autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Developing New Polishes...Input from AGO

This thread is going to be interesting

Post Thanks / Like

are you considering useing smat or diminishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you used any of the Menzerna or Wolfgang polishes?
    Yes and Yes.

I have used every Menzerna Polish listed on this site along with TSR and FG from Wolfgang.

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    are you considering useing smat or diminishing?
    It all depends on what patents will allow and what works best for my formulations based on some research and testing. I am looking for some suggestions on things to look for, so micro or nano abrasives could both be in order.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailbyfemale View Post
    for me---a decent detail includes 5 stages--scratch removal, deep cleaning, wax, polish, and the finishing teflon....quaranteed to bring up pinheads on the surface in the rain...for the next year....
    That seems like a strange process for detailing. Why would you polish after cleaning the paint and waxing it, that would remove any protection you had just applied? And since PTFE (Teflon) has to be heated for adhesion, why would you use it instead of an acrylic or silicone sealant? Also you mention teflon following waxing; wouldn't that inhibit sealant bonding due to the oils in wax?

If the process work for you, then use it often. However I prefer a slightly different process; compound/scratch removal, polish, paint cleaner, sealant, wax.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know if there is already a polish out there that can change in appeareance to signal that the polish is indeed broke down with diminishing abrasives-say a blue polish that would turn white,thus leaving out any guess on are part- i know it sounds stupid but you being a chemist would know if thats possible-that could be vary marketable also-something that the operator would be able to see outside off what we already know to look for when a polish is broken down

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    i dont know if there is already a polish out there that can change in appeareance to signal that the polish is indeed broke down with diminishing abrasives-say a blue polish that would turn white,thus leaving out any guess on are part- i know it sounds stupid but you being a chemist would know if thats possible-that could be vary marketable also-something that the operator would be able to see outside off what we already know to look for when a polish is broken down
    Thats a very cool idea

Btw: I wish you the best with this Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck on your project. Remember your friends at Autogeek.

It's good to have a chemist in the family.

Someday when your rich and famous, we can say that we knew him when !!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a cool idea Jon! I wish you the best and would love to see you take the Detailing industry by storm. If you need a tester I would be happy to try it out. I have access to alot of lease turnins that I can rough up and put it through its paces.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Developing New Polishes...Input from AGO

Jim wrote: Why would you polish after cleaning the paint and waxing it, that would remove any protection you had just applied? And since PTFE (Teflon) has to be heated for adhesion, why would you use it instead of an acrylic or silicone sealant?

seeing how "polish" is a less dense product----and with the proper foam pad---it seems to help the carnuba "float" a tad more evenly on the surface after removal (and yes, being a prior paint prepper I tend to notice surface "warpage") ---as for the teflon---it is merely a "quick detail" spray that is light weight and finished with microfiber....

perhaps it is a matter of geographics....your down in the humidity and dampness and I am over here in the sunshine and salt....but seeing how I am up here in WA in the mold and moss----I will consider your technique app for my more "wet" climate.....peace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailbyfemale View Post
    seeing how "polish" is a less dense product----and with the proper foam pad---it seems to help the carnuba "float" a tad more evenly on the surface after removal (and yes, being a prior paint prepper I tend to notice surface "warpage") ---as for the teflon---it is merely a "quick detail" spray that is light weight and finished with microfiber....

perhaps it is a matter of geographics....your down in the humidity and dampness and I am over here in the sunshine and salt....but seeing how I am up here in WA in the mold and moss----I will consider your technique app for my more "wet" climate.....peace

Im still having a hard time following you

When you say polish do you mean a product with swirl removing capabilities?

Sorry but can you break your process down a little more and maybe tell us what products you use? Im curious because it seems a little counterproductive to me but I could be reading it wrong. And I am just really curious.
    Sorry for getting off topic Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast