autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1954 Ford F-100 - Extreme Makeover - Modeled by Janna

Awesome work as usual guys. Did you polish and seal the dash also? I'd hate to see a perfectly polished truck with a swirled dash.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    Awesome work as usual guys. Did you polish and seal the dash also? I'd hate to see a perfectly polished truck with a swirled dash.
    To be honest it was in good shape we spent more time refining the exterior .Glenn can use his new learned skill to finish up the inside . We even polished the rims for him .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

That truck looks amazing. Great job correcting the paint surface guys. The paint looks like it's dripping wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work guys/Janna!

Mike, I think you may have to start putting Adam on the payroll if he keeps helping you out like this.

....and Janna....Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    To be honest it was in good shape we spent more time refining the exterior .Glenn can use his new learned skill to finish up the inside . We even polished the rims for him .
    And I have Adam to thank for the wheel polishing and tire dressing work. I have some pictures of this to add but another project is on my desk that needs attention asap but I will add them...

Thank you Adam!

And here's the Transmigration Team minus Jeff who had to leave early...

Thanks guys!

From left to right...

Glen the owner of the truck, Rene, Robert, Adam and me...

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby you should of stopped by !!! We really needed to clay this truck in order to get the finish too look as wet as it does . When Mike mentioned to me to run my hand over the fender it was like running your hand over sandpaper . Mike and I spent at least twice as long on the roof then the other guys just doing the rest of the truck that's how bad it was .
    Lamborghini Broward

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Very nice writeup and great results, Mike. Seeing the timestamp you're probably still posting followups... a few quizzicals.

I've seen commentary alluding to dedicated backing plates for the OPT MF pads... is that what was used? The BP on the GG 3" doesn't appear to be a GG BP. Is the idea similar to Meg's backing plates, ie, better pad cooling?
    What pad manufacturers recommend is to use the correct matching backing plate to the pad so that you're using the Velcro hook-n-loop material designed for their system. It is true that using the wrong type of hook, mis-matched to the loop material can increase heat over time with pressure and cause both backing plate and pad failure.

The backing plate being used at least on the 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher in the above picture is the 3" Meguiar's backing plate for their Unigrit Sanding Discs.

Here's why I used it...

Because it was already attached to the tool.

I simply wanted to test out the 3" Optimum Microfiber Pad just to monitor pad rotation ability from a big picture point of view and thus walked over to my tool rack and grabbed the first 3" Mini Polish on the shelf. That's all there is too it.

It's always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations for optimum results and I state that in my book. We're normally pressed for time and that's not a good excuse to not use the proper tool for the job but it was fast and convenient at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    This makes me wonder about the interchangeability of MF-recommended backing plates. It seems somewhat archaic to expect a requirement to use only a Meg's BP with Meg's MF pads, an OPT BP only with OPT MF pads, etc, etc.
    TL
    It is important to use hook material matched to loop material, but that's not to say that different backing plates don't use the same type of hook-n-loop material.

There are a limited number of options for different styles of hook-n-loop material. I cover these different types in my book on pages 52 to 54 but I don't know for sure if the hook-n-loop material being used currently on Meguiar's backing plates is also the exact type being used on Lake Country backing plates.

Perhaps a little research or the use of a magnifying glass would lead to a definitive answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1954 Ford F-100 - Extreme Makeover - Process and products used

Really excellent writeup Mike!

Awesome work to all of you!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I know some have reported delamination problems using an LC BP with Meg's MF DA pads. I have the recommended 5" BP because it came in the kit. I've used the GG3" BP with Meg's MF DA pads with no adverse results. Ummm... probably because "it was already attached to the tool."

Yeah, manufacturer's recommendations... sometimes they're the result of product testing and research and really result in a better mousetrap, other times I think they're designed to sell more products. Being the scofflaw I am I even used the original M105 with a DA when it was recommended for rotary use only! (gasp!)

TL <--- just a daring kind of guy

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! Very inspiring- from good to great.
    James
    2011 Mustang GT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast