autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - Most gentle clay? As gentle as Sonus SFX?

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    The lightest graded clay available is fine. Brand does not matter because it is only made by one company in the US because of patent law. The clay is then packaged and sold retail to the customer. The colors don't matter because the retailer can request different colors. As long as you are buying a brand name and not the generic off of eBay it's all the same. So buy the biggest cheapest bars you can get. Just a quinky dink. I have only seen clay come packed one way. Clear plastic wrappers. They only thing different is the box if it comes with one.
    Griots garage has a different clay formula for sure though because it is nowhere near as good as the sonus ultra fine clay.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Pinnacle UP Clay on several black Hondas with soft paint. Haven't had any issues with marring. For lube I've either used leftover Dawn wash or CG Citrus Wash or Blackfire Rinseless Wash diluted per instructions for clay lube in a spray bottle. Personally, I am going to polish anytime I clay, so I may not have been looking that closely. I do like the UP better than the Pinnacle speed clay.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Since my original post I went ahead and bought Sonus clay and clayed my soft black paint. The Sonus SFX did not mar the paint. I did, however, polish after to prepare the surface for a new coating.

While I don't have experience with the Pinnacle (I went with the Sonus based on price, as well as customer testimonials) I was happy with the SFX. It certainly felt different than any of the OTC clay that I had previously used (Mother's & Meguiar's), and my empirical results confirm that it is indeed more gentle. For lube I used Sonus Clay Lube as well as ONR diluted to lube strength and UWW+ (testing the three to see which I liked the best with this clay - really no meaningful difference to speak of - they're all high quality products).

I look forward to any questions or comments.

Happy detailing!

Mike Phillips

Just add...

I clayed the 1986 Porsche Slant Nose out in the garage last night. Took some pictures to show what the clay removed.

This Porsche has been repainted so it's NOT factory paint but it is soft as it corrects very easily.

I did not notice the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, which is an ultra fine clay marring or scratching the paint on this Porsche.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12