autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not So Easy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not So Easy

I applied Synergy on my car today and found it to be rather difficult to apply and not so easy to remove. I clayed and used the cleansing polish prior to doing this. I also applied Black Label Paint Sealant prior to using Synergy.

I am aware of the debate of using a sealant and a wax. After my experience, I must say that I see no difference in the shine after applying Synergy. In fact, I was disappointed with the product, from the application to the visible result. I have read how easy Synergy is to apply so I am a bit concerned as to why I did not have that experience. I am also concerned about spending close to $200 on a wax that gave me less than expected results. I should have stuck with the sealant, as it looked spectacular after applying it.

I would appreciate any advice or tips on this issue, as I would like to figure out why the Synergy gave less than spectacular results.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not So Easy

What comes to mind is that either you applied it too thick or either you didn't let it dry long enough therefore go back clean a small section of a panel use the smallest amount you can then do the swipe test after 5 or 10 mins then buff off any residue left then compare both experiences

Post Thanks / Like

DP4Duke,
    I know exactly what you are talking about because I've experienced this myself. The problem, as I see it, is the sealant gives you so much of what you're looking for in terms of look that your expecting the wax to provide an even higher level of gloss, wetness, and whatever after you apply it. I think what just happened is the sealant stole all of the wax's glory. If you had done it in reverse, wax then sealant, you would have been disappointed with the sealant.
    I imagine the wax was difficult to spread only because the sealant was not letting it stick as easily as it would have to un-sealed paint. When this happens when I apply a wax over a sealant, I use circular motions followed by linear passes. Sometimes I have to do this two or three times per panel because the sealant is letting the wax slide but not stick. Enough elbow grease overcomes this however.
    As far as dissapppointment in the wax, don't be. Synergy, I am sure, is a fantastic wax. I would bet that if you wash a car then apply synergy where there's no sealant, you will be rewarded with what your looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what the dude above me is saying, however sounds like you used way to much product, a swipe or two maybe per panel should cover fine, thin is definitely in with Synergy.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    I have no idea what the dude above me is saying, however sounds like you used way to much product, a swipe or two maybe per panel should cover fine, thin is definitely in with Synergy.
    He probably used too much product because spreading wax over a quality sealant is very different than spreading wax over clear coat or paint. Over a sealant, the wax seems to just slide around and not stick; therefore the typical remedy, I presume, is to use more wax. Of course, using too much wax would make it difficult to remove.

Furthermore, he stated the sealant gave him the look he was after, and should have stopped there. In other words, he was expecting too much from the wax in terms of adding to the look. This is where the sealant stole all of the glory from the wax. I too, am guilty of this mistake. With me, It happened with bfwd and blackice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Although it is possible I used to much wax, what expdetailing is saying makes sense, so where does that leave me? Do I omit the sealant and just use the wax or can I apply the Synergy over the sealant in a few months with better results?

Which brings up another issue; doesn't Synergy require prepping with the cleansing polish which would remove the sealant?

Thank each of you for your comments as I try to better understand these products.

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine applying synergy in a couple months would have some eye-pleasing effect. This would really only be if pbl coating starts to lose its luster, or its initial pop, so to speak.
    Don't fall into the trap of believing that a pbl surface cleansing polish is needed.
    It may have been a good idea to start out with, but us forum members don't know what you did to your paint prior to application of pbl coating. Maybe you could tell us what prep work you did. Prep work would be ideal, but not necessary. I'm sure you washed the car first.
    I think (if you in fact did prep the paint, or the paint is near perfect) you should leave the coating on, and just accept the fact of what the wax is, and that's a very, very good wax. Nano- glass ceramic particles and carnuba; that's awsome. Give the car a coat of wax if you hav not already.
    I'll tell you, after I coated my car with a sealant, any wax I had really added almost nothing to the look. If anything, the wax muted the look of the coating somewhat.
    Non-the-less, I waxed anyways because I knew I was now providing my clear coat and the sealant a sacrificial barrier made of a high quality wax.
    My new thought is to save my expensive wax for paint that won't be recieving a coating, and just using run-of-the-mill wax over sealants. Did that make sense?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You have "nailed" my feelings and observations about this matter, expdetailing! Synergy did actually diminish the shine of the sealant; or at least I thought so.

Here is more information as to the car and what I did prior to the application of the Synergy. First I washed the car with Black Label Diamond Coating Shampoo. The paint on the car is in good shape, but I did clay the car using the Nanoskin products. Next, I used Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish. Then I applied Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant. I applied the polish and the sealant with Porter Cable 7424. After letting the sealant cure for about 18 hours, I applied Synergy.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you machine apply Synergy?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

DP4Duke,
    It sounds like you did everything within your grasp and stuck to the pbl line to let it work as a system. It's easy to understand with the way synergy is marketed why you had the feelings you had. That being said though, I would bet anybody that no wax on earth can look any better than synergy does on top of pbl coating.
    So, how did the prep work impress you? Did you walk away thinking you could have done better, or were you impressed with the results?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast