autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DA polisher questions for rookie

I want to get a PC or Griots DAP soon. I've never used one so I will be doing some research but wanted to get pointed in the right direction to begin.

Do I need a cleaner grit guard bucket for the pads? And, do you clean the pad after each section of a vehicle or after doing a whole vehicle?

How do you clean pads w/o a grit guard bucket?

Basically, besides a DAP kit sold here, what other accessories and items do I need?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Re: DA polisher questions for rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Grifffx4 View Post

Do I need a cleaner grit guard bucket for the pads? And, do you clean the pad after each section of a vehicle or after doing a whole vehicle?

Basically, besides a DAP kit sold here, what other accessories and items do I need?

Thanks!

If you're just detailing your own cars, instead of getting a Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer, spend this money getting extra pads.

More pads means you can buff out a car faster and do better work and your pads will last longer.

Get some pad cleaning soap, like BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner & Restorer and put a scoop into about 4 gallons of water in a 5-gallon bucket.

After you buff out a hood, take the pad and dunk it in the bucket and squish it so it fills up with pad cleaning solution.

Repeat this as you work around the car, switching to a clean, dry pad for each major body panel.

At the end of the day squish all the pads in the bucket a few times, then squish them under some running water till they rinse clear then wring them out and place them upside down somewhere to dry for the next time you need them.

I cover this in my how-to book in-depth with multiple ways to both wash and dry your pads.

The first tool or accessory I would get is a copy of my paperback book or the ibook.

See my Signature Line at the bottom of everyone of my posts on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to get a PC or Griots DAP soon. I've never used one so I will be doing some research but wanted to get pointed in the right direction to begin.

Thanks!
    Its always best to have 2-3 pads for each panel of your vehicle. My advice to the go with a 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads.

If you get the pad washer its still good to have more than just one pad. as that pads dries out you can move on with a new clean dry one.

To clean pads without the washer then you have to do that after your finished with the vehiclein the sink by hand and a pad cleaner spray.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Its always best to have 2-3 pads for each panel of your vehicle. My advice to the go with a 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads.

If you get the pad washer its still good to have more than just one pad. as that pads dries out you can move on with a new clean dry one.

To clean pads without the washer then you have to do that after your finished with the vehiclein the sink by hand and a pad cleaner spray.
    Take his advice. 5 inch back plate with 5.5 inch pads. Same thing I am doing. Along with LC flat pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

great question, and great answers! I was also looking for a solid answer on this topic... thanks!
    2013 Santa Fe 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

So, going by the advice above....that would be 36 pads of each color. Am I thinking about this wrong?

By sections, for my truck, there are:
    Front bumper/grille, hood, roof, tailgate, LF fender, RF fender, LF door, RF door, LR door, RR door, Left bedside, Right bedside

Is this wrong in terms of section?

2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Post Thanks / Like

So, going by the advice above....that would be 36 pads of each color. Am I thinking about this wrong?

By sections, for my truck, there are:
    Front bumper/grille, hood, roof, tailgate, LF fender, RF fender, LF door, RF door, LR door, RR door, Left bedside, Right bedside

Is this wrong in terms of section?
    Really depends how much cutting & polishing you really need to do. A safe number is 12-15 pads of each color.

-3 pads for each side
    -2 pads for the hood
    -1 pad tailgate
    -1 pad roof

I'd rather have them and not need vs need and not have. Besides, you'll soon experience it can be a pain to stop and have to clean pads in the middle of correction. So much easier just to grab a clean pad and continue with the correction.

I have about 10-12 pads of each color (5" LC Hybrids), 4 pads of each color (4" LC Hydros) myself just for my mustang...

Post Thanks / Like

Will on-the-fly cleaning make 3-4 pads of each color last for a full correction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LandOfLinkin View Post
    Will on-the-fly cleaning make 3-4 pads of each color last for a full correction?
    I used 6 for my mustang last time I did correction

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast