autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D AAT 505 Correction Glaze (Like SPEED, but BETTER!)

I have tried numerous 3D products and all are quality. HD Speed being my favorite. The AAT line products were both nice, long work time and no dust. However I have found the 501 and HD Cut to lack the cutting power of my 3M Ex-Cut compound for use with the rotary. I would say that the both finish down better, but I am more concerned with the product having the teeth to cut out sanding marks quickly.

One thing that has me interested in this new product though... It is geared towards a Body Shop. Well if it is a AIO I highly doubt it has the cut to remove sanding marks on its own. And it claims to be fresh paint safe. Nick claims it is longer lasting than Speed. No sealant is safe over fresh paint? In my numerous years of going to manufacturer training they have always told us it was not OK to wax or seal. So what gives?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncmizzou01 View Post
    I have tried numerous 3D products and all are quality. HD Speed being my favorite. The AAT line products were both nice, long work time and no dust. However I have found the 501 and HD Cut to lack the cutting power of my 3M Ex-Cut compound for use with the rotary. I would say that the both finish down better, but I am more concerned with the product having the teeth to cut out sanding marks quickly.

One thing that has me interested in this new product though... It is geared towards a Body Shop. Well if it is a AIO I highly doubt it has the cut to remove sanding marks on its own. And it claims to be fresh paint safe. Nick claims it is longer lasting than Speed. No sealant is safe over fresh paint? In my numerous years of going to manufacturer training they have always told us it was not OK to wax or seal. So what gives?
    Exactly my thoughts. Fresh paint and paint protection doesn't go hand in hand. But if they found a way to protect paint and still let it breathe then they're doing everything right at 3D

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleKing24 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Fresh paint and paint protection doesn't go hand in hand. But if they found a way to protect paint and still let it breathe then they're doing everything right at 3D
    Mequiars also has a product like 505

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz.
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mp0wer View Post
    Mequiars also has a product like 505

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz.
    Well I guess I've been living under a rock. Thanks for the info! Would you happen to know the durability of the protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess I've been living under a rock. Thanks for the info! Would you happen to know the durability of the protection?

I'm using it and it's been on for a month and it is holding up very well. Survived a couple storms that dropped a lot of water here in Southern California and weekly rinseless washes.

Post Thanks / Like

We’ve been testing our compounds against popular brands (3M specifically) since we came out with the original version of HD Cut and if we go back even further I would say we did this with UNO even back in the day too. We’re continually reengineering our compounds to cut deeper, faster and leave a more superiorly refined finish than our competitors. Because we market our AAT system towards body shops, we’re constantly going head to head with the industry go-to which is 3M. I can honestly say from all our tests with the AAT system that it’s outperformed 3M’s in pretty much every category possible. And please keep in mind that we pride ourselves in being able to accomplish our refinement in only 2 buffing steps! The biggest critique we hear from our shops is usually on par with what you’re mentioning. That’s typically because they’ve heard how great our AAT system is and then ended purchased our liquids, but didn’t realize how important it is to also purchase our pads too. The reason for this issue is usually the wool pad that is being paired with our compound isn’t one that complements our system. 3M promotes using their very aggressive twisted wool pad, where our system uses our proprietary short nap lambs wool pad. We continually find that if you use this long napped pad with our compound you won’t obtain an optimal result. We’ve actually engineered our system to be paired specially with our pad(s). The way in which our pad(s) hold our abrasive and lubricants is truly an art in and of itself. This combo allows the user to quickly razor through 1200 grit sand scratches (on fresh especially even though most sand to 3000 grit) in a matter of a few passes leaving a very shallow swirl after. I would highly suggest trying our pad to see for yourself how different this system works: 8" White Lamb Wool Cutting Pad - 3dproducts

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has me interested in this new product though... It is geared towards a Body Shop. Well if it is a AIO I highly doubt it has the cut to remove sanding marks on its own. And it claims to be fresh paint safe. Nick claims it is longer lasting than Speed.
    Even though our AAT Correction Glaze can remove 3000 grit sand scratches (Speed can actually do this), I certainly wouldn’t suggest using it for the initial cutting step. This would be a great product for the 2nd/refinement step or for correcting dull, adjacent to freshly painted, panels. What makes this product even greater isn’t that it’s fresh paint safe (every product in our line is fresh paint safe in fact), but it’s also Body Shop Safe which is even more demanding to have in a shop environment.

No sealant is safe over fresh paint? In my numerous years of going to manufacturer training they have always told us it was not OK to wax or seal. So what gives?
    Guys – I could write book on the misinformation that has been spread on the internet in regards to not sealing fresh paint and don’t mind discussing this even further…..but rest assured that this product, as well as ALL our protectants, are totally safe for fresh finishes. Just to make you aware, our AAT system is the only one that is endorsed and recommended by PPG in Europe. We also sell our line through very large body shop suppliers (both in the US and abroad) who have been selling HD Poxy to body shops for many years. 100’s of body shops all over the world have been sealing their fresh paint work with that product without 1 incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Guys – I could write book on the misinformation that has been spread on the internet in regards to not sealing fresh paint and don’t mind discussing this even further…..but rest assured that this product, as well as ALL our protectants, are totally safe for fresh finishes. Just to make you aware, our AAT system is the only one that is endorsed and recommended by PPG in Europe. We also sell our line through very large body shop suppliers (both in the US and abroad) who have been selling HD Poxy to body shops for many years. 100’s of body shops all over the world have been sealing their fresh paint work with that product without 1 incident.
    Dave, this is awesome and I was not aware of this fact. I wished I had known sooner. I had a number of clients last season who I deferred 30 days or more because they were in an accident and wanted a good polish/sealant. Armed with this information, I feel confident booking ASAP after a customer has a mishap. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Dave, this is awesome and I was not aware of this fact. I wished I had known sooner. I had a number of clients last season who I deferred 30 days or more because they were in an accident and wanted a good polish/sealant. Armed with this information, I feel confident booking ASAP after a customer has a mishap. Thank you!
    You're welcome! I've been arguing about the myth of not sealing fresh paint forever. This whole belief stems back to the days of lacquer paint where it was necessary for these finishes to outgas for many months as the paint stayed really "wet". Paint technology has changed, but it seems that people's way of thinking hasn't. I'd be very leery of a protectant product that could actually affect a fresh paint finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Even though our AAT Correction Glaze can remove 3000 grit sand scratches (Speed can actually do this), I certainly wouldn’t suggest using it for the initial cutting step. This would be a great product for the 2nd/refinement step or for correcting dull, adjacent to freshly painted, panels. What makes this product even greater isn’t that it’s fresh paint safe (every product in our line is fresh paint safe in fact), but it’s also Body Shop Safe which is even more demanding to have in a shop environment.

I'm with Paul. I also had a customer who just had a repaint that I had wait 30 days. I guess even though there is truth to it on older finishes, today it has become an old wives tale as far as newer finishes? Awesome to know. I will definitely be buying some when Autogeek stocks it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast