autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Arrival from Buff and Shine!

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    I've been using uro-cell foam pads almost exclusively on my rotary and gg6. I can say that they are extremely smooth. The orange is my favorite 1-step pad and the red has become my exclusive finishing pad for HD Speed. One word of caution is not to use the Blue uro-cell pad on a rotary because of the heat. It will destroy the cell structure and ruin the pad. Haven't had that problem with the orange or red on Rotary. All 3 are incredible on standard 8mm DA's. I've even used the red on my rupes mk2 15 with good results as long as you use lower speeds.
    The Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech had similar issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    They sound similar to the LC hydrotechs? Same thing??
    It appears that the Uro-Cell is B&S' offering similar to the Hydrotech.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, it's basically the same thing but depending on where you look they are nearly half the price. Personally the uro-cell are WAY better than Hydro-tech pad for 8mm DA applications. Plus, they have a 1/2 inch larger diameter and the center hole to keep the pads cooler. Plus, they maintain their shape much better after washing.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems a good one. I'll probably try..

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I have to try that uro fiber pad.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, it's basically the same thing but depending on where you look they are nearly half the price. Personally the uro-cell are WAY better than Hydro-tech pad for 8mm DA applications. Plus, they have a 1/2 inch larger diameter and the center hole to keep the pads cooler. Plus, they maintain their shape much better after washing.
    How are you washing and drying those Hydro pads?

I've had that happen too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    How are you washing and drying those Hydro pads?

I've had that happen too.
    I'm certain your method is better, but I'm glad you asked because I'm convinced I've been doing something wrong. Before I tell you how I generally wash hydro-tech's, I have to say that I wish all pads had the tensile strength of B&S flats. I only use the open cell European prepolymer foams (red, white, orange, yellow), but I LOVE that once they become overly saturated I can just throw them into a 5 gal. bucket of warm water along with .5 oz of 3D Towel Kleen. Then after work I can just throw all of my used B&S flats as well as my uro-tec yellow polishing pads into the washing machine on sensitive/hand wash/cold water along with another half ounce of 3D Towel Kleen and then sit them on a elevated rack to dry. Even with lack of care, they are resilient enough to go through that same process between 25-40 times (IME).

But, when I'm using closed-cell foams (hydro-tech or uro-cell) if I tried to follow the same washing regimen the cell structure can become compromised after only 3-5 uses. The best way I've found is just cleaning them immediately after using. I spray them with diluted 1z blitz (best concentrated APC I've found that won't dry your hands out and it always rinses clean and never leaves any residue behind). I then GENTLY massage the face of the pad to produce a sudsy lather and rinse the APC out under cold water. I then fill up a bucket with about a gallon of reverse osmosis water. I installed an in-line reverse osmosis drinking water system under my kitchen sink that filters my tap water. I soak them for a few minutes then gently squeeze the water out and set them on a rack in my basement to dry. I follow the same steps with microfiber cutting pads as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably try it too.. oh and noted on the uro fiber pad

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certain your method is better, but I'm glad you asked because I'm convinced I've been doing something wrong. Before I tell you how I generally wash hydro-tech's, I have to say that I wish all pads had the tensile strength of B&S flats. I only use the open cell European prepolymer foams (red, white, orange, yellow), but I LOVE that once they become overly saturated I can just throw them into a 5 gal. bucket of warm water along with .5 oz of 3D Towel Kleen. Then after work I can just throw all of my used B&S flats as well as my uro-tec yellow polishing pads into the washing machine on sensitive/hand wash/cold water along with another half ounce of 3D Towel Kleen and then sit them on a elevated rack to dry. Even with lack of care, they are resilient enough to go through that same process between 25-40 times (IME).

But, when I'm using closed-cell foams (hydro-tech or uro-cell) if I tried to follow the same washing regimen the cell structure can become compromised after only 3-5 uses. The best way I've found is just cleaning them immediately after using. I spray them with diluted 1z blitz (best concentrated APC I've found that won't dry your hands out and it always rinses clean and never leaves any residue behind). I then GENTLY massage the face of the pad to produce a sudsy lather and rinse the APC out under cold water. I then fill up a bucket with about a gallon of reverse osmosis water. I installed an in-line reverse osmosis drinking water system under my kitchen sink that filters my tap water. I soak them for a few minutes then gently squeeze the water out and set them on a rack in my basement to dry. I follow the same steps with microfiber cutting pads as well.
    Thanks!

My hydros deformed after washing them with a similar regimen to yours, but I spun dried them on speed 4 with the PC. They were never the same after that, and they wouldn't center on the plate. I had never tried that method before, and I'll never use it again. So far, so good with letting them air dry after compressing them between a towel.

I also do a LOT of work with the green, blue, and red Buff and Shine pads. Yes, those are some pretty tough pads for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone really tested these uro-fiber pads yet? Side by side against Megs, LC HDO and Griots Boss would be great. I live in europe and none of those are available here, im going to order from USA, but want to know absolutely which one is the best microfiber pad. Currently i use Buff and Shine thick ones and Megs mf discs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12