autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Teach me what not to do and mistakes to avoid

So being new to machines used on my cars I want to hear the things I should never do and mistakes others made so I can learn from them.

What I want to know is if its possible to burn the paint off anywhere on my truck/car using the PC incorrectly? The products I am using are safe and the strongest color pad I will use is orange so no issues there.

Things that concern me are edges of body lines and painted plastic bumpers etc. Is there any risk using the PC near these areas? In my mind I figure a convex surface body line will have a high point that the pad will ride on and it being so thin makes me think all the force would take the paint off. All the vids show Mike using the PC on flat hoods and door panels. What about all the door jam areas and high points in the body lines?

Please teach me something I dont know.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teach me what not to do and mistakes to avoid

Pc are the safest machine to use. There is a lot of technique you will need to learn but if you watch some of mikes vids I'm sure you will get the idea of how to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup I watched vids and bought his PC how to DVD.

opie_7afe

the PC will stop rotating on raised edges/body lines unless you know how to work the machine to get rotation, when there is no rotation happening there is very little correction happening so its highly unlikely you will go through the clearcoat/paint film. you can however overheat some plastic bumpers(mainly repaints) if you are not using machine properly, do you need to worry about it? not really but it CAN happen but not likely if you are using proper polishing technique. mike phillips just uploaded some new videos if you havent seen them yet showing how to use PC on curves and such its a good video on how to maintain pad rotation. so dont stress yourself about ruining your paint, just focus on the task at hand and after a while you will think back and say to your self "what was i so worried about?" good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    the PC will stop rotating on raised edges/body lines unless you know how to work the machine to get rotation, when there is no rotation happening there is very little correction happening so its highly unlikely you will go through the clearcoat/paint film. you can however overheat some plastic bumpers(mainly repaints) if you are not using machine properly, do you need to worry about it? not really but it CAN happen but not likely if you are using proper polishing technique. mike phillips just uploaded some new videos if you havent seen them yet showing how to use PC on curves and such its a good video on how to maintain pad rotation. so dont stress yourself about ruining your paint, just focus on the task at hand and after a while you will think back and say to your self "what was i so worried about?" good luck!
    Where, exactly, are Mike's 'new' videos with the PC located?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brian45acp View Post
    What I want to know is if its possible to burn the paint off anywhere on my truck/car using the PC incorrectly? The products I am using are safe and the strongest color pad I will use is orange so no issues there.
    Please teach me something I dont know.
    Long story short, the clutch built into the PC 7424XP will cause spindle rotation to cease with too much pressure. You can actually test this on your hand. If it won't harm your skin, it won't damage your paint. So the therory goes....

Oddly enough, fyi, too little pressure may not enable the spindle to rotate either.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, you are way too uptight about this whole thing--you're making ME nervous! Where are you located, maybe there is a member nearby who will give you an hour of his time to calm you down.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I am in California. I live in Highland which is near San bernardino area.

I am just trying to be safe and I dont want to be coming back here wishing I knew something I didnt after learning the hard way. I saw pics of a guy who had 20 yrs experience who krinkled the paint edge on a plastic bumper. This is why I am asking these things. I also just read about a guy with the Flex who was able to cook his paint while practicing on an old spot which was going to get repainted anyway.

I questioned on if i should have bought the Flex but perhaps based on what you guys are telling me the PC is most newbie friendly. A guy I shoot competition with apparently had a detail business some time ago I just learned so I will be calling him up today and ask some questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, google maps tells me you're not that far from Irvine, why don't you take a ride down to a Meguiar's Thursday Night Open Garage or one of the Saturday detailing classes that Mike used to teach, you can get some hands-on and watch other people use the machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Didnt know anything about it. Thanks for the info and any more you can offer.

I honestly think I am ready to go for it but not until next week because my order wont make it here until next Wed. I will start on my daily driver Corolla that I dont care about and learn technique before touching my Platinum Tundra.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast