autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Experience Level of poster in posts and product reviews ?

Hi all,

I'm going to keep this simple.

In a recent thread by a member who considers himself a newbie he stated he was a "newbie" in a product review.

This response was posted to his product review (not going to say by whom)

"Great review. Stop calling yourself a newbie, it ruins the validity of the review."

My Question to the forum is this.

Do you think a review has less validity because the poster states his experience level? Or do you think it adds to the post because if offers more info about the posters abilities?

I DO NOT want to start any flaming here. As a "newbie" I would like to know what you all think, I know I looked for reviews from new people to see what a new guy (or gal) could do with any single product. I like talking to fellow noobs so we both know our capabilities. I also make sure I post I'm a noob whenever I'm giving any sort of help or opinion.

I also think it's great to get reviews from pro's so we can see what we are supposed to be able to accomplish.

It's a simple question...Should we give our experience level when we post product reviews or?

Thanks ~~ Yale
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Mike Phillips

Re: Experience Level of poster in posts and product reviews ?

Good question...

One benefit to stating that you're new to this craft is if you make a mistake, chances are probably better the forum members will understand you're still learning and instead of criticizing any mistakes will go positive and point out where they think you could improve.

There's a fairly wide line between providing feed back to someone new to detailing in an effort to help them improve themselves and their technique simply pointing out their mistakes in a public way that makes them never want to share their work again.

Luckily the forum members that make up the Autogeek Online community trend towards positive support with thoughtful and helpful contributions.

Post Thanks / Like

I read all posts and give them the same weight. Some here have years doing this,some weeks. Some people learn faster than others and can do things others cant. I try not to judge anyone. YMMV.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I think its nice for some background info, due to the more experience might be willing to jump in and say... "Hey you did great but next time try priming your pad first, it will make it easier for you" Along those lines....
    We are all here to learn and there is a large group here to help, would be a waste not to learn from each other. So yes its nice to state it but not neccessary by any means. As for reviews I love when newbies do them, if they use them and get great results it lets me know the product is user friendly. So many people get caught up in the theory that you have to be a pro to polish out your car. But with a little guidence there is no reason for anyone not to be able to maintain a show room finish on their vehicles.... all forum members contribute, whether new or pro's!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like a newbie everyday. Since I try and learn something new everyday
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

In the reviews section - I look at it as everyone is equal.

However, in the show and shine, it is different.
    I like to take what people do there, and with what methods to get results, and say "OK, product X is capable of this result."
    This gives me a good idea as to what to expect out of a product, and/or what can be expected out of a product.

An example would be - a newb and a pro both give a review of M105. Both say it is an excellent product, but the newb thinks it dusts too much.
    Then the same said posters give a show and shine and you see the results vary, and you also see the method of the pro was different. That is a more accurate review to me of a product than ones opinion.

Hope that makes sense and wasn't just rambling.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Being one of those "newbie's" myself I feel more comfortable letting people know this if I have an opinion on a product.

I have learned alot here and have tried many products in the pursuit of finding my own favorites, etc. so I am kind of like a kid in a candy store and my excitement with trying all these new things can get waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to read what everyone has to say, newbies or not.....Obviously the pro's input is valuable, but I also like to read "in my experience" as I'm not a professional detailer but hold my own I guess and am happy with the results.....

I usually start with "in my experience blah blah blah"
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

I think stating your experience level is a good thing, even though it may seem redundant after a while (at least to those of us who read nearly every post, every day). But there are many people who may just be browsing for the first time or looking for one quick answer. As was said already it can help show how user friendly (or not) a product is. I think there is more benefit than drawback from "I'm a noob" or "In my limited experience" posts. It is very encouraging for a newbie to see great results from a newbie.

Great question by the way, I hadn't really thought about it consciously until you brought it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I often have to refer products to different users, some professionals and other are weekend detailers. I appreciate reviews that candidly review where the detailer feels his/her skills are currently, because it often shows others just what can be done using those products and techniques as offered in review. Certainly a basis or one of many facts to consider ...

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast