autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures from Autogeek's Saturday Detail Clinic - April 21st

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffdog View Post
    Mike after you did Test Spot using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a Tangerine Hydro-Tech pad on a PC 7424XP, when you switched over to the advanced swirl remover did you also switch to a cutting pad or did you stay with the tangerine polishing pad?

Great question and Kevin will back me up on this...

We continued to use a Tangerine Polishing Pad but we did get a clean dry pad we didn't just apply the Swirl Remover to the pad we were using the Finishing Polish on just as a matter of following the "Best Practice" of not cross-contaminating pads with different products.

I specifically wanted to teach Kevin how to do a Test Spot using the least aggressive approach but knew that the Advanced Finishing Polish is a fine to ultra fine cut polish so it doesn't offer a lot of abrading ability. So using it with a finishing pad wasn't going to do the job.

I also didn't want to start out with a sharp, coarse foam cutting pad because the pad itself could leave DA Haze. So like the graphic equalizer analogy I talk about in this article,

The Graphic Equalizer Analogy to Polishing Paint

I decide to use the Advanced Swirl Remover with the Tangerine Polishing Pad and FOR THIS PAINT SYSTEM on this Mazda it was more than enough to remove 95% of all the swirls and scratches and the only scratches the remained were the deeper RIDS.

I also thoroughly explained why it's better to learn to live with a few RIDS than it is to try to remove 100% of them due to how thin factory clear paint is on new cars and that all the UV protection is in the clear layer.

Related articles...

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is...

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job on that hood! Car looks better than new!
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by carshine View Post

It is one thing to read the articles by the experts, but it is something entirely better to get hands-on instruction.

If anyone has the opportunity to attend one of these classes, then please do yourself a favor and make sure you go.

Thanks again Mike.

And just to note, this is just a small portion of what you'll learn at a full-blown class like my Detailing Boot Camp classes, which are two full days of hand-on training...

Sign-up for Mike Phillips Detailing Boot Camp - May 5th & 6th

This class includes,

• Vehicle Inspection Form - Doing a "Walking Around"
    • Glass Polishing
    • Headlight Restoration
    • Cosmetic Engine Detailing
    • Maintenance Washing
    • Rinseless Washing
    • Interior Detailing
    • Using Hot Water Extractors
    • Tornador Car Cleaning Guns
    • Wheels, Tires & Fenderwells
    • Clean, Condition & Protect Convertible Tops
    • How to clay paint with detailing clay
    • How to tape-off and cover-up a car
    • Using DA Polishers to remove swirls and polish to a high gloss
    • Using DA Polishers to machine wax
    • How to apply 2 types of coatings - Opti-Coat II & CQuartz
    • How to hand sand
    • How to machine dampsand with 3" & 6" Meguiar's Unigrit Discs
    • How to use a Rotary Buffer, wool pads and cutting compounds
    • How to use a Rotary Buffer, foam pads and polishes
    • Jewelling with a Rotary Buffer
    • Production Detailing - How to machine apply one-step cleaner/waxes
    Plus...
    Meet & Greet at the Marriot Lounge Fire Pit with Mike Phillips on Saturday Night

Click here for more information or to ask questions

Click here to to go the Autogeek store and register

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nappers View Post
    Awesome job on that hood! Car looks better than new!
    Thanks very much. Mike provided me hands-on instruction, and together we made the hood look fantastic using a combination of great polishing products, great tools, great pads, and great techniques.

Prior to attending, I didn't realize that I would get homework from this class, but Mike gave me the assignment of detailing the rest of my car using the techniques that he taught me. Of course, I happily accepted this assignment, especially since I planned on doing it anyway. My goal is to make the rest of my car look as perfect as the hood, and then keep it in new car condition with routine maintenance. I already have all my polishing products lined up, but I am awaiting the arrival from AGO of my newly purchased Porter Cable 7424XP (with intro pad kit). I ordered this orbital polisher Saturday night, and today I already received the shipping notification.

I am excited to employ the use of my new orbital polisher and pads, my newly acquired detailing techniques, and my select polishing products for a full detail of my vehicle. I anticipate that my entire car will look as great as the hood now does. Upon completion, I will report back with the details (no pun intended), and I will post photographs of the results.

Anyone who has a chance to attend one of Mike's classes really should. The education and training are personally rewarding, not only for the average daily driver like me, but for those people actually in the detailing business.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Great question and Kevin will back me up on this...

I specifically wanted to teach Kevin how to do a Test Spot using the least aggressive approach but knew that the Advanced Finishing Polish is a fine to ultra fine cut polish so it doesn't offer a lot of abrading ability. So using it with a finishing pad wasn't going to do the job.

In addition to the exceptional detailing techniques that Mike taught me, I fully agree that the best approach to detailing your car is to consider the least aggressive products to get the job done properly, and then notch up the aggressiveness from there if necessary. It is much easier to gradually smooth out existing paint by increasing the aggressiveness rather than having to live with paint worn down too much by being overly aggressive. For each detailing job, I believe that you should employ a risk / benefit analysis by using a combination of polish and pads that will provide the lowest risk (of wear to your paint) for the highest benefit (of appearance). It is much better to live with some imperfections and have a great car appearance rather than increase the risk of doing damage to the paint by trying for perfection.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,

Today, I finally finished what we started during your April 21, 2012 detailing 101 class. I spent half the day detailing my car (inside and out), and I cannot believe the results. The overall shine is outstanding. I really appreciate the instruction, and I highly recommend your class to anyone who cares about the shine and protection of their cars.

I used your techniques, a Porter Cable orbital polisher with two different pads, a bunch of microfiber cloths, and a great line of high quality vehicle care cleaner, polish, and protectant products.

First, I thoroughly hand-washed my car using a high quality car wash concentrate.

Then, I used a great Pre-Cleaner medium cutting cleaning polish and swirl mark remover to remove the oxidation, dirt, contaminants, and swirl mark build-up. I was excited that I finally got a chance to use my new orbital polisher to apply the Pre-Cleaner, and a gray low profile finishing pad was sufficient to perfectly accomplish the cleaning task. I easily removed the Pre-Cleaner polish haze by hand using a microfiber towel.

I then used the red ultra fine finishing pad with my orbital polisher to easily apply an excellent one-step shieldcoat polish / paint sealant. While that was setting, I cleaned and polished the interior of the vehicle. Afterwards, I used a clean microfiber cloth to easily remove the polish haze. Since the shieldcoat polish provides a deep showroom shine and long-lasting protection, I did not find it necessary to apply a separate car wax afterwards.

My car now looks absolutely amazing, but it is the protection that I am most excited about. I will definitely perform routine polishing maintenance in order to prevent the shine and protection qualities from subsiding with time.

Thanks again for your instruction. I now know how to properly combine great products, equipment, and techniques to get a showroom shine and long-lasting protection to my vehicle's paint, and I anticipate staying on top of this very rewarding task.

Below are before and after pictures that I thought I would share. The first 3 are before, and the last 2 are after (the images in the close up of the last pic are reflections of the clouds - there are no blemishes remaining in the paint).

Thanks again Mike,

Kevin (AKA carshine)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures from Autogeek's Saturday Detail Clinic - April 21st-sany3122-jpg   Pictures from Autogeek's Saturday Detail Clinic - April 21st-sany3123-jpg   Pictures from Autogeek's Saturday Detail Clinic - April 21st-sany3124-jpg   Pictures from Autogeek's Saturday Detail Clinic - April 21st-sany3126-jpg   Pictures from Autogeek's Saturday Detail Clinic - April 21st-sany3132-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, When will you be holding the next Saturday clinic?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by carshine View Post
    Hey Mike,

Today, I finally finished what we started during your April 21, 2012 detailing 101 class. I spent half the day detailing my car (inside and out), and I cannot believe the results. The overall shine is outstanding. I really appreciate the instruction, and I highly recommend your class to anyone who cares about the shine and protection of their cars.

Thanks again Mike,

Kevin (AKA carshine)

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the follow-up. The follow-up post to our forum is one of the most important posts in my opinion. So often people join a forum like ours, ask a ton of questions, get their answers and we never see or hear from them again. So I for one really appreciate the follow-up post.

It was nice having you at our facilities and I'm confident your cars will always look show room new with your new found skills and knowledge and I'm just as confident you'll show plenty of other people the things you've learned to help them further up the road.

"Each one teach one"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by EPK711 View Post
    Mike, When will you be holding the next Saturday clinic?
    This clinic you're posting to, I promoted it for about a month and one guy attended. My guess is in South Florida, having a "Saturday" off is to valuable to most people to learn how to detail their car when they could be surfing, swimming, fishing or ANYTHING by or in the beautiful ocean this time of year. That includes me.

I have some wetsanding and rotary buffer classes coming up but there's no interest so there's no class.

I switched everything back to Thursday nights because people come out of the woodwork when I hold a Thursday night clinic.

I post any clinic coming up to the BOTTOM of the forum homepage in my "box". If I'm going to sneeze, I post it to the box, that's my funny way of saying if I have anything going on in our garage that's open to the public I post it to the forum homepage and it's up to everyone interested to check the bottom of the forum homepage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12