autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots, Flex, Rupes DA clone

The copy and the original looks almost the same. The counter weight is exactly same shape as well. Noise level for both machine is almost identical with the copy slightly louder ( might be due to the more powerful motor ). I did not experience the hopping up and down maybe because i did the washer mod. Was also able to fit the rupes backing plate to allow it to use 5inch pads. The original is still smoother that the copy though but for its price i have no complaints. I have buffed out 2 cars ( 1 SUV and 1 STI ) using the copy and its holding up pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots, Flex, Rupes DA clone

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Has anyone seen the Chinese clone with the backing plate removed? The counterweight on the Rupes is a unique sculpted shape, and there's just no way 2 people could independently come up with a design of that exact same shape.

If they're identical, that's another bit of proof that it was copied, but this is a piece that functionally matters, as opposed to just copying the ornamental design (the casing/housing).

So I wonder if Rupes is actively seeking to get imports of this clone banned in various markets? Or maybe they don't have legal grounds for that and there's little they can do.
    I don't think anyone is questioning it's a copy. I mean the throw, body style, and BP were all unique to Rupes - until the copy came along. I'm surprised it doesn't have a piece of carbon fiber looking plastic glued to the top.

Try suing someone in China. Good luck there. Their government stands up and stone walls for the knock off clowns making legal action difficult. I think they believe its good for the economy - people are working - who cares if they are making knock offs?

As for the GG6 being a piece of Chinese Junk - I don't agree with that. They took the basic design of the PC and improved the power on it significantly. Refinement and smoothness were never there with the PC, it's actually a pretty crude tool IMO. So, I don't see any issue there. Griots picked it up and gave it a better warranty than any polisher at any price.

Its kind of like saying Kia copied from Hyundai. Who cares? It's when they start ripping off the 3 Series and C Class everyone starts rolling their eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

The company that is selling the most popular knock-off is Ansi Auto.
    They have two models, J0560 and j0568: the first one costs 55 EURO (additional 45 EURO to ship it to Portugal - I sent them an e-mail a month ago) and the second one isn't available since there is already an European company that has the rights for all the production.
    Detailers that have already received J0560 say that the original RUPES is smoother but less powerful and they are quite happy with the machine. It seems that all requests are now on-hold since Ansi Auto sold-out all the production and is already improving the design for a second batch (!).
    Even if RUPES starts a legal battle against these Chinese factories, I guess it will be a lost one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I don't think anyone is questioning it's a copy. I mean the throw, body style, and BP were all unique to Rupes - until the copy came along. I'm surprised it doesn't have a piece of carbon fiber looking plastic glued to the top.

Try suing someone in China. Good luck there. Their government stands up and stone walls for the knock off clowns making legal action difficult. I think they believe its good for the economy - people are working - who cares if they are making knock offs?

As for the GG6 being a piece of Chinese Junk - I don't agree with that. They took the basic design of the PC and improved the power on it significantly. Refinement and smoothness were never there with the PC, it's actually a pretty crude tool IMO. So, I don't see any issue there. Griots picked it up and gave it a better warranty than any polisher at any price.

Its kind of like saying Kia copied from Hyundai. Who cares? It's when they start ripping off the 3 Series and C Class everyone starts rolling their eyes.
    Are Kia and Hyundai Owned by the Same Company? - Ask.com
    Not sure but I believe HYUNDAI owns STOCK in KIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Hyundai/Kia like Ford/Lincoln

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=RMM;1007331]The company that is selling the most popular knock-off is Ansi Auto.QUOTE]

Perhaps it's made by Ansi, but the MaxShine China model seems to be the most talked about on the European detailing websites:

880W Dual Action Polisher MS-DA900-L21
    Unique Features:
    Fast, Powerful Effective, Safe and Easy-to-Use !
    Swirl-free, Professional Results with No Risk !
    Easily Removes Swirl Marks and Scratches, and Improves Paint Gloss !
    Ideal for Applying Polishes and Waxes, and Safe on All Paint Types !
    Variable Speed Dial, On/Off Sliding Safety Switch !
    Ergonomic Design and Comfortable Soft-Touch Head Cover !
    Auto Shut-off Carbon Brushes, Low Noise and Low Vibration !
    Sealed 100% Ball-Bearing Construction Provides Longer Life !

New Festures:
    1.New Design
    2.Big Orbit 21mm High Effective For Polishing
    3.Soft Grip Head Cover and D Handle
    4.Long Handle With Soft Grip,Easy to use
    5.Easy Control Speed Dial

Specifications:
    Rated Voltage: 110V - 240V AC Orbit Diameter Size: 21mm ( 7/8" )
    Frequency: 60Hz / 50Hz Thread Size: 5/16"-24
    Rated Current: 7.5Amp. Velcro Backing Plate Size: 150mm( 6" )
    Rated Power: 880W Polishing Pad size: 150-160mm (6" - 6.5")
    Variable Speed: 1,800 - 5,200 OPM Net Weight: 2.3kgs (4.8Lbs)
    Power Cord: 4.0 meters Heavy-duty Cable.
    Accessory:PU Velcro Backing Plate,D Handle,Wrench,Canvas bag,Carbon Brush.Manual

6-Speed Settings: Recommended speeds are as follows:
    1:1800 OPM - 320OPM Waxing & Buffing
    2:3200 OPM - 420OPM Polishing & Cleaning
    3:4200 OPM - 480OPM Removing paint defects and Swirls

Post Thanks / Like

Edit to my post above: Now that I look at pictures on both units side by side, there is no way they are the same product. The one from Ansi looks like a knock off you'd find at Harbor Freight while the MaxShine China unit looks like something you'd buy from Griots.

It also looks like MaxShine has 5 and 6" backing plates available with or without venting holes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'd like to say that everything that is copied in China is junk, but that's like saying all of this is junk or all of that is junk. Anyone watched "Shark Tank" the last few years? Get someone on there with a GREAT design and the first thing the 'sharks' want to do is move manufacturing "overseas" (IE to CHINA).

I saw one guy with a really great design for tradesmen to use on their pickup trucks. Some sort of rack deal that'd break down so you could be a worker during the week and a high roller mall cruiser on the weekends. The design was flawless, and he HAD a US manufacturer. He even went to trade shows and had promises of purchase. But what he wanted was cash capitol to build more display units, to hit more trade shows (SEMA is but just one).

The sharks shut him down! They WANTED the idea, and they made him an offer, but ONLY if he'd move manufacturing to China so they could sell the units for $199 and make $150 profit instead of $499 and make $150 profit. (Or whatever it was.)

The guy stuck to his guns though as he (I think was a laid off car worker, or something like that) and BELIEVES in OUR COUNTRY. He's still making his product btw! And it proudly says "Made in the USA" on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

thinking out loud here... if the GG6 is to what the PC should've been, then maybe the rupes knock-off will be improved more than the rupes in some ways. it's kinda like when the first batch (with the sticker on the side, polishing 5-6 & waxing 3-4) of the second generation GG6's came out, some say it was more powerful than the current ones, so maybe the china rupes will be upgraded/refined a little more. I can imagine griot's picking it up (rebranding) and selling it for around $169.99-$189.99 with a lifetime warranty and with a description like, "now polish bigger surfaces with less effort, etc."

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed to the idea, should be an interesting machine to test out at least.

There is definitely a quality difference, but I wonder i the price justifies its capabilities.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast