autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well...I'm at my wits end now. I got the swirls out(95% of them), but each 1' x 1" panel I did has a lot of hazing that I quite noticeable.
    I have no idea what to do now. I worked 1 panel for like 8 minutes and went what I thought was slow enough. An it still shows quite a bit of hazing. I've spent 2 hours and still haven't finished even half of the door.

Here's a look at today's technique. I(56k- stay away!)

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...t=MVI_0101.flv

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...t=MVI_0100.flv

From this pic...you would think the finish is pretty darn good, but it isn't at all.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...4/IMG_0099.jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any thoughts on what I should try next? I've read the micromarring can be caused by not breaking down the polish or breaking it down too much....how do I know which is causing the marring?
    Should I be putting more pressure on the pad maybe? How many times can I go over the same area(trying to remove my mistakes) without worrying about damaging the paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you prep the paint first? (especially on black), Use a clay bar? , finish still looks dirty

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paint was clean. What you saw was polish that had splattered outside of the panel I was working on. Plus there was some SSR dust that was clinging to some of the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity...how would using a SLOWER speed (like 4) affect my results? I'm going to try to get all of the polishing done on Mon and Tues, so I need to have all the info I can get so I don't end up spending 8 hours polishing only to end up with no results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you watched teh autogeek videos on using the pc? If not, I'd recommend taking a look at them. The only problem I had was not using the XMT line and using other products. Big difference after using the XMT products.

Post Thanks / Like
    XMT Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a little late for me to try XMT since I have all PB polishes right now...and I've got 4 days til cold weather hits NY. I've got Mon and Tues to get this done(will be 55+ degrees and partly sunny).

Post Thanks / Like
    the biggest flaw i see is that to me your not holding the pc properly. Put your hand down on the head and push directly down on the head and guide it by holding the body with your other hand. This provides even contact, more control, and minimizes hop. Also it could be the reason the polishes are hazing on your car.

Also did you clay it first ?

-Ryan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried a little more polishing today. It was still a disappointment. though. I've still got micromarring occurring.
    I tried SSR2 w/ orange pad(2 passes), then SSr2 with gray pad(twice)= micromarring
    SSr2 with orange (2 passes) then SSR2 with white pad (twice) = micromarring
    SSR2 on white pad then gray pad=micromarring
    Then tried a fresh panel:
    SSr2 with white pad= swirls not touched much

SSr2 with orange(twice), SSr1 with orange(twice), SSr1 with gray pad=micromarring

I'm definitely noticing now that my car has more swirls than I had thought. They are light, but there are plenty of them. The polishing IS definitely removing them, but the micromarring makes the paint 'sparkle' in bright sunlight.

I tried light pressure, heavier pressure, and speed 6....I still can't figure this darn PC out! It seems like every combo I try causes the micromarring. I'm more worried now that I'll end up running out of polish at this rate....and I've got to get this done by Tues.

Right now, I've decided to try and polish out the swirls on the entire car THEN go back and take a stab at the micromarring.
    Assuming I can't get the micromarring out......will Duragloss polish and AW hide the micromarring on black paint?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast