autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1998 Isuzu Rodeo Extreme Makeover! - Single Stage Paint

1998 Isuzu Rodeo Extreme Makeover! - Single Stage Paint

This is a cheap re-spray using single stage red paint on this all original 1998 Isuzu Rodeo. As far as we know outside of an occasional washing and drying, the paint on this car has never been maintained in any other way.

What's unique about the paint is that no matter where you look, no matter the location, the paint is UNIFORMLY oxidized and to be honest... simply ugly.

Daily Driver = Production Detailing

To tackle this project we're going to use the Blackfire Total Polish & Seal which is a One-Step Cleaner/Sealant or All-in-One.

BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal is an all-in-one polish and paint sealant that delivers a smooth shine in one quick step. This is a timesaver that will save your paint finish. A combination of cleaners, polishing agents, and high gloss Wet Diamond polymers gives any paint finish instant shine and lasting protection. See what you can accomplish in just one step with BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal!

A cleaner/sealant is in the same category of products called cleaner/waxes only instead of using a wax like Carnauba wax for the protection ingredients this product uses man-made, synthetic polymers. Same idea though and this means this product will,
    1. Clean
    2. Polish
    3. Protect

And do all three in one-step. Then afterwards we're going to machine apply a coat of Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax for an extra layer of protection and to also really give the red paint that warm Carnauba glow.

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste is a hand-poured, premium carnauba wax that combines a mile-deep shimmering gloss with high tech Wet Diamond polymers. It brings out the best in all paint finishes with a combination of super-refined carnauba wax blended with nourishing oils and German polymers. This wax creates incredible depth of shine on all paint colors with a hard, protective barrier to the elements.

First, let me document just how bad the paint is on this old Isuzu so we can see where we're starting from. Remember, the power in the after pictures is captured in the before pictures.

When doing an extreme makeover to showcase your talent or your products it's VITAL to get great before pictures because after you buff out the paint you can never go back in time to get them. You can ALWAYS get the after shots but you only have one opportunity to get the before shots.

See my article on this topic here,

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

Without further ado....

Here's the before shots showing how neglected and ugly the paint is...

The paint is so flat it almost looks like RED PRIMER!

Absolutely zero gloss, shine or reflectivity in FULL SUN!

Looks like this Rodeo has seen a few rodeos in it's day!

It's so oxidized it's turning white as has a texture like chalk!

For those that don't know, this is call the,

High Overhead Hood Shot

Here's the sun trying to reflect off the hood...

Trying...

The sun trying to reflect... kind of a lost cause...

Even the paint inside the grill openings is uniformly oxidized...

Notice the Palm Tree off to the side of the truck...

Notice the lack of reflection of the Palm Tree on the hood...

And a cropped out section of the above picture...

Yep... this is what I would call a neglected vehicle...

In my how to book I list 11 categories that describe the condition of paint on ANY vehicle. I would say this Isuzu falls into category #7

Page 37 - Paint Condition Categories

We start the extreme makeover on this rig starting tonight at 5:00pm.

This class is already full but for reference, here's the sign-up thread.

Pictures on Monday as I'm offline on Friday.

Mike Phillips

Re: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo Extreme Makeover! - Factory Single Stage Paint

Continued....

Here's what the paint looks like after moving the Isuzu into the studio...

This shot was taken with the flash OFF and this is what the paint looks like in person, there's no reflection or shine, just dull and chalky.

This shot was taken with the flash ON for reference...

Here we've taped off half of the hood....

This is what oxidized single stage paint looks like...

Hand-rubbed, hand-massaged using #7 Show Car Glaze
    Here's one half of the hood rubbed out by hand using terry cloth and Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze. The cotton nap or little loops of fibers act as an abrasive to remove the dead paint while massaging the oils into the dried-out brittle paint bringing the color back to life but also reinvigorating the paint to make it safer to work on in the next step.

Same shot as above only with the tape-line removed...

Now my team goes to work hand rubbing the #7 oils into the paint using small wads of terry cloth toweling and then after massing the oils into the paint using terry cloth to remove the oily residue.

Here you can see the color completely coming back. This is Jesse's first time with the team and his first time rubbing out paint the old fashioned way.

Here's Leo rubbing down the roof rack and John wiping some #7 off...

No Pictures - Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels
    After removing the #7 we used Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels to decontaminate the paint. Sorry but I was busy rubbing a Nanoskin Towel over the paint so I didn't get any pictures of this process but the paint was very rough with contaminants. During this step we showed a couple of the new guys the "Baggie Test" and the difference between before and after decontaminating the paint blew them away.

Machine Polishing
    Next up I let the guys choose and use whatever tool they wanted to test out or use as long as they used the correct buffing pads for the tool

BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal
    For this step we used BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal which is a light cutting one-step cleaner/sealant. This removed any left over dead, oxidized paint as well as leveled out any of the shallow swirls and scratches. Best of all, it did it in one-step.

Here's Tim and Antti working on the roof.

Here's Tom using a Porter Cable to work on the front of the Isuzu. Tom recently attended on of our Cars & Coffee shows and then decided to join us for a Thursday night project. Thanks Tom!

Working on the back of the roof with one of the prototype Duetto's sent to me by Rupes last year is Antti while down below to the right is Den using a Flex 3401.

Here's Jesse using a Porter Cable 7424XP

This is called teamwork!

Here's Larry working the lower rear of the car using a Flex 3401 with the Lake Country Backing Plate Adapter System and a 5" Hybrid Orange Cutting Pad.

Den continuing to work the passenger side of the Isuzu...

Jesse working his way down the roof while Annti switches over to a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher...

Here's Orlando using a Rupes Bigfoot 15m to work the driver's side of the Isuzu...

Blast from the past...
    I met Orlando aka landochiva back in April of 2007, that's 7 years ago, when he attended a Roadshow class I taught at Jimmy Buff-its shop in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Good to see you again my friend!

Down in front is my good friend Jeff using the Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer, glad you join us last night Jeff!

Machine Waxing
    After machine buffing the paint with the Total Polish & Seal next we topped the results using a non-cleaning finishing or show car wax to maximize gloss and richness of color. For this we're using BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun and applying it using Rupes 4" white finishing pads on the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher.

If you're still waxing by hand you're doing it the old fashioned way... machine waxing is the only way to fly!

Time to eat some pizza!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's what a machine applied coating of wax looks like, it's thorough with complete coverage.

How To Inspect a Microfiber Towel
    Tim gives all the new guys a quick lesson on how to inspect a microfiber towel using the Robert DiTerrlizzi Method before wiping the wax off the paint.

Time to get wiping...

Look at the shine start to appear.... look at the big screen in the back of the studio, you can see the before picture of the front grill and hood and how dull it looked before....

Before pictures of the roof
    I didn't take any before pictures of the roof but you can imagine being a horizontal surface, never getting waxed that it was just as oxidized as the rest of the Isuzu but look at it now!

Next up.... the after shots!

Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here are the amazing after shots from this extreme makeover here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage!

Looks like a new paint job!

Great work guys!
    Here's the AG Extreme Makeover Team...

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see the outcome!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A 1998 with single stage paint?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post
    This might blow your mind but I own a 2012 Toyota with ss paint. Some manufactures still use single stage paint. Mainly Toyota and Honda primarily on the whites, some blacks,and some reds.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post

This belongs to a co-worker's future mother-in-law and he said they purchased it just like you see it about 2 years ago.

It's possible the previous owners had it painted single stage and then never lifted a finger to maintain it but from the looks of it, at least to my eyes, it doesn't look like a repaint, it looks original.

Here's the deal, most cars come with a basecoat/clearcoat paint job.

Most doesn't equal all

Doesn't matter to me, I take em as I get em....

I originally had a classic BMW scheduled for tonight but the owner had to cancel out due to a schedule conflict.

Then I invited the owner of a 1956 Buck Special with a swirled-out, hazy looking paint job but he doesn't know who Autogeek is and has no idea what we do here on Thursday nights so he hasn't taken me up on my offer as of yet.

Perhaps as he meets more people in this area and sees the kind of work we turn out he'll change his mind but regardless, it's up to him. He can drive around in a cool car with a hazy paint job, fix it himself or have some fun and get some help from a great team of guys here at Autogeek on a Thursday night. I'm good with whatever he decides.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Mike!

Anyone that purchases both featured products (BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal AND Midnight Sun Paste Wax) will receive a FREE bottle of BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Instant Detailer with their order.

Place a note in the comments box at check out or give me a call. This offer expires tomorrow at 6 pm EST.

1-800-869-3011 ext 215

Post Thanks / Like

Wait to you see this transformation.Amazing.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast