autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

LCD TV's ---- Under 40 Inches

I am looking to replace a bedroom tv (27 inches) with a newer flat screen unit. Likely around 32-37 inches as applicable. Dont tell you love Sony cause they make the PS3, but tell me some interesting facts about which brands to look at. (Samsung, Sony, Sharp are currently fav's)

I was told Sharp was the godfather of LCD or was it plasma, tell me the facts ! I was also told only two manufacturers actually make the displays. Again tell me the facts. 720p versus 1080p for a smaller screen and non-digital cable currently. (it will have PS3/Blu-ray machine attached) I figure around 1000.00 as wife watches tv in bedroom more than I do.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, I plan on buying the Samsung 42' 1080p with in the year. Every tv I have looked at it seemss that the samsung had the better picture. You can get the 720p 32-37 inche for good price. The 1080p 42' is I think around 1'300$
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought a couple of months ago the Samsung 71" 1080P DLP for the living room and I love it... going to buy a smaller one for the bedroom. Been looking at the Samsung DLP 42" or even the 37" LCD for the bedroom, done a lot of research online and it appears Samsung has the best ratings. Only other one I have read a lot of good things about is the Sharp 37" Aquos LCD. For the bedroom I do not think HD is that important, since I do not watch much in there ( I really hate paying all the money for a TV for the bedroom, but I like to keep CNN on in there when home- don't ask why I don't know I just do!)But in my opinion both are great choices, it took me several months to pick the living room tv, so I can feel your pain on trying to decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Samsung makes great tvs Scott. I have the 61" 1080p DLP. At the size that you are considering, 720p/1080i/1080p shouldn't have a noticeable difference. You do want to make sure that the inputs handle 1080p though for the PS3. You could downscale it, but why? Maximize the resolution! The Samsung 1080p sets are native 1080p, so they will upconvert everything to 1080p. AVSforum has a lot of info if you have the time. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I've heard. Top plasma's= Panasonic; top LCD's=Sharp/Samsung. I've had both. Plasma runs very hot and uses an extraordinary amount of electricity. I currently have a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD, 1080p and get a lot of compliments on the picture. My buddy just got a Sharp Aquos LCD 40 something inch. He found the best price at Sears so there's a place to look. I think that you can definetly tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Something to weigh against the price.
    My plasma kept going to a black screen when it got hot so I took it back to Costco and got the LCD.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told at several stores that for plasma that pioneer was the best and for lcds that sharp was the best. I know for a fact you cant go by picture quality that you see in any stores. All of the displays have the factory setting to just look bright. I purchased a 60 in pro-1540 pioneer plasma last year for christmas and at the time they only made a 50 in 1080p plasma. There is some soort of rule to actually see the diff from 1080p and 720p or 1080i. For 50 in you have to sit 3 to 4 feet to actually see the extra detail. Any further and yo won't notice anything. For 60 inches I believe its 7 to 10 feet. Since I have mine on the wall I just went for the bigger screen. Now there are more 1080p plasmas then ever and the cost about the same as what I pauid for the 60 in. If you do get the 1080p lcd or plasma make sure you get a blu-ray player also. To me its the picture quality is better than the movies. I personnaly like plasmas over lcds for picture quality. I know when sopping for lcds you have to look at their response time. The higer the number you will notice flickering in the picture especially when watching sports or action movies. I think sharp has the fastest time at 4 ms. Hope this helps a little

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have an Samsung, best player money can buy,
    OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI

Post Thanks / Like
    i got a panasonic 42" for like $1,100 a few months back 1080p HD. I couldn't be happier with it. And I like it WAYYY better then the toshiba my bro got for almost double the price

Post Thanks / Like
    friend of mine has a sharp aquos in the 30-40" inch range, maybe 37 if I remember correctly. Looks awesome, just as good if not better then any other LCD i have ever seen, except maybe the Sony XBR LCDs. For the price of the aquos TVs, to me they seem like a bargain.

Another friend has a 46" bravia that I watch alot, and HD stuff looks great on that too. I would not buy one unless it was 1080p.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a 32" Samsung Flat screen LCD 780p and have nothing but great thing to say. It takes some time to tweak the picture to make it look great and when you do OH MAN. Discovery HD on the tv's brightest setting is mind blowing (colors are very vibrant/alive). If your wife plans on watching movies on dvd's that are non HD & older dvd's (pre 2001 I think) you will need to purchase a dvd upconverter to play it in 780p. It will make the picture look 100x better then with out. A standard dvd player made the picture look very grainy and dull except when the screen was set at 4:1 which is elongated and thin (not very enjoyable to watch imo). DO NOT fall for buying the $$$$ HDMI wire, HDMI is a digital signal (1's and 0's) so having a good wire will give you the same sound/picture a premium 100$+ cable will. Here what I mean Beware the HDMI Cable scam. « Techno babble from an IT guy named Harry I picked up the Monoprice.com HDMI premium cable ($15.44 Only for $11.58 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI to HDMI CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ net jacket- 6ft (Gold Plated) | High-Quality 24AWG HDMI Male to Male Cables) to compare it to the $100 Monster Cable I purchased a week before the Monoprice cable was identical and it was thicker . I can take close up's of both if you want?
    EDIT mt thread with pic and specs on the TV Exactly why I don't walk into Best Buy often
    Last edited by wytstang; 09-25-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast