autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Cyclo Polisher Buffer Hands-On Detailing Classes at Autogeek

Cyclo Polisher Buffer Hands-On Detailing Classes at Autogeek

1958 Plymouth Fury - Show Car Makeover with Cyclo & Pinnacle

Step 1 - Clean car
    As a personal best practice for myself and one I pass on to every person that attends our detailing classes is using a Waterless Wash to wash classics, muscle cars and street rods and of course I explain why in the class.

Using Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba to clean the 1958 Plymouth .

Step 2 - Inspect paint

When inspecting the paint we inspect for,

• Above surface bonded contaminants
    • Below surface defects like swirls and scratches

After removing the loose dirt it's time to inspect the paint by feeling it with our bare hands. The paint on this car was heavily contaminated.

Next we go over how and why to do the Baggie Test to inspect the paint.

The Hulk Technique
    I like to show the Hulk technique for kneading a clay bar into a clay patty.

Step 3 - Remove above surface bonded contaminants

Then we go over the proper techniques for rubbing detailing clay over paint.

Inspecting after claying - now the paint feels smooth like glass....

After demonstrating the correct techniques for using detailing clay it's time for the class to beg busy. The paint is contaminated so everyone gets their own piece of clay to clay the paint.

Whoa.... who's that with the video camera?

Mike Phillips

Re: Cyclo Polisher Buffer Hands-On Detailing Classes at Autogeek

Step 4 - Perform a Test Spot and dial in the compounding and polishing process

This is without a doubt the most important part of buffing out the paint on any car. It's important to do a little testing to see which combination of pads and products produce the best results.

Once a selection of pads and products are proven to work it's then just a matter of duplicate the process to the rest of the car.

Showing the class how to do a Test Spot using the Cyclo Polisher

Mike Phillips

Step 5 - Machine Compounding

After the paint is smooth and clean and we've performed our test spot it's hands-on training time where the class puts the Cyclo Polisher to work removing holograms out of the single stage paint.

Here's Chris and Rob working on the back of this HUGE car!

Here's Darrell working on the roof of the 1958 Plymouth Fury...

Here's Walter working on the passenger front fender...

Here's Rob compounding the passenger side door....

Mike Phillips

Step 6 - Machine Polishing
    In this picture the class had finished the compounding step and is now machine polishing using Cyclo green foam polishing pads and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Step 7 - Machine Waxing
    After machine compound and machine polishing the class machine applied a coat of Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax using the Cyclo polisher and the Cyclo white foam finishing/waxing pads.

Mike Phillips

How to correctly remove a Carnauba liquid wax

After we let the wax dry we went over the correct techniques for carefully removing a dried coat of wax.

Mike Phillips

Finished!

This car came out simply incredible! I'm confident the paint looks better today than it did back in 1958 when it was sitting on the show room floor of some Plymouth New Car Dealership somewhere....

Nice work class!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, do you use the Cyclo much? What benefits does the Cyclo have over the Rupes or Flex?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Mike, do you use the Cyclo much? What benefits does the Cyclo have over the Rupes or Flex?
    From my experience, it doesn't have the correction power of the FLEX but man is it smoooooth.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Mike Phillips

Mike, do you use the Cyclo much?
    No, not really. I do believe it's important to include it in both our car detailing classes for paint correction, polishing and waxing and we also show it for machine scrubbing carpets and upholstery.

I normally don't have the time to process ALL the pictures taken during our 3 day boot camp classes but we do use the Cyclo to clean upholstery and we do take pictures of this tool in action cleaning carpets and upholstery, I just can't squeeze in the time to make the pictures magically appear on the forum.

Pictures, done well are time consuming.

I also show the Cyclo in our boat detailing classes for cleaning non-skid by machine.

What benefits does the Cyclo have over the Rupes or Flex?
    For a real benefit there's an pneumatic version which can be a safe alternative for polishing boat on the water to avoid electrical shock.

As for performance benefit all three tools will do the same things,

1. Correct paint - compounding
    2. Polish paint
    3. Machine seal paint with a wax or sealant

What it really comes down to is personal preference. Some people like Coke and some people like Pepsi.

What I like to do in our detailing classes is show all the students all of the tools and how to correctly use them. Then give them something FUN to use them on like for this last class a 1958 Plymouth Fury.

When is the last time you saw a detailing class anywhere in the WORLD where the students get to work on as many cool cars as they get to work on here at the Autogeek classes?

Not only is it important to me for our classes to be intensely educational but also a lot of fun. It's a great combination for real learning for a lifetime.

Plus after going through our class and getting as much hands-on time as the students get they figure out which tools work best for them. You cannot possibly know if you like a tool if you have never used the tool.

In our classes you get to use the Cyclo polishers. You get the experience so now you have an opinion based upon real-world, hands-on experience.

The Cyclo does work great for mechanically decontaminating paint. I have a few articles on this topic,

How to use 4" Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on the Cyclo Polisher

4" Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

Related articles.....

How to remove overspray paint using the Cyclo Polisher

How to clean your Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post

From my experience, it doesn't have the correction power of the FLEX but man is it smoooooth.

It's very well balanced and this is what makes it very smooth, low vibration tool.

It doesn't have the power of the Flex 3401 because it's only semi-gear driven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast