autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

beater car suggestions?

Me and my brother want to learn to drive stick and we were thinking of going halves on a cheap beater we can learn on and then get rid of once we got it and are bored of the car.

Was thinking of trying to stay around 1-1.5k. I am of course limited to what I can find locally, but do you guys have any ideas of what would be a good choice if I can find it..? I really don't care what it is. So far we found a 1992 tercel with 180k. He wants 1k for it. Looks relatively clean for what it is.

Toyota tercel

Any other thoughts of what we ought to look for?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: beater car suggestions?

even for $1000 that's too beat up. keep looking and good luck...

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't take long to learn. How about renting.
    Payed a driving school to teach ex wife..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    Doesn't take long to learn. How about renting.
    Payed a driving school to teach ex wife..

Post Thanks / Like

It really does not matter what you spend as long as you can turn around and sell it for what you have in it or more.
    That being said unfortunately most people don't want stick shift cars. If you want to buy/drive/detail and resell I recommend a Wrangler. You might spend 5 to 7 grand, but you won't lose money when you go to sell, and if it's a 6cly stick it's desirable to most Jeep enthusiasts.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind a car that old is going have a rough clutch to learn on and may be on its way out if it still the original. You guys could easly burn it out in an afternoon.

My favorite part of the ad "paint 80% good" - um no, I'd think so. Little did the seller know we'd be looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I clicked on this thread, my suggestion would have been Tercel/Corolla. $1000 is a good price. Cheap to fix, easy to work on, and should be a non interference motor. Both of our kids had a Corolla. My sons girlfriend just got one for $1500, no rust. Heat and A/C work great.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are on the right track. Something small and reliable. Tercel, Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic. Or alternately, a Ford F150 or Bronco.

Don't worry too much about the condition of the car. But, as Angus said, pay close attention to the clutch. First of all, learning on a good clutch is a LOT easier. Also, If you burn that out on a car that cheap, all your investment will be gone. You'll only be able to sell it for parts. And it can be burnt out in a week or two by stick shift newbies if it's already in bad condition.

The way you check a clutch is that it should have a fairly distinct spot in the pedal travel where it engages quickly. If you know anything about guns, it's the equivalent of a good trigger that 'breaks like glass' without any trigger creep. A worn clutch will engage somewhat gradually or engage when the pedal is almost all the way out. I assume you'll have someone who knows how to drive stick check that out before you buy.

Btw, a clutch replacement typically costs $800-1500.

I think, if you shop around, you're going to see that $1000 either gets you something that looks terrible but runs ok, or something that looks ok but has a lot of issues. If you can scrape together $3000 you'll have better options. But you'll still need to be careful. As MPBGT said, if you're not keeping it long and don't destroy the clutch, you should be able to get your money back out of it. Hell, if you detail it, you might make a tidy profit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys.

1-1.5k really is my max, as I don't make all that much money as I work part time and go to school. Idea is to learn on something cheap, then sell it and save up for a new used car down the line. I wouldn't have any plans on keeping it for more than a few months Id imagine, so I really don't see a point going beyond that as my Altima is and will remain my dd.

As for renting vs buying.. I thought of that that, but I imagine it would be more practical to own it, so I could kind get used to it? Maybe take it out a few days a week until I am confident I got it down then try and resell.

I do have a friend who drives a stick currently for the last few years, idea was to bring him along to test drive and tell me if anything seems off.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more I just found. The Nova is the cheapest and cleanest looking of the bunch so far.

1993 Toyota Corolla Manual
    88 chevy nova,runs good
    1999 Saturn (PRICED TO SELL)
    1991 Honda Civic
    Jacob

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast