autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C unit setup

Post Thanks / Like

A/C unit setup

Well here we go. A few weeks ago I posted a thread about getting a portable a/c unit on loan to try out and I loved it. Found a 14,000 BTU unit on ebay and it was from a company in Troy, MI (close to me). I bought it for $225 (great deal!) and bought some other stuff to make it work. I bought a sliding trap door for the inside which I can close off season. The outside of the garage has a dryer vent on it. My dad had a fellow make me a tapered, flanged sleeve for inside the trap door to easily get the exhaust hose on and off. I absolutely love this setup. It rocks big time..check out the pics:

Post Thanks / Like
    Richy, looks like you have it set up just in time for winter. It's time to start thinking about a heater. You probably need it in another month up there. It already looks like you have some autum oak leafs in your garage. I'm sure the AC will be nice next summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have been thinking about a set up like yours. How big is your garage? ( ft X ft )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword View Post
    Richy, looks like you have it set up just in time for winter. It's time to start thinking about a heater. You probably need it in another month up there. It already looks like you have some autum oak leafs in your garage. I'm sure the AC will be nice next summer.
    Gary..you're right about the timing, but that's why I got such a good deal on the unit. I'm not sure yet what I'll do for heat. It's not as big an issue, but if I continue with detail jobs over the winter (not sure about the demand for that) then I'll seat about heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBenz View Post
    I also have been thinking about a set up like yours. How big is your garage? ( ft X ft )
    I don't know, but it's a 2.5 car capacity. It's a decent size. The 14,000 BTU is more than adequate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 2 1/2 garage. What is interesting is I have seen combo window units...A/C and heat...One last question...my garage is not insulated is your garage insulated?
    Thanks
    Last edited by MrBenz; 09-29-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Gary..you're right about the timing, but that's why I got such a good deal on the unit. I'm not sure yet what I'll do for heat. It's not as big an issue, but if I continue with detail jobs over the winter (not sure about the demand for that) then I'll seat about heat.

Richy, When I lived in Michigan I always had a heater in the garage just so I could detail my own cars. They have some really nice propane heaters these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Found a 14,000 BTU unit on ebay and it was from a company in Troy, MI (close to me). I bought it for $225 (great deal!) and bought some other stuff to make it work.
    That is a great deal. Congrats! What's the company's name? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet! Looks like a great setup.
    They call me "Blue"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking set up! Before i installed my unit heater in my garage, i used a propane spot heater or "sun flower" type heater, it clamped right on the twenty pound propane tank, and just went out an hour or so before i wanted to work in my garage and it would get it up to a nice working temp, but necessarily good detailing temp, i currently use my old heater on job sites, working on old homes without heat here in Minneapolis, MN all winter and stay comfortable, this type of heater heats the objects in the room, tools, the car etc just a point to keep in mind this heater would burn the paint off your car if it is too close, keep it at least five feet away from any thing combustible.

I am a heating and a/c contractor and if i can help in anyway let me know.

I just want to say thank you all for helping me learn and grow in the auto detailing area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast