to make removal of bug guts an easier process (especially for you FL folks with love bugs), pick up some McKee's Road Kill. You won't regret it.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Remover

Excellent review Marc!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, cool 50/50 test! I guess the concern has always been with these types of products is how much they degrade your LSP. Did you notice any beading differences? (of course we know from our Dawn/stripping discussions that beading isn't an absolute indicator)

Post Thanks / Like

Another nice review Marc!

I agree Marc, a designated bug remover is a worthwhile investment for anyone dealing with bug jerky. Especially if one has an Autobahn to blast down.

Thanks for doing the 50/50 and sharing the results. Well done.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent review Marc!
    Thank you so much Frank! Also, thanks for all the support.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, cool 50/50 test! I guess the concern has always been with these types of products is how much they degrade your LSP. Did you notice any beading differences? (of course we know from our Dawn/stripping discussions that beading isn't an absolute indicator)
    Thanks Setec!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test the beading because this was not my vehicle. The car is in pretty bad shape so I doubt there was any beading left.

If you're worried about stripping the LSP, just reapply some after cleaning (or spray wax/sealant it). It's a small section so it shouldn't take too much time.

When you don't use this product, you will be forced to use extra pressure and extra motions to scrub the bug guts off. This can potentially add swirls from the extra scrubbing. For me, I'd prefer to re-apply LSP than to re-polish haha! And if the bug guts are not cleaned, the acidic nature of the bug guts will eat your LSP anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Another nice review Marc!

I agree Marc, a designated bug remover is a worthwhile investment for anyone dealing with bug jerky. Especially if one has an Autobahn to blast down.

Thanks for doing the 50/50 and sharing the results. Well done.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks so much for the compliments Mike! I sincerely appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I've wondered how well this product works.

Has anyone compared this product to Poorboys Bug Squash? I'd be curious to see how/if they differ.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Has anyone compared this product to Poorboys Bug Squash? I'd be curious to see how/if they differ.
    Agreed....would like to see it up against Kenotek Anti-insect too

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great review! I use this product, also with great results but that 50/50 you did is really telling the truth!
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thank you, Desertnate!

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    That's a great review! I use this product, also with great results but that 50/50 you did is really telling the truth!
    Thanks a lot ekennett! I was blown away myself. Never imagined I'd like a bug remover.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to buy a bottle of this stuff now, I was never a believer either Marc but you got me with the 5050. How much does the bottle cost ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast