autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not getting the results I was looking for?

Bought a 7424 at a yard sale for $30.00. Bought the XMT 360 with the XMT 180 wax, 3, 5.5 white pads, Wolfgang pad condition and cleaner, along with a pad cleaning brush. Replaced the backing plate on the 7424 with flexible one from eBay. That's before I found out about Autogeek.

Watched videos online from, how to apply product to new pad and using the 7424 for paint correction. Now, lets get real here GEEKS, this stuff isn't rocket surgery like SOME make it out to be on these forums.

Got half the car done with the 360 and two thin coats of the 180 wax. To be honest, I can't tell any difference than using my $30 dollar polisher from Autozone using Mothers cleaner wax and a micro fiber bonnet....Haven't done a side by side but, I will when I start the other half.

Oh yea.....I washed the car twice with Dawn....Don't freak out like Obama when there is an oil spill, they use it on water fowl...Old school, that is what we used on our muscle cars......Used a Mothers Clay bar over the entire car..... Pearl White Lexus GS. Applied the XMT exactly as directed in Mike P. videos to new pad and car...

Not really upset with all this just......expecting better results. Did get 2 killer micro fiber towels out of this deal.

Called Autogeek the other day and was informed I should have waited 6 hours before applying wax over the 360. Then 1 hour between each coat of wax. Products are next to me right now and neither label states that..... What's up with that....or the info I got????

The Queen is happy with it but, she would have been happy just putting it thru the car wash.....just trying to go to the next level....
    Thank God the Aston Martin DBS is a company car and I don't have to F$&@ with it......

Car looks good in Sun no swirl marks......maybe I should have used a different product(s) ??????

Hey if you don't know your S$&T, prefer you didn't respond as you prefer I didn't post. Looking for a TRUE EXPERT response not opinion......you know opinions are like a&@h@&$) and I don't need another one of those....love the micro fiber towels....

Sincerely,
    Bond, James Bond

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnaclewax.com Newsletter

Wow, I am not sure where to begin with this one.
    If you are going to come on here asking for help the very least you could do is treat others and yourself with respect. I highly doubt anyone is going to take this post seriously and why should they, almost everything you have stated is offensive in one way or another. If you are actually here to "take your car to the next level" as you have stated then there is no better place to go for advice and information. There is a wealth of information here and genuinely nice people who just want to help out a fellow detailer. Please treat other people as you wish to be treated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JB007 View Post
    Bought a 7424 at a yard sale for $30.00. Bought the XMT 360 with the XMT 180 wax, 3, 5.5 white pads, Wolfgang pad condition and cleaner, along with a pad cleaning brush. Replaced the backing plate on the 7424 with flexible one from eBay. That's before I found out about Autogeek.

Watched videos online from, how to apply product to new pad and using the 7424 for paint correction. Now, lets get real here GEEKS, this stuff isn't rocket surgery like SOME make it out to be on these forums.

Got half the car done with the 360 and two thin coats of the 180 wax. To be honest, I can't tell any difference than using my $30 dollar polisher from Autozone using Mothers cleaner wax and a micro fiber bonnet....Haven't done a side by side but, I will when I start the other half.

Oh yea.....I washed the car twice with Dawn....Don't freak out like Obama when there is an oil spill, they use it on water fowl...Old school, that is what we used on our muscle cars......Used a Mothers Clay bar over the entire car..... Pearl White Lexus GS. Applied the XMT exactly as directed in Mike P. videos to new pad and car...

Not really upset with all this just......expecting better results. Did get 2 killer micro fiber towels out of this deal.

Called Autogeek the other day and was informed I should have waited 6 hours before applying wax over the 360. Then 1 hour between each coat of wax. Products are next to me right now and neither label states that..... What's up with that....or the info I got????

The Queen is happy with it but, she would have been happy just putting it thru the car wash.....just trying to go to the next level....
    Thank God the Aston Martin DBS is a company car and I don't have to F$&@ with it......

Car looks good in Sun no swirl marks......maybe I should have used a different product(s) ??????

Hey if you don't know your S$&T, prefer you didn't respond as you prefer I didn't post. Looking for a TRUE EXPERT response not opinion......you know opinions are like a&@h@&$) and I don't need another one of those....love the micro fiber towels....

Sincerely,
    Bond, James Bond

Your out of control, and how dare you slander James Bond, he'd never act like this.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

All I can think of is: feminine hygiene product and the bag that it came in

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go change your pad

Mike Phillips

Re: Not getting the results I was looking for?

Just to be sure, you bought all of the above at a yard sale? That's how it reads? Sounds like a killer deal considering what just the PC sells for new.

Removing swirls out of a thin layer of paint isn't rocket surgery, (I use the term rocket science), but it is important to have a little head knowledge before you start just to make sure

A: You get good results
    B: You create problems.

I've been teaching people how to polish paint and detail cars all my life now and I'm happy to say that the majority of people over the last 26 years have had great success.

Well that's entirely possible. XMT 360 is a LIGHT CLEANING cleaner/wax. It's not going to perform miracles when it comes to removing swirls out of a clear coat finish.

The Porter Cable is a LOT better tool for removing swirls than any traditional orbital polisher and that's a fact.

TOB = Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

Oh yea.....I washed the car twice with Dawn....Don't freak out like Obama when there is an oil spill, they use it on water fowl...Old school, that is what we used on our muscle cars......Used a Mothers Clay bar over the entire car..... Pearl White Lexus GS.

Applied the XMT exactly as directed in Mike P. videos to new pad and car...
    For a car like this I would recommend getting a high quality medium cut polish and this should remove the the swirls to your satisfaction and everyone on this forum will be more than willing to help every step of the way because this isn't "new" territory were coving this has all been done before.

But when a person is NEW to machine buffing there is at a minimum some level of learning to be had.

XMT 360 is a light cleaning cleaner/wax. There are stronger cleaner/waxes available if you only want to do one step.

None of that is set in stone it's mostly minute details that people that are REALLY into turning waxing their car into rocket science want to know and procedures they want to follow.

I don't know who you talked to but here's the deal, if you're going to top a cleaner/wax with a finishing wax you don't have to wait. You can but you don't have to.

Now if you want to top a finishing sealant with a finishing wax then some people like to wait for a "WINDOW of TIME" for about 12 hours to let the protection ingredients in the first product to their magic as in how they bond and set up BEFORE disrupting them by applying the second product.

I personally don't do any of this stuff but some get really deep into waxing their cars and if that's what they want there's nothing wrong with it.

The car looks good in the sun and there are no swirl marks.

Above you posted this,

Got half the car done with the 360 and two thin coats of the 180 wax. To be honest, I can't tell any difference than using my $30 dollar polisher from Autozone using Mothers cleaner wax and a micro fiber bonnet....

So my question is... what did the paint look like BEFORE you started?

You say it looks good now but you say you can't tell a difference after using a light cleaner/wax?

This sounds like the paint looked good to start with?

Sincerely,
    Bond, James Bond

I don't have a comment on the above except this is a family friendly forum made up of very nice, courteous people that are always willing to help others. You'll get more help if you conduct yourself in a more professional manner than like you're representing yourself in this last statement.

Post Thanks / Like

First off I highly doubting the paint is swirl free. It's white damn it, you have to know your stuff to be able to see the swirls, plus good lights. Second, white is never going to be a dramatic deference between swirl free and swirled. Mike even has a thread on white cars.

And that smartass remark at the end wasn't needed. You pretty much lost respect from a WHOLE lot of people. Good luck...

Post Thanks / Like
    As a practicing rocket surgeon I take extreme offense to some of the statements made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to learn proper technique.

Post Thanks / Like

First, if you are looking for help, approach with some respect. I understand that majority of the forums these days are packed with wolves just waiting to take a bite out of newbies. However, AG is just not like that. There are tons of people here with years of knowledge and experience who can help you make your car look its best.

Having said that, it would help to post some good quality pictures of the car you are working on. Altho detailing is not rocket science, there are some techniques and information you need to acquire and everything else is a lot of common sense. Also, as someone already mentioned, perhaps you want to curve your expectations as with a white car, as with everything else, there are pros and cons. Pro is that a white car will hide defects very well. The con is that it will be difficult at best to get a dripping wet effect as a black car would. You mentioned there are no swirls in which case, perhaps you will need to look into glazes and experiment with different waxes to achieve the look you are going for.

Lastly, Mothers makes a fine product and just because it is OTC, doesn't make it any less.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast