autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pictures: Autogeek Detailing Class - January 2014

Mike thanks so much for a great, educational class. It was more intense than I anticipated and now feel I can take on my cars with confidence.

Now it's time to purchase some of the great products and tools that we used!

Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: Autogeek Detailing Class - January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by richard gwilt View Post

Mike thanks so much for a great, educational class. It was more intense than I anticipated and now feel I can take on my cars with confidence.

Now it's time to purchase some of the great products and tools that we used!

I hope it wasn't too intense... I try to offer a strong balance covering all the really popular tools.

I know the wetsanding by hand and machine and then learning to use the rotary buffer to remove sanding marks can be a real eye-opener as to how much work goes behind that type of process.

But most important, as I said in the class a couple of time and you hit the nail on the head, now you have the confidence to tackle your own cars and if you do run into any issues you know you can always call me, shoot me an e-mail or post your projects here to the forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Nick,

It was a great experience attending the boot camp.

I got a lot of hands on information, I truly appreciated the amount of work you guys put into it.

Thanks again,
    Joe Randazzo

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by joe18741 View Post
    Mike and Nick,

It was a great experience attending the boot camp.

I got a lot of hands on information, I truly appreciated the amount of work you guys put into it.

Thanks again,
    Joe Randazzo

Hi Joe,

It's always a pleasure and a LOT of fun putting on these classes. As you can probably tell, I have a lot of passion for the art and craft of detailing cars and just as much as I like detailing cars myself just as much I love to share with others the secrets to successful and professional car detailing.

Thank you for attending the class, thank you for posting your experience on our forum. I hope to see you active on the forum into the future.

If you ever have any questions please just give me or Nick a call...

Mike: 1-800-869-3011 x206

Nick: 1-800-869-3011 x215

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give my honest, unbiased review of January's class.

As a point of reference, here is a bit of my "detailing" background. I'm into late model performance cars, primarily German and Japanese. I currently own a 911 and Audi S4. My wife drives a Ford Explorer Sport, which to my surprise is a really cool car considering I've said on many occasions that I would never own an SUV. I got my detailing start like most of us going to the auto parts store buying whatever had the best looking label.

I discovered a Clay Bar around 2002 when a friend's house painter told me I needed to try one. Later that year, I met someone that had an S2000 like I did. They mentioned a company called "Gree-ots" Garage. After a bit of trying to find it, I stumbled up Griot's Garage and started getting his mail order catalog. Well, I was hooked. Over the course of three or four years, I had come to buy pretty much the entire Griot catalog. Now as we all know, there is no way one company can make the best product for every application, so after getting some hard water etching on my E92 M3 and not being able to get them out with Griot's polishes, I started reading the detailing sections of M3Post. That is where I stumbled upon Detailer's Domain, then Autopia, and ultimately Auto Geek. I then proceeded to spend probably double what I had spent at Griot's buying and trying countless different products to end up at a relatively pro level detailing process. I'm not doing this for money. For me detailing is a hobby that fits my zip-tie, closet organization, some call it freak personality.

I'm not exactly sure when I discovered this class was available, but it was several years ago. I've wanted to sign-up for the class for a few years now but didn't. I think I was reluctant for a few reasons.

First, as most with most males I have arrived at my current detailing/car washing process through trial and error, so I thought I already knew everything.

Second, I've lurked this forum on just a few occasions and for some reason I had developed my own personal opinion it was all about "in-house" products. I probably got that unsubstantiated opinion from other forums.

I finally decided to pull the trigger when I read Mike's post on what the class would entail. I recently bought a Rupes DA, and the class was going to include using those tools. So I was enrolled and fired up to come to the class!

When I arrived, we didn't waste 30 seconds. Before you could blink, at 8 AM sharp Mike had us all up instructing us on using a swirl remover polish using a Porter Cable DA. It was clear from the very start that Mike/Nick had done this countless times. There was no wasted time. There was a very defined plan of instruction to take us from start to finish over two days.

Over the last ten or so years, I have had hundreds of hours under my belt with a Griot's DA. I was much more interested in observing and picking up on the little details rather than practicing what I already knew. For me, the great part of the class is that, although small (ours was 16 people), there are many different skill levels present. We had some seasoned pros, experienced enthusiasts, aspiring detailing business owners, newbees and a few in between. There were people who were eager to jump in and do the work getting practice, which allowed me to float around taking it all in. I was able to pick other class mate's brains and learn as much as possible.

I gave you my background, so might surmise that I'm not into classic cars. I'm probably just the wrong age to truly appreciate them. I grew up in the 80s/90s. My dad built/owned a '66 GTO, so I have a minor appreciation for a few select muscle cars. I am a new car kind of guy. That being said, for this class, I completely agree and appreciate that using classic cars with their huge body panels is much better suited for this class environment. I never found myself wishing we had a newer car to work on. The concepts are the same.

Now onto the products. My fear in attending the class was this was going to be weekend long Pinnacle/Wolfgang sales pitch. I'm not saying Pinnacle stuff isn't good. I just didn't want to have it rammed down my throat. I was worried when I saw the table at the front of the class full of that stuff. So here is my take. Yes, we did use pretty much all Auto Geek stuff. The great part was that Mike would give a simple explanation of what we were using but would talk about it conceptually rather than explaining the specific product. It was clear to me that it would be more cost effective to use their own products rather than buying others. I was very pleased with the use of ample types of polishes, pads, and waxes/sealants/coatings. We covered it all.

One of my favorite things to do is research/shop new products, order and track the packages, and then open up and check them out when they arrive at my doorstep. I'm pretty sure I like the buying/researching more than actually using them, so being at a massive warehouse full of cool stuff was awesome. When you walk back to the bathroom, there are shelves stacked full of pretty much any polish, wax, etc. that you could fathom. I found myself staring at those shelves quite a few times. After using Pinnacle products for most of the weekend, I got to raid those shelves to play with whatever I wanted for about the last fours hours on Sunday. I was in heaven!

In pretty much all aspects, this class surpassed my expectations. I picked up many time saving and useful tips. For me, it was validation for the things I have been doing correctly. I would encourage anyone, no matter of skill level, that this will be a worthwhile experience. I just wish I had done this class years ago. It would have save me loads of time and thousands of dollars trying and failing. Do yourself a favor and sign up!

PS, the $100 Auto Geek credit you get for attending that class is a scam. I think it enticed me to spend $500 more.

Sincerely,
    Matt

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post

I'm going to give my honest, unbiased review of January's class.
    Wow!

Thanks for the honest and unbiased review Matt, you now I appreciate it.

I'm not exactly sure when I discovered this class was available, but it was several years ago. I've wanted to sign-up for the class for a few years now but didn't. I think I was reluctant for a few reasons.

First, as most with most males I have arrived at my current detailing/car washing process through trial and error, so I thought I already knew everything.

Second, I've lurked this forum on just a few occasions and for some reason I had developed my own personal opinion it was all about "in-house" products. I probably got that unsubstantiated opinion from other forums.

I finally decided to pull the trigger when I read Mike's post on what the class would entail. I recently bought a Rupes DA, and the class was going to include using those tools. So I was enrolled and fired up to come to the class!
    I'm really glad you made the choice. I have not been able to get to the 1970 El Camino "process" pictures that we used the Rupes polishers on but it is on the top of my list of pictures to process. I did process a few of the "after" pictures for another article, suffice to say the Rupes polishers with the help of everyone in the class came out awesome!

When I arrived, we didn't waste 30 seconds. Before you could blink, at 8 AM sharp Mike had us all up instructing us on using a swirl remover polish using a Porter Cable DA. It was clear from the very start that Mike/Nick had done this countless times. There was no wasted time. There was a very defined plan of instruction to take us from start to finish over two days.
    Thanks for adding that... I try really hard to make these classes hand-on from start to finish.

For me, the great part of the class is that, although small (ours was 16 people), there are many different skill levels present. We had some seasoned pros, experienced enthusiasts, aspiring detailing business owners, newbees and a few in between.
    As you told me during the class, for you personally to find out that you've been doing everything right is vindication to continue on as you have with even more confidence.

As for the wide spectrum of people that attend these classes, it makes it a real challenge on my part to cater to everyone but I like the challenge and it's like this in every class, that is people from all walks of life and all experience levels.

It's also a challenge to teach so many different tools, pads, products, techniques but again, I thrive on the challenge. I remember the days when all I had to do was show one brand and one tool and looking back that was a cake walk.

I gave you my background, so might surmise that I'm not into classic cars. I'm probably just the wrong age to truly appreciate them. I grew up in the 80s/90s. My dad built/owned a '66 GTO, so I have a minor appreciation for a few select muscle cars. I am a new car kind of guy.

That being said, for this class, I completely agree and appreciate that using classic cars with their huge body panels is much better suited for this class environment. I never found myself wishing we had a newer car to work on. The concepts are the same.
    Exactly.

Large vehicles provide plenty of room for everyone to get as much hands-on time as they want. I can only do so much as far as buffing time goes but one thing for sure, the opportunity is there, all a person has to do is jump in and get busy.

Modern cars tend to be smaller but we did have a full size SUV with the Ford Expedition and even a small car with the Acura. So a a good cross section of the market in general.

I appreciate your honesty with the above comments. Basically, I do the best I can to have fun cars here but also cool cars too. As far as I know, the classes here are the only classes of their type and pretty any other class use demo hoods or rental cars. Nothing wrong with that as I use demo hoods and rental cars too but I've never seen pictures from any other class showing people working on an all original, numbers matching, 100 point winning 1956 Nomad.

The class of January 2014 working on a 1956 Nomad...

Show Car Results....

Now onto the products. My fear in attending the class was this was going to be weekend long Pinnacle/Wolfgang sales pitch. I'm not saying Pinnacle stuff isn't good. I just didn't want to have it rammed down my throat. I was worried when I saw the table at the front of the class full of that stuff.

So here is my take. Yes, we did use pretty much all Auto Geek stuff. The great part was that Mike would give a simple explanation of what we were using but would talk about it conceptually rather than explaining the specific product.

I've never been a sales guy let alone a pushy sales guy, I show a variety of brands at out classes but make it clear that it's the technique for using the products I'm going to teach and people will gravitate towards the brands that they already know and trust or are most interested in.

When it comes to polishing paint on the type of cars I have at my classes I only use products I would trust for show car work, that means products that use the best in abrasive technology, after that it's all about the right tools, pads and techniques to make the magic happen.

One of my favorite things to do is research/shop new products, order and track the packages, and then open up and check them out when they arrive at my doorstep. I'm pretty sure I like the buying/researching more than actually using them, so being at a massive warehouse full of cool stuff was awesome. When you walk back to the bathroom, there are shelves stacked full of pretty much any polish, wax, etc. that you could fathom. I found myself staring at those shelves quite a few times. After using Pinnacle products for most of the weekend, I got to raid those shelves to play with whatever I wanted for about the last fours hours on Sunday. I was in heaven!
    The 1965 Ford Truck worked out really well as a free-for-all project where everyone could get more time with any tool, pad or product they were most interested in. Moving into the future I'm going to try to make this a regular feature at these classes.

After the class on Sunday the Ford was kind of hit or miss as far as being "done" but we finished it out the following Thursday.

In pretty much all aspects, this class surpassed my expectations.

I picked up many time saving and useful tips. For me, it was validation for the things I have been doing correctly. I would encourage anyone, no matter of skill level, that this will be a worthwhile experience.

I just wish I had done this class years ago. It would have save me loads of time and thousands of dollars trying and failing. Do yourself a favor and sign up!
    And the above is what I like people on the outside looking in get to hear or read from people that have been through the class. Thank you.

PS, the $100 Auto Geek credit you get for attending that class is a scam. I think it enticed me to spend $500 more.

Sincerely,
    Matt
    Don't blame me, that's out of my department...

Thank you so much for attending this first class of the year and for taking the time to join the forum and share your experience. As I said at the start of the class on Saturday morning, the same thing I've been saying at all my classes for years now and that is,

I'm going to pour my heart and soul into the class, (that's the people), I'm going to give everyone 100% and basically do a brain dump. All I ask for and hope for is for each person to do like Matt and join the forum and post their experience.

Thank you Matt and everyone so far that has done this...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Mike! I'll be sure to start becoming more active on the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp was an eye opening experience. As more of a hobbyist detailer, working on my own cars, along with family and friends cars for the past several years, a long time AG customer & AG fan, I attended the class wanting to get more information on something I only thought of as a hobby, and came out with a ton of knowledge about products and how to "correctly" pair those products, for the tasks at hand. Mike clearly stated that he is not an "expert", but my opinion of Mike Phillips is that he is a top notch master detailer & a very gifted instructor within his field of expertise.

Mike and Nick both, are especially attentive to everyone in the class, willing to go above and beyond to answer your questions and to instill self confidence in using any product & machine. I was truly impressed with the time and care that went into each project and Mike and Nick's willingness & accessibility to allow each of us to pick their brains about so many aspects of detailing, during the class and even into the future. I feel very confident that I can contact Mike or Nick directly, with any questions and they will do their best to provide a solution.

If you are wanting to start a detailing business, already own a detailing business or you are just a "driveway beamer" (hobbyist detailer), this class will provide you with an in depth analysis of the market, how to manage your time wisely and educate you on just about everything you will need to know about detailing.

to Mike, Nick, Yancy and Autogeek for a fun and informative weekend. So, if you have been hesitant about pulling the trigger on this class, I recommend clicking "add to cart", you won't regret it.

~Jason~

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ShineFind.com View Post

Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp was an eye opening experience. As more of a hobbyist detailer, working on my own cars, along with family and friends cars for the past several years, a long time AG customer & AG fan, I attended the class wanting to get more information on something I only thought of as a hobby, and came out with a ton of knowledge about products and how to "correctly" pair those products, for the tasks at hand. Mike clearly stated that he is not an "expert", but my opinion of Mike Phillips is that he is a top notch master detailer & a very gifted instructor within his field of expertise.
    You're too nice but thank you for the compliment.

I never feel comfortable when someone uses the word expert in referring to me as I'm always learning. I consider myself a perpetual student.

Mike and Nick both, are especially attentive to everyone in the class, willing to go above and beyond to answer your questions and to instill self confidence in using any product & machine. I was truly impressed with the time and care that went into each project and Mike and Nick's willingness & accessibility to allow each of us to pick their brains about so many aspects of detailing, during the class and even into the future. I feel very confident that I can contact Mike or Nick directly, with any questions and they will do their best to provide a solution.
    And we covered a LOT of projects in two days.

I apologize that I have not gotten up more pictures from the class it's just my schedule is so dang busy every day. For example, Nick and I just returned from shooting 2 brand new episodes for "Ship Shape TV" and now I'm playing catch-up on work I needed to do this morning.

BUT... I will get to them, especially the pictures of everyone,

• Using the Rupes System on the El Camino
    • Using the Cyclo Polishers on the 1947 Ford
    • Machine wetsanding and then using rotary buffers
    • Machine polishing the 1956 Nomad
    • Learning one-step production detailing on the Acura

If you are wanting to start a detailing business, already own a detailing business or you are just a "driveway beamer" (hobbyist detailer), this class will provide you with an in depth analysis of the market, how to manage your time wisely and educate you on just about everything you will need to know about detailing.

To Mike, Nick, Yancy and Autogeek for a fun and informative weekend.

So, if you have been hesitant about pulling the trigger on this class, I recommend clicking "add to cart", you won't regret it.

~Jason~

Thank you Jason, you know I appreciate your taking the time to share the above in this thread...

Mike Phillips

to Mike, Nick, Yancy and Autogeek for a fun and informative weekend.

~Jason~

Just a note about Yancy, while he wasn't at the classes he did join us at the "Meet & Greet" down at the Marriot for some good food, cold drinks and car talk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast