autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Spacers...How Thick??

So what's your guys' opinion on wheel spacers?

Here's my specific question though...how thick can you safely go without swapping to longer studs???

I ask this because I'm only looking at needing a spacer about 8mm thick, maybe 10 at the most, but probably stop at 8. Do you feel this is safe, and not too thick retaining the stock studs and lug nuts?

Why?? I'm getting new wheels. I found the wheel I want but it's only available in a -24 offset. My current wheels are -32 offset (both wheels [old and new] are both 10" wide) and I love the way they fit. It's perfect. With the new wheel at -24, I'm going to be interested in moving that wheel back out the extra 8mm if it's safe. Yes, it is my opinion that those 8mm's will make a visual difference to the naked eye. I've looked at photo's of truck with the -24 offset, and I can tell. I want my -32.

Anyways...thanks for the opinions and thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Spacers...How Thick??

It would really depend on what your car is and what you do with it.
    My 08 dodge 2500 with the diesel weighs 8300#s empty and when I tow my 5th wheel its at 19k total so anything beyond a few mm I would want new studs as its a lot cheaper than loosing a wheel and totaling my truck or dieing.

But then I am picky that way. YMMV

I agree a 8mm diff would be very noticable to me on the rims unless you where putting 35+ muds on a 16inch or the like.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, it really depends on the application. A general rule-of-thumb is that you need to have AT LEAST as many threads' worth of engagement as diameter. For example and simplicity's sake, if you had a 1/2" bolt with a 10 thread pitch (10 threads per inch), you would need minimum 5 turns on your lug nuts.

Of course, you will need to do the proper conversion to whatever fractional or metric threads you actually have. Unless they are extra long bolts as on some trucks, most passenger cars don't have that amount of extra threads. I would guess with an 8mm spacer, you would have only 2-4mm thread engagement which is not safe.

Another thing to consider is the scrub radius. If, in the end, you change the center of the tire from the manufacturer's original design, the steering wheel will pull in ruts, bumps, etc., and you may experience excessive wheel bearing wear.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told atleast 3 turns(that was a 91 mustang)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arenared View Post

Another thing to consider is the scrub radius. If, in the end, you change the center of the tire from the manufacturer's original design, the steering wheel will pull in ruts, bumps, etc., and you may experience excessive wheel bearing wear.
    I don't think this part is a factor, and here's why. I will be using the spacers to retain the same offset on the new wheels as I currently have on my current wheel, which is aftermarket anyways. I will be running the exact same tire on the new wheel. There really should be no difference here. IMHO, running a 8mm spacer on a wheel with -24 offset to effectively gain -32 offset is no different than running my current wheel with a built in -32 offset. I'd think the truck (wheel bearings, hubs, etc, etc) would no zero difference.

It's on an '02 4WD F150. Don't know the length of the studs...would have to check. Great tip though.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use spacers. If you want the OEM offset, buy wheels with the correct offset, or use the OEM wheels.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no more than 5mm w/o extended studs.