autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight DA Polisher - New

I was showing my neighbor how to polish his Acura and was using my FLEX 3401 to do so.He asked me how much I paid for mine and I told him.He said he wasn't going to spend that much on a DA.I told him to go on AGO and pick up a PC.
    Earlier in the week he said he picked up a DA from HF online.
    He said he used an coupon code with 20% off and the total with the coupon code is $47.99.
    I told him I wouldn't know how long your $47.99 would last?
    But we'll see because he lives right next door and I'm going to check it out when he gets it.Im interested in,if it's as strong running as at least a PC?
    I'll ask him to let me know when/if the unit ever fails for him?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see some reviews once they're in some people's hands and get a bit of use. As an avid DIY'er, I have a large selection of power tools and the only HF tool on the shelves is their rotary polisher. It will never replace my 30 year-old USA-built rotary, but for occasional use it's OK once you learn to live with its limitations.
    I know it's usually not appropriate to talk at length about a non-AG polisher like the HF DA here on the AG forum, but I think there's some benefit to be had for AG. I no longer care to moonlight doing weekend details, as the time and energy are no longer there. Of all the people I've extolled the benefits of machine polishing to, only one has actually purchased a PC, and that's only because I gave him a backing plate and pad assortment to get him started. Many more spent $29.99 for a useless wax-spreader, despite my objections, which soon went to the garage sale pile. If people get a useable, inexpensive DA in their hands and maintain their interest in machine polishing, the potential long-term revenue for pads and products can far surpass the lost revenue for one polisher.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    In case anyone has not seen it, I got a good picture of this beast

Quite frankly, I saw it in person and thought it was pretty nice, just a bit heavy. Seems to use more metal where other polishers use plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one today . Since I didnt have a coupon, I had to pay full price 59.95 plus 2 year warrenty for 10.00. Now were do I get 6 inch pads , and what color pads. I only do my own cars so I dont need a bunch of pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Its my first DA polisher, I used rotarys and by hand before. I used a DA polisher at the Chicagoland meet and I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    I bought one today . Since I didnt have a coupon, I had to pay full price 59.95 plus 2 year warrenty for 10.00. Now were do I get 6 inch pads , and what color pads. I only do my own cars so I dont need a bunch of pads.
    You'd be best off to purchase a 5" backing plate so you can use 5.5" flat pads then you'll need at least 4 compounding pads (perhaps orange), 4 polishing pads (perhaps white or green) and one pad each to dedicate to each LSP you plan to use as a good start--depends allot on your paint and condition. At some point you might want to get a 3.5" or 3" backing plate for 4" or 3" pads for working on tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the new Lake Country Microfibers. They are the only pad you need. Throw them in your washing machine after use. This is a full range pad from compound to finishing polish. Of course you need a pad or two for each polish. I would recommend at least 4 if you are going to do a 2 step. You will want more pads if you cant clean them on the fly with compressed air.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the new Lake Country Microfibers. They are the only pad you need. Throw them in your washing machine after use. This is a full range pad from compound to finishing polish. Of course you need a pad or two for each polish. I would recommend at least 4 if you are going to do a 2 step. You will want more pads if you cant clean them on the fly with compressed air.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

for anyone who owns one of these, please post a video of it in action. thanks...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    You'd be best off to purchase a 5" backing plate so you can use 5.5" flat pads then you'll need at least 4 compounding pads (perhaps orange), 4 polishing pads (perhaps white or green) and one pad each to dedicate to each LSP you plan to use as a good start--depends allot on your paint and condition. At some point you might want to get a 3.5" or 3" backing plate for 4" or 3" pads for working on tight areas.
    New backing plate, four compounding pads, 4 polishing pads, plus a pad for your LSP? The OP just spent $60 on an orbital, so I think he needs a lower cost option. Lake Country 6.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

I keep my cars in pretty good shape, so I use more white pads than anything else. If I had to pick 3, it would be an orange, a white, and a black. If I had to pick six, I would add a yellow, another white, and a red.

You can go smaller, but I have use the 6.5" pads for years without any issues, just a little slower in removing defects.

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast