autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobs Mustang Restoration Update

Bobs Mustang Restoration Update

just a little update on Bobs mustang thats getting a makeover like no other .. here are some pics of the progress ..
    the only thing that we didnt change out is the floor because it was done a few years back but besides that the mustang has all new sheetmetal in and out ...
    So without further delay ..here it is!!!

i always knew id never reach perfection and if i ever did then i wasn't trying hard enough...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bobs Mustang Restoration Update

Looking good Marius.We tried to polish the car in the garage but we all pretty much knew the paint was ...well not coming back to the degree that a family heirloom deserves. Hopefully you will do the cut and buff and we can finish it after it out gasses.I`m sure Bob(Max) is going to be happy.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Bobs Mustang Restoration Update

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    Looking good Marius.We tried to polish the car in the garage but we all pretty much knew the paint was ...well not coming back to the degree that a family heirloom deserves. Hopefully you will do the cut and buff and we can finish it after it out gasses.I`m sure Bob(Max) is going to be happy.
    You can most definitely count on me painting and doing the cut and buff on this ride ..thou buy the time its makes its way back home itll be all gassed out and ill make her look gorgeous before its loaded on the truck..but my experience with fresh paintjobs tells me that the clear coat will dance for at least 6 to 8 months so itll definitely need a maintenance buff after that .
    I can only hope that Bob will be happy with the results ..besides itll be the straightest mustang with perfect gaps in all of Florida ..A very talented young man by the name of Cris Pas is building this car and hes the best bodyman I know hands down .. hes an artist when it comes to fitting and shaping body panels... a true genius.
    i always knew id never reach perfection and if i ever did then i wasn't trying hard enough...

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to the build.I have built several cars in my past and my dream car that I started to build 20+ years ago sits idle in my garage due to my illness.I`m certain Bob(Max) is going to love the Stang.I guess he and Mike will decide on the LSP and hopefully we get to apply it in the AGG.Some (Me and perhaps Bob are waiting for the results) Can you give us a play by play on the build in terms of substrate for blasting, epoxy, primer, sealer and paint products.(Unless it`s a secrete) Thanks Buddy and look forward to the finished car and will it be red.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    Look forward to the build.I have built several cars in my past and my dream car that I started to build 20+ years ago sits idle in my garage due to my illness.I`m certain Bob(Max) is going to love the Stang.I guess he and Mike will decide on the LSP and hopefully we get to apply it in the AGG.Some (Me and perhaps Bob are waiting for the results) Can you give us a play by play on the build in terms of substrate for blasting, epoxy, primer, sealer and paint products.(Unless it`s a secrete) Thanks Buddy and look forward to the finished car and will it be red.
    im sorry to hear that you are ill , my prayers are with you ..
    as for the car we didn't blast that much really just the piece where the top folds down into ( a section right behind where the rear vinyl top touches the panel ) ..its right underneath. i don't have a picture of so its hard to explain ..as far as the rest goes its all new sheet metal.. the old stuff got ripped out and we welded in all new pieces including the engine bay and what you see in the picture above ALL NEW BABY!! Then we fitted the doors and fenders etc.. and welded the quarters in .. Then Cris shaved and formed all the gaps to look even and straight ..After that everything got blocked and filed straight because even that the panels are new there not perfect , the sheet metal is stamped from an original dye from Ford but its an aftermarket company .. After that we applied a poly coating to all the sheet metal for anti corrosion and block the whole car..Once all that is finished we then applied a 2 part ultra high build sprayable filler ( its like bondo but its sprayed out of a gun 8 mils. per coat we applied 3 coats) ...then we block that down with 180 grit sandpaper and apply 4 to 5 coats of high build primer and block that down ..
    Now we are at present time and about to apply another 3 coats of high build primer and prep it for paint..And yes its going red what exactly i have not a clue but im sure it'll be a Ford red that's correct for the car and year ..Standox is the paint line i spray ...
    I think that covers it ...more details as we move forward..

Mike Phillips

Hi Marius,

Thank you for sharing the pictures showing the both the progress and status of this Mustang Build. Since Bob does not get a chance much to get on the forum, I showed him this thread when he came into my office this morning and we’re both completely blown away by the transformation!

We’re also excited for the day when Jenny, (that’s the name of the Mustang), returns to Autogeek to take her place next to Harvey, Bob’s restored 1964 Ford Falcon Futura that belonged to his dad.

The craftsmanship going into this Mustang build by yourself, Chris and the rest of the team is exactly what Bob was hoping for and a demonstration of the perfect partnership between Wayne Carini’s F40 Motorsports and Bob McKee’s Palm Beach Motoring Group.

Having a Carini built Mustang here at Autogeek for all our future car events like Autogeek’s Cars & Coffee and Detail Fest will not only show case the talent Wayne and his team bring to the car restoration world but also share the dedication and passion Bob and his team bring to the car appearance industry.

I have a collection of threads that document the journey Jenny has taken including when she first arrived and was unloaded from the shipping truck, to the extreme makeover we performed just for the fun of it and even when she was loaded back into a car hauler for her trip to F40 Motorsports for the restoration.

I’m personally looking forward to when this Mustang returns to Autogeek and then at some point in the future we’ll schedule a date to do the final polish to perfect and seal the paint and maybe that will include yourself and even Wayne to join us for this project.

Keep up the good work and thank you for taking such great pictures and sharing them on our forum. It’s truly exciting to watch this Mustang as it progresses the build and restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

Marius, Do you like the way the primer sticks to the E-coating on the new sheet metal after its scuffed? I read somewhere that black is E-coated and grey is weld through primer on aftermarket panels.I`m right there with you on aftermarket stuff but on the show it seems he uses the original parts during restoration as there are`nt many options in terms of availability.I have a Buddy down here with a machine shop that reproduces unavailable parts for Ferrari`s. He showed me some brake and rear end parts he made to the tune of 30 G`S for a local Ferrari collector. WOO-HOOO.

Post Thanks / Like

Im very.glad to.hear that Bob is blown away by then progress and I think that when he finally gets the car back and gazes upon it he will cry a little ..lol ... We will do everything in our power to make sure that this car (if its to be judged ) will get 100 pts.
    Im personally going to make sure that everything is flawless ..
    And thank you for the complements.. EVERYONE here thanks you all for them..
    Things are moving along on Jenny and we are getting closer to getting her splashed with some color and of course I'll have pics so stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like

Marius...spray the paint on and not splash it on.LOL.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast