autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing with PC 7424XP

Hello all. Bought myself the above mentioned buffer and some Meguires products. Ultimate compound, Ultimate polish then the NXT tech wax to finish off with. I have an 08 Titan that is Galaxy Black. With it being black it has many fine scratches and even some swirl marks from the previous owner. Is the Ultimate compound too much to start with? Im new to using the buffer and always waxed by hand but this is alot of truck and wanted to save time and my arm. I heard good things about these products on the titan forums and I have used Meguires in the past. Just looking for a little help and this looks like the right place.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing with PC 7424XP

Mike Phillips always teaches to start with the least aggressive product first.

I would try the Ultimate polish first. If you find that it is not removing the swirls and scratches to your satisfaction, then you can step up to Ultimate Compound.
    Brian

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to like this forum alot. What pad type. I have lake county orange pad and green. Should I start with green then go to orange if I need more cut? Or just start with the most cut?

Post Thanks / Like

what size pads are you using?

make sure you do a test spot. May even need to test spot several areas (heavily swirled, fine scratches) to find out the best combo for differently affected panels.
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to start with Ultimate Polish, I would start with the green pad first.

Since you are new to machine polishing I would give the below thread a read. It should be able to answer a lot of questions that you may have. It is very informative.

DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing
    Brian

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The pads are 5.5inch. I bought the kit here with the PC and 4 pads. I will look at the thread you have listed also. Thanks again guys. I just know with black it can be easy to mess it up and really dont want to do that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to detailing the truck. It only took around 7 hours lol. I used the PC 7424xp and that really helped alot.

Started with a wash with dish soap then a clay bar. I started with the Meguires Ultimate polish but it didnt take out the scratches so I went to the Ultimate Compound.

Did the UC over the entire truck, then the UP then the Meguires NXT wax.

WOW is all I can say about the truck. All the swirl marks are gone and she is shining like crazy.

It really wasn't that bad except for the heat. We have been in the 90s for over 20 days in a row and in the upper 90s now. I did the work in the garage and out of the sun. The truck body was cool to the touch, as cool as 90s can get.

Anyways here are a few after pics, didn't get in good before pics since I pulled it in the garage so fast to get her out of the sun. The pic with my ugly mug in it shows the metal flake in the paint as the sun hits it. The truck is a Titan Pro4x CC LWB in Galaxy Black which is really popping now in the sun.

Thanks for all the input about how to go about this.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy wd View Post

Finally got around to detailing the truck. It only took around 7 hours lol. I used the PC 7424xp and that really helped alot.

Hi Galaxy wd,

Results look great!

Thanks so much for the follow-up...