autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting set for first time DA use

So I'm getting set to order a GG6 and will be my first time using a DA
    I was thinking of getting the pinnacle swirl remover combo. and thinking of staying with pinnacle and picking up souveran as well. I have a 2017 Ford Explorer Sport in smoked quartz (darker color Blue/Grey). Do you think this combo will be ok? Also I'm coming from zaino and used to using a sealer. should I put one under the souveran wax? if so what seems to be a good combo? and should I go liquid or paste?
    also watching the AG vids on youtube, what towels do they use to wipe off the swirl/polish/wax? they seem to do a good job and want to pick some up. (gonna be a big order , gonna have to hide from the wife)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting set for first time DA use

Congrats on the GG6....got one a year ago and love using it. I've used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax (actually a polymer-based sealant) under Pinnacle Signature Series II, with great results. I use Griots PFM wax removal towels and really like them. I'm not the most experienced person on this forum, so I'm sure that others will chime in and help. This is a great place to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

just make sure move the polisher slow so the pad and product can do the work. here's a good video to check out...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads and a 3.5" BP and 4" pads!! And get plenty of pads--Here's an article by Mike Phillips re the number of pads you need for each step: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Post Thanks / Like

Im also about to buy the same DA for a brand New Black Tahoe covered in swirls. Good info so far! I appreciate all the experience on these forums. I have been watching a few videos each day for good info.

What is the general rule for when you can correct new paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nickfire20 View Post
    Im also about to buy the same DA for a brand New Black Tahoe covered in swirls. Good info so far! I appreciate all the experience on these forums. I have been watching a few videos each day for good info.

What is the general rule for when you can correct new paint?
    Do you mean a brand new paint job (repaint)? Or simply a "new" vehicle in general? (I'm not a "pro" either, but I think there's a difference if I remember correctly).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Do you mean a brand new paint job (repaint)? Or simply a "new" vehicle in general? (I'm not a "pro" either, but I think there's a difference if I remember correctly).
    I guess i want both answers.

They had to repaint the liftgate, because it was scratched up good. (And of course they washed it with crappy towels and its all swirly again) their fix to the swirls was waxing the whole vehicle for me, they had it a total of 12 days, and barely did crap. And when I say "they" I mean, Chevy's bodyshop. HORRIBLE!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on moving into the DA world. I have the GG6 and like others, love it. That combo sounds fine although I've not used it. HD Speed All in One is a great product. So are the BOSS products. Megs 105/205 is a standard. Towels? Folks seem to love the PFM from Griot's. I use several type as long as they are plush, soft and edge less. Trust your research and skills. Then have fun.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the car has a good strip wash, decontamination and clay of the paint before you polish. Than start off easy with a polish/polish pad before moving onto a compound/cutting pad only if you cannot get the correction needed.

Use the bathroom scale trick to find out how much pressure to apply when holding the machine down and use very slow arm movement. Slow and steady passes to work and break the polish down.

Make sure to have 4-6 pads of each kind to do a full correction to be safe they can gunk up and lose effectiveness

For good priced towels the supreme 530 and the gold plush jr are a solid towel to start out with

Sent from my XT1650 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

good info guys, and glad it sounds like the GG6 is a good choice.
    but how about the product mentioned above? good results? should I look at something else? the 105 mentioned above gets mixed reviews so I think I'm gonna stay clear of that.
    just need solid recommendations for a darker colored vehicle which I want the deep wet look and good protection. so if I need to put a sealant on prior to a wax I'm fine with that too

if you have product recommendation and which pads work well, I'm all ears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast