autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange situation I have

I did my first detail of the season yesterday. It was a simple wash, clay and seal job. I quoted him 4 hours and ended up taking 6 because his vehicle had so much contamination it would just not go away.

Anyway. Today when I talked to him he mentioned he had a piece of 3M clear bra material missing on his chrome trim on the front passenger door. He is supposed to send me pictures tonight.

Thing is, my pressure washer is busted. I had to use a water lance to wash and rinse the SUV. So I know there was no pressure applied anywhere on the vehicle. I did not clay the door where he mentions his chrome trim is. And I really doubt a microfiber wash glove can remove 3M clearbra.

What do you guys think? And what would you do? Has anything like this ever happened to you?

I am really baffled by this and don't know what to think or do...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange situation I have

Not to be mean in anyway so don't take it personally.Its kind of your fault by not detecting before the detail.first thing I do when I approach any vehicle is look at every panel carefully,when a customer is talking to me in the process I zone out not listening to what he or she is saying for the moment.you stated you lost time he deosnt care about that.so here are 3 solutions,either pay half or pay for the entire repair or walk away.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did he have clear bra on the trim on the passenger door? This sounds like the usual clueless customer who only looks at his car after it's detailed so he can blame you for something that you had nothing to do with.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just removed the 3M clear bra off of the front of hood, front bumper & mirrors of my SVT Cobra because it obscured the natural shine of the paint & magnified any orange peel texture.

Its removal took lots of hours, lots of muscle, proper technique & heat to remove it. I have used the pressure washer on this car many times & it didn't lift the clear bra at all. It is almost impossible to imagine that a wash could loosen, let alone remove it unless it it was improperly installed and not properly adhered to the trim in question.

Post Thanks / Like

No inspection form? You set yourself up for a fall. Sounds like the owner is a snake but he will blame you in every possible way unless you pay to fix it. ?Tough lesson!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to check the other door to see if it actually exists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkSRT View Post
    Don't forget to check the other
    door to see if it actually exists.
    ^^^ This is Great Advice! ^^^

Not saying some people don't have
    it done...But I've never seen PPF
    appliqués on chrome trim pieces...
    especially on chrome door trims!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Yea absolutely something that wouldn't just come off with a wash. Maybe show him videos of removal of film so he can see how it can't be an accident and agreed, yes check the other door.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are funny

Of course I inspect the vehicle before working on it. I noticed the clear bra on the Hood, side front pannels and mirrors. I did not think to look for it on a piece of chrome on the door That piece of chrome is like half an inch wide by 6 inches long. So what ever. If I have to replace it I am expecting it to be pretty cheap. I was just curious if anyone had any had anything like that happen to them. I am 95% sure I could not have removed it by doing a simple wash. Will she what Customer wants when (if) he comes back to me. He gave me a 30$ tip so if he insists on having it replaced, I probably won't fight it. Just a silly situation My first one in 4 years so I am not too upset about it either.

Post Thanks / Like

Without seeing it in person...I've seen quit a few of those little chrome pieces that have some sort of super thin "film" on them from the factory. Also seen MANY of them that are all flakey, much like peeling skin from a sun burn.

Seems like if there is one tiny fracture in this coating, water (or whatever) gets in and under the 'film' and the stuff starts flaking off.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast