autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AG still setting off anti-virus alerts!

randomly my anti-virus program (avast!) will warn me about AG. this happens without any real pattern and this site is the only one that does it. it's been happening for a while...it was fixed when it got really bad...then it started again. the problem is, once it does it, that thread will not work or it won't let me reply.

for instance, because of the alert, now i can't reply to this thread - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...or-sill-2.html

what's the story? i'm going to see if i can report a false positive the next time to see if that helps. but, what makes it happen? this is the only vbulletin forum, or any forum, for that matter, where this happens for me.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AG still setting off anti-virus alerts!

does it give you the name of the the alert, or what it is? I will do a search and see if I can find anything. Sometimes there could be hidden scripts inside images or links that go to a website that has been flagged. Do you remember any of the other post that gave you a warning.

Check out the AutoGeek Page on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

its very odd i just check and we are currently in the green with avg-
    http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/website...geekonline.net

let me know if you find another thread.

Check out the AutoGeek Page on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    randomly my anti-virus program (avast!) will warn me about AG. this happens without any real pattern and this site is the only one that does it. it's been happening for a while...it was fixed when it got really bad...then it started again. the problem is, once it does it, that thread will not work or it won't let me reply.

for instance, because of the alert, now i can't reply to this thread - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...or-sill-2.html

what's the story? i'm going to see if i can report a false positive the next time to see if that helps. but, what makes it happen? this is the only vbulletin forum, or any forum, for that matter, where this happens for me.
    This happened right around the Autopia site takeover. You will need to go into avast and disable web scanning or add "Autogeek" URL into the exclusion list.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks. i'll do that next. i'm not totally comfortable having a site excluded just in case there is a real threat but at least i'll be able to use the forum without issue!

here is what it says when it happens -

EDIT: welp, AG image attachment size limits strike again. hold on...let me go host it somewhere else :sheesh:

here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AG still setting off anti-virus alerts!-ag-av-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

in addition to the above, here is another thread that did it:

Improve AutoGeekOnline PHONE APP - Suggestion

i'm not going to add AG to my exclusions list. i hate to do that but i have no choice, haha.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting the same error, here's a screen shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AG still setting off anti-virus alerts!-autogeek-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Recently I've seen a number of old thread brought back to life. Nothing wrong with this in my book because in most cases the information contained is just as relevant today as when the thread was created.

That said,

I've noticed a bunch of old threads and even new threads replied to by new members and the posts are more or less gibberish. At least the single sentence doesn't really align with the conversation taking place in the thread.

So I hit the Quote reply so I can then go to Editor Mode and take a peak at their code and I've been noticing a common denominator and that is the new person making the post has included a picture file that ends in .png

But the picture doesn't show up?

I recently remarked about this new trend in a thread that was just moved to the Moderators forum for these reasons.

However, I documented my reply by taking a screen shot to show you instead of copying and pasting my reply.

Here's the screenshot....

Maybe someone with a lot of spam background can shed some light?

Post Thanks / Like

Darn you Lupemartin!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Recently I've seen a number of old thread brought back to life. Nothing wrong with this in my book because in most cases the information contained is just as relevant today as when the thread was created.

That said,

I've noticed a bunch of old threads and even new threads replied to by new members and the posts are more or less gibberish. At least the single sentence doesn't really align with the conversation taking place in the thread.

So I hit the Quote reply so I can then go to Editor Mode and take a peak at their code and I've been noticing a common denominator and that is the new person making the post has included a picture file that ends in .png

But the picture doesn't show up?

I recently remarked about this new trend in a thread that was just moved to the Moderators forum for these reasons.

However, I documented my reply by taking a screen shot to show you instead of copying and pasting my reply.

Here's the screenshot....

Maybe someone with a lot of spam background can shed some light?

Okay so I know I'm new here but I've been a lurker for a while and just decided to sign up.

This is been intriguing me so I did some research tonight and it seems that code can be embedded into a .png file that when saved onto a server can spread a virus.

Here's an article I found

PNG Image Metadata Found Leveraging iFrame Injections | Threatpost | The first stop for security news

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast