autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsvbGarageGalleryDetailing How To'sDetailing How ToFacebookTwitterYouTube

Go Back   Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum > The Water Cooler > Off-Topic

Register FAQ Upload Photos Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Instagram

Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Best Way To Defrost Windows?

Hey guys I have been sticking to using the heat and scraping away, however, this takes 10 - 15 minutes depending on how cold it is and how thick the frost is.

Anyone use any sprays to cut through the frost?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

The 1z ice stuff, name I forgot, id pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilb3 View Post
Hey guys I have been sticking to using the heat and scraping away, however, this takes 10 - 15 minutes depending on how cold it is and how thick the frost is.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!twitter
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Re: Best Way To Defrost Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpatel View Post
The 1z ice stuff, name I forgot, id pretty decent.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Can i get this locally from an autozone or do I have to order it
Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

If you really need to thaw the windshield in a hurry just pour some cold water directly from the tap. It's probably 55 degrees and will damage absolutely nothing.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette
Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

Put a piece of cardboard over the windshield. I know that doesn't help with the rest of the windows but it takes car of the biggest part.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Can i get this locally from an autozone or do I have to order it

Yes you will have to order it from AG. If you want something OTC, try the de-icing bottles (spray) prestone sells at autozone they work decent on mild snow/fost/ice. Also use some kind of glass coating which will help frost/ice come of faster.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:

I've had mixed experiences using deicer sprays. Yeah, it works, kinda... it's most effective on light accumulations and as soon as the ice softens you'll still need to scrape. The moisture on the glass tries to refreeze until the defroster starts putting out heat. The alcohol content is a better ice preventative than it is a deicer. Plus after you get rolling it ends up all over your vehicle.

Your question was for the "best" way to deal with icy glass... a heated garage

Assuming that isn't an option, anyone that has to park outside in a serious winter climate would do well to bite the bullet and spend a couple of hundred dollars and have a remote starter installed. Swipe the money from your budget for others' gifts if you have to. The very first time you walk out to the car after it sits in freezing rain... the kind that's almost impossible to scrape off until you get some heat on it... and you slip inside your pre-warmed cozy and ice-free vehicle while the wind is whipping around your frozen coworkers/neighbors/friends while they're hacking away at the ice on their wondows you'll consider it money well spent and wonder why you didn't do it years ago!

Of course, if you forget to preset the heater controls when you got out of the car it's all for naught. Don't ask.

TL
Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

I used go out the car ten minutes before i had to go any were and turn the heater on . When i got tired of doing that we move to South Florida no more ice no more frost problem solved
Old 11-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
I used go out the car ten minutes before i had to go any were and turn the heater on . When i got tired of doing that we move to South Florida no more ice no more frost problem solved
Say, effective solution!

How's that work when a hurricane is cruising up your street?

TL
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
I used go out the car ten minutes before i had to go any were and turn the heater on .

It is now illegal to do this in MD. Too many have had their cars stolen by doing this. So Police are now ticketing any car left running while unattended.