autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviewed: The EDGE ShMITT

The EDGE "ShMitt"

As you all know, I'm an avid user of the EDGE 2000 Pad System. So when Aaron from EDGE sent me a ShMitt wash mitt to test and review, I could not refuse. This company is willing to stir things up and reinvent products that we use. I've had nothing but success from all of their products and this is one is no exception.

Let's start with some background on this new wash mitt. It can be made in several combinations. The one I'm writing about uses their super-soft white foam from their finishing pad coupled with the yellow form from their cutting pad. My two favorite foam pads in a wash mit. Yes.

I used this one mitt on over 60+ vehicles over a 1 month period. There were SUV's, cars, and trucks in the mix. Sharp edges and very dirty panels. I washed out with my hand, my pressure washer, and daily in my washing machine. I even used it on wheels and in the engine bay. Believe me, it got abused.

I'm going to break this down into five sections comparing what they claim to my own experiences.

FASTER

No loose fibers to snag
    This is something that I had a huge problem with other mitts. I'd finish a car and there would be fabric stuck around the emblems. Nasty looking and was destroying my new mitt. Not with the ShMitt. Nothing come off the mitt except the dirt.

Reaches tight spaces
    The EDGE technology came into play here. I could now get into areas of the grills and window edges like never before.

Virtually drop-proof
    As you can see from the pictures, it fit my hand like a glove. As a normal mitt would be filled with water, it became heavy at one end. This would cause it to slide off my hand and sometimes drop off. Not a good thing. The ShMitt distributes the water evenly throughout the pad giving the same resistance.

BETTER

Foam specifically engineered for gentle cleaning
    Using their softest foam, I never noticed any marring or scratching. I used it for 1 month on over 60+ vehicles and never induced any swirls.

Convoluted Edge Wave© surface
    This allowed the dirty water to flow from under the pad and off the vehicles surface. The more textured yellow pad side easily removed bugs and grime from surfaces.

Holds and generates suds
    I noticed that on the way from the bucket to the panel, the ShMitt never dropped any water or suds. When I went to wash, their they were! Tons of lubricating suds formed. No wasted soap water and no mess. This was a mjor problem with a normal mitt.

Sheds grit easily -
    grit doesn’t work into the pad, so it’s much less
    likely to scratch paint
    I think of foam as a pourous material that would hold dirt. Not with these foams. Using the two bucket technique, the ShMitt cleaned up with a gentle brush from my free hand. I used to have to ring out my old mitts taking up time and energy.

Foam resists deterioration so texture stays consistet
    As you all know, a normal mitts structure does change after every use. The fibers become rougher and they actually change due to use and chemical. This changes a first soft wash mitt into and rougher and rougher pad. Not with the ShMitt. The foam never changes. I know this from using the same white finishing pad with my PC for over 5 months now.

Won’t rot or mildew
    It took days sometimes for my old mitts to dry. This would cause an awfull smell and sometimes mold even formed. Remember I do this all day long five days a week. The EDGE ShMitt rings out almost dry and would be totally dry in about 15 minutes in the sun.

EASIER

Fits like a glove, not a bag
    It really does. Fits snuggly around my wrist giving it a locked-in sensation. The weight is even and is very light.

Soft poly foam is comfortable next to your skin
    EDGE's white foam is one of the softest materials I know of. I noticed it was bery gentle on my skin....even when full of water.

Ergonomic design reduces carpal tunnel stress
    I noticed this immediately. My shoulders and arms usually become tired when using a water filled sheepskin mitt because I'm actually having to hold onto the mitt from the inside while washing. Not with the ShMitt. Being so snugg allows me to was with no stress on my arms. I sometimes do 5-6 cars and SUV's in a day. This adds up. I felt totally different when using the ShMitt. Rested almost. This was the major impact on me while reviewing it.

Conclusion...
    This is a very innovative product. It will take time to convert but when you decide to, you'll be very happy. I was spending 20+ dollars per month in replacing old, dirt filled wash mitts. Not with the Shmitt. One month later, and other than a few nicks, it's like new. No sticks or trash that can't be removed because I never dropped it once! If I did, there are no fibers to intangle the garbage and turn the mitt into a sanding pad. At a retail price of 12.99, it's a deal. Saved me 8.00 in just the first month as well as saving me time and stress I had with an average wash mitt.

As a professional that details 35-40 hours per week, I fully endorse EDGE's new ShMitt. Get one and try it. It's made with the best prodcts from one of the best companies in the business. You have nothing to loose and alot to save.

Pictures...
    Fitts very snug as you can see....

Obviously there are nicks, but nothing left on the vehicle.

The yellow cutting side has no damage and holds no dirt.

After 60+ vehicles, still works and act like a new pad even with light nicking. It's properties are still the same without any added debris.
    Would I wash this 30,000 dollar Camaro with it if it was?
    NO!

Last edited by justin_murphy; 01-20-2007 at 05:50 AM.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review! I want one! When will AG have these in stock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC
    Great review! I want one! When will AG have these in stock?
    They will very soon.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Awsome, I will get one.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Justin!! It looks like another excellent product from Edge!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Even we are excited about your reivew!! Thanks!!! The ShMiTTs are already available from autogeek.net but they may not be on their website yet. Keep in mind we also make a fantastic Wheel ShMiTT for the wheels, tires, and wheel wells. Made out of our coarse black foam for scrubbing brake dust easily off rims.

Aaron Krause (President & CEO)
    777 Henderson Blvd.
    Suites # 1 & 2
    Folcroft, PA 19032
    ---------------------------------------
     Phone: (610) 583-4883
     Fax: (610) 583-4885
     Email: aaron@dedicationtodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, that is a great review. I'm sold!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason must have sent me one of the originals ... mine was all one color and resembled a buffing pad exactly. I had to cut it slightly to get my hand to fit. It was soft ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    Jason must have sent me one of the originals ... mine was all one color and resembled a buffing pad exactly. I had to cut it slightly to get my hand to fit. It was soft ....
    gotta take all the gold off first

Aaron - price is a lot cheaper then I though it would be, I remember on DetailCity I could swear they were saying 20-30+ bucks or more. Can't wait to grab one. The V8 Emblems and other badges (along with certain areas of the truck) always caught fibers and strands from my mitts that would drive me nutz trying to get off.
    Last edited by Surfer; 09-22-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I want one too!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast