autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacing Headliner

Here's something I came across after a quick search. This may help you if you decide to tackle it yourself.

1995 Grand Cherokee Headliner Replacement

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, Did you ever do this headliner replacement and if so how did it turn out? Sorry I didn't reply to your additional question. I should have subscribed to this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuscarora Dave,

I'm not sure if 3M Super 77 has been reformulated since you worked in the body shop, but it currently says that it is not to be used for automotive headliners. I made this mistake about a month or two ago when I replaced the headliner in my Mazda 6. I bought a can of Super 77 at Wal-Mart because I had originally intended to re-adhere a portion of the headliner that had fallen in the rear corner. When I decided to replace the entire headliner, I used the Super 77 I had on hand and within a week, my new headliner was barely hanging on. I had to peel it back off and I bought a different 3M material that is meant for light duty headliners. I can't remember the part number, but it was available at the local O'Reilly's Auto Part Store.

Again, they may have changed their formula since you used it, but the back of the can currently says it's not to be used on automotive headliners, and I found out why, the hard way, lol. I did my headliner before I read this thread, so I blame nobody but myself for not reading the back of the can before using it. Whoops!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the headliner in my 86 442 when I owned it. It was pretty simple since it had T-Tops and was only the piece over the rear seats. I pulled it out, removed the old liner, then cleaned the backer board really well to remove all the old adhesive. I used the 3M spray can adhesive and some gray fabric I bought at JoAnn Fabrics (wasn't made for headliners but worked). Just have to be careful once you lay the fabric down cause it can be tricky to ensure a smooth finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    To the OP, Did you ever do this headliner replacement and if so how did it turn out? Sorry I didn't reply to your additional question. I should have subscribed to this thread.
    Yes I did finally get around to replacing my headliner in my jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. I bought black headliner material by the yard, 3 cans of 3m 90 adhesive and black trim plugs. The materials cost roughly $100 dollars and took me about 10 hours over 2 days. Re covering the visors was the hardest part of the project and they did not come out perfect. For my first attempt I think it came out pretty good considering a upholstery shop quoted $800 dollars to recover the headliner. After replacing the headliner the adhesive out gassed heavily for a few days, covering my windows with a thick film.

The old material separated from the foam with little resistance.

The foam is supposed to be black and not brown.

Overhead console before.

Overhead console before.

Mirror closed after.

Visor open after.

Headliner edge after.

Headliner after. Please excuse the passanger side visor one of the clips broke and I have since ordered a replacement.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12