autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish

When My car was new (2013) I coated the rubber trim and headlights with Carpro Dlux. I recoated them a year later but have not touched them since. They had developed a little haze. I am not sure if this was the coating itself breaking down or the headlights beginning to oxidize. They had been this way for awhile and I had just ignored them, but they finally got to me. I figured this is a good test for the new Mckee's 37 Headlight Restoring Polish.

I had tried this polish on a very oxidized headlight on another vehicle with poor results. However, my headlights were not that bad.

I am not sure if the haze is the headlights themselves or the coating failing...but none the less they needed some attention.

I used my PC 7424XP and the 2 3/4" backing plate and the orange cutting pad from this kit: CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit

The results speak for themselves. While this polish couldnt do much to really bad headlights without prior sanding, it had no problems with the haze on my headlights. Like all the Mckee's products I have used so far, this was very easy to use. The polish worked effortlessly, slowly broke down, and wiped off with no problem. My headlights came out like brand new. Haze gone! I think it took me longer to tape off the area surrounding the headlight than the polishing itself.

I followed the polishing with application of McKee's Headlight Protectant Spray. This product has a pump sprayer that does a great job of evenly misting the product over the headlight. I spread it gently with a microfiber, and then allowed it to "flash" or evaporate from the headlight, and then gently buffed (wasnt really anything left to buff). It left no streaks. Time will tell how this product does at protecting my headlights, I just hope it is a lot better than the similar older Diamondite product.

For lightly oxidized or hazed headlights, or a followup to sanding, this polish seems to do a great job and is easy to use. Just do not expect it to restore badly oxidized headlights on its own.

McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish, headlight restoration

McKee's 37 Headlight Protectant Spray

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish

Those lights look brand new, nice job.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review. It's a shame that a 3 year old vehicle needs its headlights restored. McKee's 37 to the rescue!

The key to success with Headlight Protectant Spray is to apply it often.

You often hear the question arise "How long does it last?" REALLY?!?! Is it that hard to apply the protectant to your headlights after every wash? It might take a whole 10 seconds if that.

Frequent car care is easy car care.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, excellent results

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on two things.....with Nick on the fact that such a new car already saw the impacts of the sun. WOW! Must be where you live. Also, nice job!! Looks great.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Great review. It's a shame that a 3 year old vehicle needs its headlights restored. McKee's 37 to the rescue!

The key to success with Headlight Protectant Spray is to apply it often.

You often hear the question arise "How long does it last?" REALLY?!?! Is it that hard to apply the protectant to your headlights after every wash? It might take a whole 10 seconds if that.

Frequent car care is easy car care.

Yes, ok Nick, I will use it often, unless I recoat the headlights.

I live in South Florida (Miami) which is probably one of the most intense climates on cars because we have it all, high sun intensity, lots of humidity, and heat.

To be honest, given the fact that I can still see Dlux holding fort on the rubber trim, it might have been more of the Dlux failing than the headlights themselves. It was probably close to 2 years since I applied it. Dlux definitely worked at protecting the headlights for a good year or more. Now I'll try this method for awhile and see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Jaret! Nice transformation.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! I too found it a easy product to use.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I just used this product on my wife's g8 gxp. Its an '09 with ~70k miles and is daily driven.
    By it's self I wasn't impressed with the all in one polish on this application. I did many passes (not the few as claimed in a caption in the product description) with varying pressure and it barely made a dent in the defects. Not a big deal. Maybe the g8 headlight coating is hard to make up for the soft paint. I happened to have bought a cheap generic kit the other day and used the sand disks in it. I then switched back to the M37 aoi to polish. I did work well at this point.
    The aio did better with the fogs though. I wasn't looking for perfection, but I wanted more clarity so I hit it with 1500 and again used the aio to polish.
    I also didn't care for how the included pad was working so again I switched over to the generic orange foam pad and it polished up well and was more controllable with a drill. The velcro on the M37 kit's backing plate started to peel off, but the generic one held up and...it got used the most!

The sealant went on easily, but time will tell. I'll most likely end up removing it and putting opti-lens on them instead. Simple to put on, sure, but why keep having to reapply after every wash when there is a more permanent solution?
    With as many professionals as I see on the board, it may be good for them to know how long it lasts Since they might want to use the product on customer's cars. As a customer, I wouldn't want to pay someone the fix my headlights then have to apply stuff to them after every wash or have them yellow in 6 mo. Just something to consider before dismissing that question as silly.

Before pic

The polish working

Pre-sealant

Fog

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with wanting a permanent coating for the headlights. DLux had lasted a good while. However, on the flip side, it does literally take 30 seconds to apply the headlight protectant on the headlights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast