autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Scrape, Terry Cook, Chip Foose, Christoper Titus and the Titanic

Scrape, Terry Cook, Chip Foose, Christoper Titus and the Titanic

I went to the Gold Coast Corvette Club - First Annual Car Show
    over the Labor Day Weekend and took over 200 photos of the cool cars at this show, most of them can be seen by clicking the above link.

I have an affection for Lincoln Zephyrs ala Terry Cook's style so I was pretty excited to see Franklin Feiler's example. As a part of adding the pictures I took of his car to the above thread I also recounted my experience with Terry Cook and the car that started all the popularity of the Lincoln Zephyr body styling in the custom car world.

Meeting and working with Terry Cook came from my relationship with Bill Stuart, owner of the Absorber synthetic chamois but my relationship with Bill Stuart goes back to when I first started working with Meguiar's in 1988 as a Trainer in the Oregon, Washington and Idaho territory.

Through Terry I met Chip Foose and Christopher Titus, both of who are exceptionally fun car guys to call friends. The weekend I flew down to Monterey to sand and buff the Titanic and prep Scrape for the Monterey Auction was a weekend I'll never forget as I made so many friend that weekend, worked on a lot of really cool cars and even was able to use the Titanic as my daily driver for the entire weekend after I sanded and buffed the paint.

There's enough pictures and stories to go with the post I made in the Gold Coast Corvette Club thread that I'm including it below...

From page 2 of the Gold Coast Corvette Club - First Annual Car Show Thread

This is Franklin Feiler's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr built by Superior Custom Classics in Hudson, Florida. The paint color is House of Colors Sunset Orange.

Scrape
    I don't know who made the body for Franklin's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr but I worked with Terry Cook, the guy that originally created Scrape, the car the above body style was designed from. Terry combined the the back half of the 1938/1939 body with the front half of the 1940/1941 Lincoln Zephyr to create a car he called Scrape.

You can read all about how Scrape was created here,

Elements of STYLE- The Birth of a Legend

Terry Cook

I have a keen interest in Scrape and all the variants from my past work with Terry Cook while I worked for Bill Stuart, the owner of the Absorber synthetic drying chamois. Bill had me tour with Terry and Scrape helping to set up the booth, prep Scrape for display and then share the benefits and features of the Absorber. Here's a shot of one of the booths.

In this photo I was applying Meguiar's M98 Medallion to Scrape at the Portland Roadster Show getting ready for the show to open. Ever since working with Terry and Scrape I've had keen interest in Lincoln Zephyrs just from my experience with Scrape.

Just to note, when I first started working with Terry Cook I didn't know he was the Editor for Hot Rod Magazine at one time. Once I found out he offered to edit my first how-to book, "The Art of Polishing Paint". I'm sorry to say that I never finished the second version that Terry was helping me with but fast forward to the present and I have my first in a series of how-to books just about ready to be published both digitally and in print form.

Index

Digital Mock-up

Here's a mock-up of the rough draft on my iPad, this is a chapter on how to divide up the panels of a car into smaller sections for machine compounding and polishing.

1999 Monterey Auction

A few months later Terry Cook brought me to Southern California to buff out and prepare Scrape for the Monterey Auction where Scrape sold at the Monterey Auction in 1999 for a record.$275,000

While I was down there, I also did the wetsand, cut and buffed on one of Terry's other creations, The Titanic.

Hand Sanding the Liberace Lavender Paint on the Titanic

When I arrived in Monterey, they had the Titanic set-up in the 3rd floor of a 4 floor parking garage and all I had for lighting were the overhead florescent tubes. Not what you would call an optimum setting for wetsanding a car that's 20 feet long with case-hardened clear coat paint.

The first photo-documented TEST SPOT - 1999

Back then we didn't have all the cool tools we have now for machine sanding nor the abrasive technology now available in aggressive cutting compounds. It's sure a lot easier to sand down paint and buff it out then it was back then.

Chip Foose & Christopher Titus

While I was prepping Scrape and The Titanic, I also met Chip Foose and Christopher Titus for the first time and ended up hanging out with them for most of the weekend as well as worked on Chip's creation, 0032 a 1932 Ford Roadster that one America's Most Beautiful Roadster Award in 2000

To my knowledge, both Scrape and 0032 are now in the Petersen Museum and I have not heard of or seen the Titanic since that weekend.

A Lincoln Zephyr on our TV Show
    Also just to note, we had a gentleman by the name of Fred Datson on our TV show What's in the Garage? who build an all steel 1938 Lincoln Zephyr and then stuffed a 396 Big Block Chevy engine into it and this was his Daily Driver in Kingsport, Tennessee!

Here's a thread about this episode here on AutogeekOnline.net

Episode 4 - Kingsport, Tennessee

Here's some pictures I took during the taping of the above episode, more pictures by clicking the link.

And if you click the link below you can watch Episode 4 with Fred and his Lincoln. Remember, we're shooting Season 2 of What's in the Garage? starting in January of 2012 and we're looking for cool cars to be on our TV show which we're going to shoot right here in Stuart, Florida at our own TV Studio.

Click here to watch Episode 4 of What's in the Garage?

Anyway, it was fun to see Franklin's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr and I'll see if I can get him to bring it by Autogeek's Show Car Garage sometime in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Scrape, Terry Cook, Chip Foose, Christoper Titus and the Titanic

Mike,
    Check out this '39 Zephyr.....

It is kind of a corny vid with a slow introduction, but the car is pretty cool.

V12 Aston Martin powered......

Randy

Mike Phillips

Re: Scrape, Terry Cook, Chip Foose, Christoper Titus and the Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by ZimRandy View Post
    Mike,
    Check out this '39 Zephyr.....

It is kind of a corny vid with a slow introduction, but the car is pretty cool.

V12 Aston Martin powered......

Randy

While the video is kind of slow I think it's pretty cool they showed how the hood is opened by turning the hood ornament, then checking the oil, then using the remote to start the V-12 engine and then to my surprise the guy just lights the rear tires up!

Pretty cool... thank you for sharing that topical video in this thread...

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely LOVE those custom 40's Lead Sleds. To me they are all about what SoCal custom cars were all about in the 50's and early 60's
    It's really nice to see them being kept up and still made today.

Post Thanks / Like

The Sunset Orange Lincoln Zephyr was Rad to see in person. Simply Beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that first Lincoln Zephyr, but what is going on with the interior? It looks TERRIBLE! Did they just say "we should make it look like a honda on the inside"? It really ruins the whole flow of the car!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool people and even cooler cars.. what's not to like?
    2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 2006 Ford Mustang GT 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4