autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on Window Tint?

On several prior cars I've had the windows tinted to 35%. Somewhat for looks and somewhat for UV protection. On my newest car, a 2012 White Jetta SEL, I am still undecided. I have at times, had opinions that tint looks "ghetto" or unclassy. The car itself, while not a high end car, has a very classy look to it.

So..thoughts on tint? Any input is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on Window Tint?

Living in Los Angeles, I personally have tinted every car I have. The sun get cant crazy sometimes. IMO tint is nice to have, and does add looks. I don't know why some would consider tint "unclassy", I mean I have seen Bentley's with tint. I would never not tint the windows on my car.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think tint adds to the look of the car. My mom went without tint on her car for over a year and I finally got it done for her. It's really great in the Texas heat to keep the car from getting so hot.

If you are are on the fence look for a lighter tint. I had my mom's car done in Wincos film and all of their films block the same amount regardless of the darkness. It was expensive but it's a huge difference. It really was worth the extra especially since it blocks out so much UV rays

Post Thanks / Like

Window tint is very common in hotter climates. You'll get as many opinions on the look of tint as you will on colors of cars.

The 35% refers to the darkness (they call it the VLT for visibile light transmission) and 35% is a good middle of the road level that still allows pretty good visibility at night. 20% would be darker, 50% would be lighter.

What you pay a premium for is the solar heat rejection (for non-metalized tints). UV rejection is a different property of tint and pretty much any tint these days blocks 99% or more of UV so that's not something you pay a premium for.

The tints themselves can have a slight hue to them (for example bluish or greenish) so you want to keep that in mind as you're looking at different brands, since the hue might clash a bit with the color of your car.

There are so many good films these days that it really comes down to finding a skilled installer (especially if you have a car that is difficult to tint). Personally I prefer physical shops with enclosed garage areas to do the installation (as opposed to mobile installers).

You'll also want to look up the window tint laws for your state.

tintdude.com is a good website for tint info on different lines of tint and difficulty of various cars.

Post Thanks / Like

This is 35% - I will always tint my car..

Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't think tint looks ghetto or unclassy at all.
    Limousines & some of the most prestigious cars are normally tinted, although that's quite often for privacy reasons.
    I also think the dark black would look good against your white paint...

Get my cars tinted for looks, heat reduction, UV protection & also to keep prying eyes out.

The only time I wouldn't tint would be on a concours style show car where the interior is immaculate & designed to be on display.
    Even then there are clear(ish) tints available that provide UV protection without changing looks...

Post Thanks / Like

15% all around .... gotta tint in South Florida, just one summer will teach you why.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Overly dark tint, especially on an econo-box or beater screams ghetto. But a nice medium tint like 35% or lighter looks great on almost anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    15% all around .... gotta tint in South Florida, just one summer will teach you why.
    What's the legal limit in Florida? 15% seems a little light.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely tint...it only looks ghetto when it's either that pink color tint...or the mirror tint and half of it's peeling. lol

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast