autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Night driving in the rain

Does anyone here find driving in the rain at night time difficult to do, specifically for the following reasons:

1. Black asphalt roads that turn into a mirror when wet, reflecting every light source in a million directions.

2. Oncoming traffic on the left, typically drivers with high beams or lifted trucks that don't have adjusted low beams, washing out your night vision.

3. Constant mist kicked up from cars in front

Ultimately the safe way out is to reduce speed, but even at speeds considerably lower than the prevailing traffic flow, the experience can be nerve-wracking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Night driving in the rain

yeah, i know exactly what you mean. but, you know what i've found to really help?

great forward lighting. and because a lot of OE headlamps and fog lamps aren't that great, especially older ones, adding auxiliary lighting from a reputable company like Hella can make a huge difference. but at the minimum, upgrading the bulbs can help a lot if you have halogen bulbs in your housings. and then there are tricks you can do like adding a relayed harness to give your bulbs actual full power, or, allow you to run higher wattage without issues, etc. Susquehanna Motorsports sells a bunch of great harnesses like this and can modify whatever to make them work for your car. if you have HIDs from the factory, then there isn't much you can do other than add something like the +30 HID bulbs that Hella sells. but, adding great aux fogs can make life so much easier even with HID headlamps.

this is because your lights will overcome all of the random ambient light things you are describing, especially the wet roads and mist. what your good lighting WON'T fix is oncoming traffic having maladjusted or illegal lighting, such as retrofit plug & play HID kits - those things are criminal and even though they are outlawed, people still abuse them.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Maui Jim makes a good pair of glasses for night driving. Reduces glare quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would dim street lights in the rain. Every time use pass under one it's just a giant glare on your windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried a rain repellant or windshield coating? I use either aquapell or stoners invisible glass with rain repellant and it makes a huge difference being able to see in the rain especially at night. I cant drive a vehicle with out it!
    2016 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD PACKAGE

Post Thanks / Like

Having a tinted windshield, a coated windshield, and a rainx based windshield wash spray helps.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

A good glass coating.
    Properly adjusted headlights.
    A good set of wipers.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRDTACO View Post
    Have you tried a rain repellant or windshield coating? I use either aquapell or stoners invisible glass with rain repellant and it makes a huge difference being able to see in the rain especially at night. I cant drive a vehicle with out it!

I generally keep my windshields clear enough that water beads anyway, but that isn't really the issue.

I think I grew up in a city where most roads were concrete, which doesn't reflect as much when wet. Of course now I live in an area where everything gets a fresh coat of asphalt in the spring so you're always driving on smooth blacktop (which is nice, when dry!).

And then as others pointed out, mis-aimed headlights or overly bright headlights in the oncoming lane basically ruin your night vision, making it extra difficult to drive when conditions are already unfavorable.

Post Thanks / Like

Something a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of today's halogen bulbs have a blue coating on them to make the light appear whiter. It's very effective, but that whiter light makes it more difficult to see in precip and when roads are wet. If you've got halogens, best to use an uncoated bulb in those conditions. Philips +60 VisionPlus and +100 ExtremeVision are good bulbs. I actually prefer the +60, as the entire bulb is uncoated. The +100 has a blue tip on the low beam (but not nearly as much coating as the Sylvanias being sold at big box stores). Usually pretty decent prices on the Philips from a reputable online seller.

Any brighter/whiter bulb will burn out significantly faster than OEM. If longevity is a concern, stick with OEM or uncoated long life bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by truzoom View Post
    Does anyone here find driving in the rain at night time difficult to do, specifically for the following reasons:
    1. Black asphalt roads that turn into a mirror when wet, reflecting every light source in a million directions.
    And to think that the people most responsible for
    this inept design are often referred to as engineers!!

2. Oncoming traffic on the left, typically drivers with high beams or lifted trucks that don't have adjusted low beams, washing out your night vision.
    They need to be shot right between the ears!

3. Constant mist kicked up from cars in front
    More of an annoyance.

Ultimately the safe way out is to reduce speed...
    Slowing down during tempestuous weather,
    is most definitely a prudent practice.

Come to think of it:
    Slowing down would also be advisable
    during clement weather, as well.

I generally keep my windshields clear enough that water beads anyway, but that isn't really the issue.

I think I grew up in a city where most roads were concrete, which doesn't reflect as much when wet. Of course now I live in an area where everything gets a fresh coat of asphalt in the spring so you're always driving on smooth blacktop (which is nice, when dry!).

And then as others pointed out, mis-aimed headlights or overly bright headlights in the oncoming lane basically ruin your night vision, making it extra difficult to drive when conditions are already unfavorable.
    So...
    In order to rectify your above listed
    unfavorable driving conditions...

Would you please explain what, exactly, you
    want the AGO forum members to do? TIA.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast