autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just received and used Cam Spray foam gun

My first new gadget is the Cam Spray foam gun. I did a search for foam guns a while back and someone on this autogeek forum mentioned the Cam Spray. I ordered it online after watching a youtube video of a foam gun. Can't say for sure it was a Cam spray but I wanted to get thick foam on my car. It was $75.99 online and shipping was free. The Cam Spray works with a gas powered pressure washer and supports 3000 psi. No instructions came with the foamer. The first thing I had to do was get some fittings from my local Lowes to attach the gun to my pressure washer wand ($6). I went with a quick connect fitting (male one end 1/4 inches, quick attach at other end).

Once I got all the hardware I poured 2 cap fulls of Maguires Gold Class wash in the very small Cam Spray bottle and filled the bottle with water and turned it on. I had the dial on the Cam Spray all the way open for full concentration. I got great foam but the bottle was empty in about 10 seconds. That was maybe the hood and top of the car. So I decided to pour about a half inch of Gold Class in the bottle and fill the rest with water. I turned the dial all the way the other way for minimum concentration. I got even better foam and was able to circle the car twice before the foam ran out. I let the foam sit on the car a while (5 minutes or so) before I rinsed the car off with the pressure washer. I thought I found a shortcut and went to dry the car. A couple of drying passes and I saw dirt on the towel. So I went back to the 2 bucket hand wash method and started from scratch.

I love the foam but in the end it wasn't any different than if I had just used the 2 bucket method in the first place. I will work on the technique next weekend. I think folks that buy the garden hose foamer and are able to switch from foam to rinse are going to be better off. It is not that easy to switch from foam to rinse with a pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just received and used Cam Spray foam gun

I always assumed you would have to physically remove the dirt even with the foam gun. The advantage of the foam gun is to evenly disribute a nice lubricating medium to remove the dirt with while minimizing any marring which may occur. I was always under the impression that actually powerwashing the dirt off, even with the foam, is a no-no because the power of the water drives the sediment right into the finish. I am a rookie as well so hopefully a well seasoned detailer will chyme in on this topic.

Pat.
    2006 Black Rav4.

Makita 9227C, UDM, Optimum polishes,Menzerna Power Finish, Pinnacle XMT polishes, Poorboy's Sealant, Collnite Insulator wax, various 4,6.5,and 8 inch CCS pads. Edge pads. Microfiber towels galore. And a big thanks to Meghan for shipping to Walt Disney World.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pricha00 View Post
    I always assumed you would have to physically remove the dirt even with the foam gun. The advantage of the foam gun is to evenly disribute a nice lubricating medium to remove the dirt with while minimizing any marring which may occur. I was always under the impression that actually powerwashing the dirt off, even with the foam, is a no-no because the power of the water drives the sediment right into the finish. I am a rookie as well so hopefully a well seasoned detailer will chyme in on this topic.

Pat.

I really think you are correct. Next time I will foam then wash with mitt. The problem is the rinse after the mitt. If I mitt then don't rinse I will leave soap spots. If I rinse then I have to change attachments. I am not really sure what the most efficient method is. I can tell you that whatever it is I didn't do it and I haven't figured it out. Also I used the Gold Class wash because I didn't have anything else. Maybe something else makes the process easier, but I don't know what the process is at this point. The foam is just flat out fun though. I don't know why I liked it so much. I will foam and wash my wife's Highlander tomorrow. Maybe I will improve some.

Post Thanks / Like

that's one thing i like about the foam gun (the one that attaches to your hose), not only can you pre-foam up the car, you can use it while you're washing. you can't do that with the foam cannon/lance...
    Last edited by VISITOR; 08-03-2008 at 12:22 PM.