autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First time using my DA, not thrilled..

Below is a photo that shows the difference before and after. Although it brought back the natural color, it didn't impress me very much. I used Chemical Guys V34, 36, and 38. Using Orange cutting pad and moving on to White pad with V38. Also, afterwards I noticed a tremendous amount of whitish specks everywhere. Now, I'm not sure if they were there before and I just didn't notice them, or if buffing brought them out. It's my 2006 Explorer and the reason I did hood was basically to practice before moving on to my newer 4Runner. Still, it was a lot of work for only subpar results. Did several passes with each stage of polish. Any thoughts?
    First time using my DA, not thrilled..-20160627_143949-jpg First time using my DA, not thrilled..-20160711_105719-1-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time using my DA, not thrilled..

My 4Runner has lots of scratches that you cannot feel with a nail and feel like they should come out with the buffer relatively easy. I'm thinking of moving on to Meguiars' 105 and 205 as the results with CG has not been good. Also, I've been hearing that foam pads aren't very great for getting out minor, thin scratches and some have said to just get microfiber cutting pads. Is this necessary? I already bought 3 foam pads (orange, white, black) if my memory is correct. Lastly, can I get out most of these minor scratches without wet sanding? Aren't these polishes designed to buff out minor scratches?? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Order the pinnacle advanced compound/polish. Chem Guys doesnt make much that works well.

But it takes practice, keep at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if those marks are sand blasting marks that become more pronounced as you remove the finer blemishes around them?

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me I would look at a better product. I am not a Chemical Guy's fan PERIOD. I had 1st hand experience with V36 and V38 and I could not finish the correction. Luckily, I had a little Menzerna left and was at least able to finish the compounding. I had some McGuire's 205 left and finished the rest. The Chemical Guys stuff went in the trash. I have used a couple of other Chemical Guys products and had similar experiences. Others may have had better experience with any Chemical Guys products. I no longer even consider them for any detailing decisions. I would look at Menzerna, Pinnacle, Wolfgang or McGuiar's compounding/polishing products.

IMO I think you will have a better experience in your next detail with your DA.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

are you doing the whole car with just one pad per product?? or do you have multiple sets of the 3 pack?

Mike Phillips

First - Here's your pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Weaverpsu View Post

Also, afterwards I noticed a tremendous amount of whitish specks everywhere.

Did several passes with each stage of polish.

Any thoughts?

The word is troubleshooting....

First, take a clean, microfiber towel or wax applicator pad and rub some wax or a fine cut polish over JUST A SECTION of the paint where you see these specs.

See if they wipe off.

If not then I'd say you have cracks in your Ford's paint. This is common on the hood of cars. If it is cracks, then the reason they are showing up is you filled them with compound/polish and it's really hard to get the residue out of the cracks.

You can try machine polishing a finishing wax over them and this might remove the compound/polish residue and replace it with the wax.

A finishing wax has no CLEANERS in it so nothing to turn white.

Mike Phillips

Which type of polisher are you using?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Porter Cable knockoff from HF. Same power, size, etc. If I try to post pictures before making them smaller they fail to attach. Cruz, I used only 1 pad but also only did half the hood with it before cleaning. Also, I used clay bar first before attempting project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weaverpsu View Post
    Below is a photo that shows the difference before and after. Although it brought back the natural color, it didn't impress me very much. I used Chemical Guys V34, 36, and 38. Using Orange cutting pad and moving on to White pad with V38. Also, afterwards I noticed a tremendous amount of whitish specks everywhere. Now, I'm not sure if they were there before and I just didn't notice them, or if buffing brought them out. It's my 2006 Explorer and the reason I did hood was basically to practice before moving on to my newer 4Runner. Still, it was a lot of work for only subpar results. Did several passes with each stage of polish. Any thoughts?
    First time using my DA, not thrilled..-20160627_143949-jpg First time using my DA, not thrilled..-20160711_105719-1-jpg
    Can't comment on the products as I don't use nor have used those. My guess is simliar to what's already been noted. The vehicle in question is nearly 11 years old and likely has some cracking of the clear coat. Has it or is it exposed to elements quite a bit as in parked outside vs a garage? How about sun, are you near the equator/southern part of the US? How have you cared for it over the years? All these factors could cause paint to crack over time and when you polish the compounds are amplifying the cracks because they are filled with it. As mike notes, a finishing wax should dry clear and not make them as visible.

Pad wise, you should be using multiple per vehicle. For an Explorer I'd say a new pad every couple panels so 5-6 per vehicle for compounding and same for polishing. Finishing wax or LSP I would use 2. Mainly for the sake of one becoming overloaded with product and I like to keep more on hand in case one is dropped.

Polisher wise, the one you're using is an entry level unit. They work fine but just be sure you mark your backing plate so that you can tell if it's stalls. I used a Porter Cable 7424 series for a long while prior to biting the bullet and buying a Flex 3401. Hindsight I should have just bought the Flex years ago and saved myself hours of time.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast